X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kuha
    replied
    Re: Track Sucks

Epelle: You are an inspiration and--thanks to your help--I think I, too, am seeing the light...

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

>We need to go easy on the 'quote original' function.

Right-fixed-just back from my run and going too fast here.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

We need to go easy on the 'quote original' function.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

This is very easy to do, believe
    >me. It comes under the category of managing expectations. If everyone in your
    >family KNOWS that you are personally committed to track, then, if they respect
    >your dedication and commitment, they will honor your commitment and respect you
    >by not expecting you to forego a meet for a coffee break. But this does not
    >come intuitively for most people. You have to train them.

Today might be a
    >good day to start.

>Good luck.

Doesn't the above all just come under the category of self-evident truths?

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

Kuha, I have been cured. I must manage my expectations - those I have of others, and those others have of me. Webb is free to do whatever he wants -- I have no control any longer!

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

>This actually stinks: My brother-in-law is flying into Göteborg from Stockholm tonight (that is not the problem!)<

But that IS the problem. You have obviously not managed your family's expectations properly. You should work on this. The object should be that in a year from now, when your brother-in-law flies in from Stockholm during the track season (which I assume is something he does occasionally), your family will know that you may be unavailable. If your brother-in-law has some control over when he does this, he'll make sure he does it on a night when you have no conflicting meet (assuming he cares about whether or not you're there to see him). If he has no such control (e.g., he's coming in for a business meeting that someone else has scheduled), he'll just understand that you can't be there.

In my family, they learned this the hard way. My sister was married on a Saturday evening. On that Saturday afternoon, I was attending a track meet in another city. She and my mother were very upset--what if the meet ran late? What if I had traffic problems getting back home? How could I even think about not being around that day? Well, I made it back in time to shower, change clothing, and get to the wedding. My sister is still married. And in the decades that have passed since then, nobody in my family has ever once thought to plan any kind of family event without first asking me whether I had a track conflict.

This is very easy to do, believe me. It comes under the category of managing expectations. If everyone in your family KNOWS that you are personally committed to track, then, if they respect your dedication and commitment, they will honor your commitment and respect you by not expecting you to forego a meet for a coffee break. But this does not come intuitively for most people. You have to train them.

Today might be a good day to start.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

Therapy lesson number 1: walk in their shoes - through the mud, the sleet, the snow and the rain.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied

T&F Anonymous.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

I'm astonished! Between the priorities of family and track, track clearly wins every time! (Or is that what our therapy is trying to cure? I forget...)

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

This actually stinks: My brother-in-law is flying into Göteborg from Stockholm tonight (that is not the problem!), and the entire family is taking a coffee break with him in Göteborg at 19.00.

The issue: Ostrava meet starts at 20.00 on Eurosport, and I will be in the dog house should I decide to stay home and catch the meet. Göteborg is a 90-minute round-trip from here. Like I mentioned before: I don:t know which is worse: knowing the meet is on tv and not being able to see it, or knowing the meet is televised an not having the channel! Wish I purchased a vcr instead of a dvd player!

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

There is a lot to mine on darkwing too. You should see the offlist flack I took when I said this on May 30, 2001:

"I realize that this is all hypothetical but why couldn't he get a 4 year
    deal with a shoe company that stipulates that he will be attending school
    and that he controls when and where he can compete? Somebody would have to
    offer it to him obviously and I don't know whether a shoe company would.
    Most of the big meets take place when he is out of school. There have been
    successful athletes out there who have had jobs(Steve Jones comes to mind)
    and I don't know about the rest of you but I didn't realize just how easy I
    had it when I went to post secondary school. 8 months a year with a lot of
    time off-nice gig if you can get it. I don't know how Webb is scholastically
    but it strikes me that a shoe company could get some mileage out of this
    kind of association. Maybe there are some issues to do with stepping on the
    toes of the NCAA but I don't know. T & F is unique compared to other big
    name sports because a large part of its' competitive schedule does not take
    place during the school year like football, basketball, hockey etc."

One fellow was particularly harsh at how bizarre and ridiculous an idea it was so when it finally happened, he was kind of shocked to see an email in his inbox reminding him of the exchange.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

It's also distinctly interesting to me that he was mentioned more often--and more passionately--when he was running badly. Now that he appears to be "for real" and of genuinely world-class ability, most of the furor actually seems to have subsided. That's a GOOD thing, of course. Let's simply let him be a good runner, with as little extra baggage as possible.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

>MJD: The greatest archaeologist since Indiana Jones! Of course, if Saint Webb
    >races himself into the ground with his current schedule of 5 races per week, we
    >(former) skeptics might yet be proven right.

I pulled this up because of the Two Buck Chuck reference but the Webb stuff-it's everywhere, it's everywhere. I was actually thinking this morning that it would be interesting to see just how many of the 38000 plus messages in the current forum mention Webb. The search parameters limit hits to 500 which still would allow one to do it with a little work but you can't focus an advanced search within the year 2003-just prior to 01/01/04 which makes such a project, no matter how worthy, impossible unless, of course, you look at each thread.

Interesting to note that he only gets mentioned 34 times on the Historical forum and 3 times in the THG forum-not once in the Fayetteville updates.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

MJD: The greatest archaeologist since Indiana Jones! Of course, if Saint Webb races himself into the ground with his current schedule of 5 races per week, we (former) skeptics might yet be proven right.

Leave a comment:

• The Fern
    replied

'Cause you know I couldn't read this without tossing in my few cents worth.

Yes Mark, obviously an Arsenal fan. And lets not forget that way back before they were kicking balls, they were running and throwing and jumping.

I don't know Two Buck Chuck down here but if you see any NZ Pinot Noirs cross your path in the next few months, dive in. And the 2004 Sauvignon Blancs are promising to be winners too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X