Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Ultimate' records

There is a Front Page link with some dude citing a long-term limit of 9.01 in the 100m (but he then goes on to say, with a 9.01, the incentives would be so strong to get and 8 that it would probably fall another 0.02.

This guy is allowing this record to be set given the most propitious circumstances [although I am ruling out changes in the rules, including PEDs, and 'genetic engineering']. Given that Bolt has already hit the 9.5s and might conceivably hit the 9.4xs (basic), there are some adjustments to this level. First of all, reaction time down to 0.10 (it is feasible and if we continue the trend of start times, they might ease it back down to a 'if faster, it really is cheating' ballpark; this would cut another 0.04 or so from Bolt's mark. Then give a 2.0mps wind, cutting another 0.11 or maybe even 0.12 at that speed. Now put it in Mexico City and get another 0.1+ (maybe put it in Bogota, or even higher, and get 0.15 more more). Add these together and we are in the 9.2 ballpark and we are not yet at the end of civilization. [Of course, this guy was so up-to-date that he was using the 9.69 mark, and I do not think that this was written 13 months ago.]

Re: 'Ultimate' records

Originally posted by 26mi235
    I am ruling out 'genetic engineering'.
    Good luck with that! It'll happen seamlessly and you'll never know what hit you!

and oh BTW, the article is, of course, TOTAL BS.

Comment

We all LOVE to recall that brilliant paper of a decade or more ago on how the women's records were going to surpass the men's in a short time.

I also liked the elegant paper on porcine aerodynamics.

Comment

Whenever I see the word " Ultimate" in this context I think of the list of " Ultimates" promulgated by ( I think) Brutus Hamilton. Does anyone have that list handy ? If so I'd love to see it posted here.

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
          We all LOVE to recall that brilliant paper of a decade or more ago on how the women's records were going to surpass the men's in a short time.

I also liked the elegant paper on porcine aerodynamics.
          Yes, a brilliant piece of science! Its great logical conclusion, without a flaw, still makes me weepy.

Comment

Working...
          X