Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt Season Finished With Back Problems

Re: BOLT SEASON FINNISH WITH BACK PROBLEMS

Better safe than sorry. I think his camp know whats best for him and Bolt being 100% healthy for 2011 and 2012 is vital. So don't be too upset about it :wink:

Comment

Wow, he gets beat once and he takes his ball and goes home.

Listen, I suppose he is protecting himself so that he is healthy for the 2011 and 2012 seasons. But am I the only one who thinks this is a bit of a cop out? Back tightness Usain? You have a tight back? Welcome to being an athlete. If he has a herniated disc or something else more serious causing the problems then he needs to quickly say so, because having a tight back is not a good enough reason to quit for 2010.

I am a fan and a supporter, but I am thoroughly disappointed .

Comment

Just felt that he brought this on himself because base on what i know he doesn't takes care of himself as a world class athlete should.

Comment

Originally posted by TrainerPhil
          Wow, he gets beat once and he takes his starting blocks and goes home.
          Fixed that quote for you. :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2
            Wow, he gets beat once and he takes his starting blocks and goes home.
            Fixed that quote for you. :wink:
            Gracias

Comment

http://www.iaaf.org/news/kind=100/newsid=57956.html

Article on IAAF page.

Comment

Listen, I suppose he is protecting himself so that he is healthy for the 2011 and 2012 seasons. But am I the only one who thinks this is a bit of a cop out? Back tightness Usain? You have a tight back? Welcome to being an athlete. If he has a herniated disc or something else more serious causing the problems then he needs to quickly say so, because having a tight back is not a good enough reason to quit for 2010.

I must say that was a little harsh man, he has let down the fans but just think if his back injury is serious now it can affect his performance very badly and could lead to more problems. You just like me and others want to see Bolt Tyson and powell line up more often but it can't happen if they aren't healthy enough to race each other. As of now neither of the top 3 are anywhere close to 100% fit despite the world leading times. You may call Bolt calling time on his 2010 season a suckout move but whats worse Bolt not being 100% in a non-championship year or not being able to perform to his highest capabilities in 2011/12?

Comment

Let me say I love track and field.

But what I hate about the sport is its dependence on WC and Olympic years. Sure, I understand why: that's where the money and prestige is. It's just unfortunate that athletes, at least the elite ones, tend to write off the non-championship years and deprive fans of great competition. One little tweak and, good-bye, see you in preparation for the WC or Olympics. I sure wish there was a way to place more importance on the "off" seasons, and the creation of the Diamond League certainly tried (and failed so far, IMO), but the sport in this regard is broken. There are no "off" years in the major sports, and that's one reason they enjoy a greater popularity. Can you imagine Tom Brady or Kobe taking their sport seriously every other year?

Track is one of the few sports where athletes do not want to play with a tweak, and are strongly advised by their people not to play with a tweak. Again, I get it. Can't jeopardize the Worlds or the Games.

Comment

Originally posted by Top_end_speed

I must say that was a little harsh man, he has let down the fans but just think if his back injury is serious now it can affect his performance very badly and could lead to more problems. You just like me and others want to see Bolt Tyson and powell line up more often but it can't happen if they aren't healthy enough to race each other. As of now neither of the top 3 are anywhere close to 100% fit despite the world leading times. You may call Bolt calling time on his 2010 season a suckout move but whats worse Bolt not being 100% in a non-championship year or not being able to perform to his highest capabilities in 2011/12?
                    To be clear I have a background in Sports Medicine so I know all about the short-term and long-term implications of injuries. I also know that back tightness is a very common complaint in sports. Maybe he has a serious problem that is causing the tightness in his back. Maybe he has a legitimate reason not to run again in 2010. But he cannot call the season quits and his only reason for doing so is back tightness. If there is more to the story, he better tell it because he looks soft at the moment.

Comment

Did you once describe yourself as a coach in Florida? Because that is one of the most distressing posts from someone who conditions athletes. I recognize this is a messageboard, but I'm appalled.

And, now you're "disappointed"? Well, we can't have that, can we? Did it ever occur to you that Bolt wanted to take the entire year off? Do you not see meet directors nearly begging him to come to their meets (see: Commonwealth Games)? I really don't understand some of you "fans". To me, the only competition is a "fair one"; if one guy is hurt or unfit, then it's not a fair competition. I will take him at his word, especially as Bolt's back was the reason noted for his injuries from 2004-2006. Plus, it is probably "better" for the sport to have a once-beaten Bolt training and rehabbing in earnest for 2011/2012 against a healthy, renewed confidence, Bolt-slaying Tyson Gay.

Comment

He wants to take it easy

He wants to win every race.

Those things are incompatible with the level of competition. Gay and Powell are not chopped liver.

Now he has to go home and recover from a beating.

He'll be back and hopefully smarter and better prepared. ops:

Comment

To be clear I have a background in Sports Medicine so I know all about the short-term and long-term implications of injuries.
                          Really? So you are familiar, specifically, with Bolt's ailments? You should be the LAST person to comment given "...background in Sports Medicine".

Bolt, looked ragged in his race before this one and complained that he didn't have any power, but the athlete blamed it on possible fitness. Now, we hear that it is a back problem and our resident "background in Sports Medicine" poster doesn't try to put two and two together to suggest that some biomechanical inefficiencies might be to blame? Tell me, this background in Sports Medicine, does it involve driving the truck or filing the paperwork?

Comment

Originally posted by Top_end_speed

To be clear I have a background in Sports Medicine so I know all about the short-term and long-term implications of injuries. I also know that back tightness is a very common complaint in sports. Maybe he has a serious problem that is causing the tightness in his back. Maybe he has a legitimate reason not to run again in 2010. But he cannot call the season quits and his only reason for doing so is back tightness. If there is more to the story, he better tell it because he looks soft at the moment.
                            Bolt had a back issue growing up from what I recall, where it affected his running and was probably the root of a lot of his problems. This could very well be a legitimate excuse. As disappointed as I am, am not going to chastise him for being smart and doing the preventative thing by shutting down his season rather early to rest and prevent potentially making his injury worse.

Comment

am I the only one who thinks this is a bit of a cop out?
                              I certainly hope so. He's not telling you how to run your life . . .

and oh, by the win, why is he moving to Finland? :wink:

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎