Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

interesting move by BYU

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: interesting move by BYU

    There was a longish post by l.Arrhenius above that gives a perspective from a BYU T&F insider.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: interesting move by BYU

      From a selfish point of view, I hope BYU DOES join the WCC in cross, as the conference meet is held at Crystal Springs (Belmont, Ca) every year, and is usually a bit of a dud, since Portland (men) rarely runs more than one of their top seven.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: interesting move by BYU

        Originally posted by Wmbgskip
        There's always the MPSF, or asking the Pac-12 for an affiliate membership. They're having two affiliate teams in swimming this year, I believe.
        MPSF is indoor track only because the Pac-10 does not sponsor indoor track, probably because most of the schools don't have indoor tracks.

        It will be interesting to see if the addition of Colorado (which does have an indoor track) makes the Pac-12 reconsider sponsoring an indoor track championship. I think all of the schools participate at least on some level in the indoor track season, most fully.

        As far as WCC schools having tracks, I don't think any of the schools have their own facilities, but most are in major cities where lots of tracks exist (Portland, LA, Spokane, etc) so if schools were motivated to host meets I am sure it would be possible.

        Here is a performance list of the 2010 WCC outdoor track season: http://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/D ... ivID=17300

        Pretty solid in the distance and nonexistent in the field events.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: interesting move by BYU

          Originally posted by polevaultpower
          ....
          As far as WCC schools having tracks, I don't think any of the schools have their own facilities, but most are in major cities where lots of tracks exist (Portland, LA, Spokane, etc) so if schools were motivated to host meets I am sure it would be possible. ...
          Hosting meets is the easy part; training is the hard part. The distance runners may not need a track, but sprinters/hurdlers/jumpers/throwers pretty much do. Tough to run a serious program if you have to pack up and cross town every day (at who knows what cost).

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: interesting move by BYU

            Originally posted by Wmbgskip
            There's always the MPSF, or asking the Pac-12 for an affiliate membership. They're having two affiliate teams in swimming this year, I believe.
            Didn't the Pac-10 meet go Sat-Sun this year? And BYU doesn't compete on Sundays?

            So far as I know, only Santa Clara does not have a track program. But the whole WCC put together has ONE outdoor track...and that one (Pepperdine) doesn't have field event facilities.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: interesting move by BYU

              Originally posted by jeremyp
              Wonder what Henry Marsh, Ralph Mann, Doug Padilla, Paul Cummings, not to mention Jay Sylvester (coached there), think about this. Or Lasse Viren and Pekka Vasala (brief non competitive forays.)

              I was wondering the same thing. I am a BYU grad and ran for Coach Robison and James and knew all the athletes you mention here..including the Finnish guys.BYU is a dual meet powerhouse and none of the schools in the WCC could compete with them even if they had a T&F program. Indeed, what were they thinking???

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: interesting move by BYU

                They were thinking football.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: interesting move by BYU

                  Originally posted by lonewolf
                  They were thinking football.
                  And basketball. Nothing else.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: interesting move by BYU

                    Speaking of the Pepperdine track, can anyone with local knowledge confirm that it is now lopsided due to an apparent land shift or somesuch? Looking at it on Google Earth, no way you could run a meet on that thing unless you're at Foster Brooks U.!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: interesting move by BYU

                      Originally posted by jeremyp
                      Wonder what Henry Marsh, Ralph Mann, Doug Padilla, Paul Cummings, not to mention Jay Sylvester (coached there), think about this. Or Lasse Viren and Pekka Vasala (brief non competitive forays.)
                      Viren and Vasala reportedly hated their every moment there and probably couldn't care less.

                      Cummings, I bet, won't comment on the matter (deceased).

                      But I'm guessing the others aren't too happy.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: interesting move by BYU

                        Originally posted by gm
                        Speaking of the Pepperdine track, can anyone with local knowledge confirm that it is now lopsided due to an apparent land shift or somesuch? Looking at it on Google Earth, no way you could run a meet on that thing unless you're at Foster Brooks U.!
                        Several years ago, an author I published hit a home run and moved from Santa Monica to Malibu. She consulted me, in my geological capacity, about the advisability of buying a gorgeous house with ocean view on a hill above the PCH. I advised against it. Soon thereafter, following a torrential rain, that house and lot wound up on the other side of the road.
                        She still thanks me from time to time.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X