Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rich get richer

LAUREN CENTROWITZ, daughter of Olympian Matt, will sign with Stanford.Many time 1600 MD. champ for Broadneck,near Annapolis, she has won All-Met runner of year for 2 years. Lauren told Satch "Stanford was just a place where I fit in really well." Maryland is proud of you and wish good luck.

Re: Rich get richer

More cattle for the farm...

Comment

>LAUREN CENTROWITZ, daughter of Olympian Matt, will sign with Stanford.Many time
      >1600 MD. champ for Broadneck,near Annapolis, she has won All-Met runner of
      >year for 2 years. Lauren told Satch "Stanford was just a place where I fit in
      >really well." Maryland is proud of you and wish good luck.

also i heard rudy chapa's son is on stanfords team, what is with these oregon runners sending their kids to their conference rival stanford?

Comment

what is with these oregon runners
        >sending their kids to their conference rival stanford?

I would hope any student athlete intelligent enough to get into Stanford would be also smart enough to make their own college choice, based primarily on academic fit. Unfortunately, I fear all too many students do not!

Comment

I would wager that very few students base their college choice on 'academic fit.' Most of my graduating seniors cite things like 'I like their football team' or 'the campus looked nice' or 'it's where my friends are going'. Choosing Stanford (or Oregon) on its athletics program is no more or less rational than most reasons.

Comment

>I would wager that very few students base their college choice on 'academic
            >fit.' Most of my graduating seniors cite things like 'I like their football
            >team' or 'the campus looked nice' or 'it's where my friends are going'.

I would hope then that you are counseling them
            on things to look for in college choice. If your child said they wanted to go to a university because of the football logo, or team colors, or pretty campus, I trust you would help them come up with some better reasons to attend a paticular school.

Comment

Ha! I wanted my daughter to accept Wake Forest's offer, and my son to go to Rhodes to play soccer. Both went to FSU because it was 'closer to home' and then came home only for major holidays. We have 4 college guidance counselors here - for 130 seniors (not including my own meddling personality) and 'academic fit' is probably 8th on the priority list of choosing a college. When I went to Stanford, my overriding factor was - California! (from Connecticut, having NEVER been there)

Comment

Be realistic , a great basketball or football prospect will go to the school that pays the family the most "under the table" money. This is free market America. The schools willing to be the most corrupt will have the best chance recruiting.

Comment

>Be realistic , a great basketball or football prospect will go to the school
                  >that pays the family the most "under the table" money. This is free market
                  >America. The schools willing to be the most corrupt will have the best chance
                  >recruiting.

Wow! so in other words, you infer that the poor get richer, too! I love your country! If it costs only US $1K per month for life to turn a Kenyan into a Qatari, how much does it cost to turn a poor street kid into a richie rich? I love animals, so THE FARM would suit me perfectly. No, not the funny farm. No one is laughing.

Comment

>what is with these oregon runners
                    >sending their kids to their conference
                    >rival stanford?

I would hope any student athlete intelligent enough to
                    >get into Stanford would be also smart enough to make their own college choice,
                    >based primarily on academic fit. Unfortunately, I fear all too many students
                    >do not!>>

Suppose they hated the campus, where it was located, the weather and most of the people they met...and not only that the football and basketball teams were pretty bad.

I'm not sure best academic fit is the best choice for everyone. I think the environment that a person can get the best possible education and collegiate experience for themselves is pretty important.

Comment

<The schools willing to be the most corrupt will have the best chance recruiting.>

Are you serious?
                      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

><The schools willing to be the most corrupt will have the best chance
                        >recruiting.>

Are you serious?

Corruption wins always in big time athletics. I would do the same thing Salt Lake did to get the winter games. Supply enough bling to all those greedy IOC members. You want votes, then buy the vote. You want L. James as a client, then buy his mom a new Hummer. If you want your school to be in a big bowl game and make the university hundreds of millions of dollars , they go ahead , start handing out free homes,cars ,whatever to get that star recruit. Thats good business and the American way. I can clean up the drugs in sports mess in one day. Put me in charge and every positive test report will go in the garbage and be covered up.

Comment

>I can clean up the drugs in sports mess in one day. Put me in charge and every positive test report will go in the garbage and be covered up.

Be careful what you ask for, man. I hope you use Glad bags, otherwise you will have a nasty, stinky, sticky, ugly, gooey, mess on your hands with which not even the quicker picker upper could help you out.

Comment

>You want votes, then buy the vote. You want L. James as a client, then buy his mom a new Hummer. If you want your school to be in a big bowl game and make the university hundreds of millions of dollars , they go ahead , start handing out free homes,cars ,whatever to get that star recruit. Thats good business and the American way.

What would the teams who get the runner-up medals and plaques say? And those teams or persons person who get bronze...those which didn't make the final because of your conspiracy within sport?

Comment

What would the teams who get the runner-up medals and plaques
                              >say? And those teams or persons person who get bronze...those which didn't make
                              >the final because of your conspiracy within sport?

Conspiracy ? What Conspiracy, Salt Lake City "Bribe Scandal" was an open legal battle. Ya , we were caught bribing IOC officials , and no sanctions to the USA. No big deal. I would call the runner up teams losers with a lack of talent and a lack of managent skills. Grow up , life is not equal or fair . If your in a sport like running , be faster than your competition. If your in a judged sport like figure skating, get your wealthy parents to funnel some $$$ to the judges. If your in a judged sport and from a poor family you will never suceed.

Comment

Working...
                              X