Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance Coverage for Track Event Promoters

A memo has crossed our company internal e-mail yesterday. The sporting events that will be "banned" from event insurance from our company. Auto racing , golf ( due to personal injury ) , and on the list is track and F ( If any throwing events are included) . I agree with this policy, J, SP, Hammer, are high risk , and the potential for suing is to high. These events could be carried out in a closed protective bubble , away from harming any live viewers. This is for the good of the sport , I would hate to see a parent taking there kids to watch a mile event then get bonked in the head from a stray hammer throw.

Re: Insurance Coverage for Track Event Promoters

> I would hate to see a parent taking there
    >kids to watch a mile event then get bonked in the head from a stray hammer
    >throw.

Since you are apparently in the insurance industry, what is the actuarial incidence of kids, or anyone for that matter, getting bonked in the head from a stray hammer (javelin, discus, etc)? How does that probability compare to the chance they get taken out by a reckless driver on the way to the meet?

Comment

That's why you get a sanction and insurance from USATF which covers up to $2 million per incident.

Comment

the more education and knowledge the spectator or member of a thrower's family has, the competition sector becomes safer and safer.

Comment

It is more likely some fat 10 year old drops a shot put on his own foot , then the parent sue the Sh#t out of the meet director. This is America.

Comment

>It is more likely some fat 10 year old

Cos this never happens to skinny kids, right...? :-P

Comment

>A memo has crossed our company internal e-mail yesterday. The sporting events
              >that will be "banned" from event insurance from our company. Auto racing ,
              >golf ( due to personal injury ) , and on the list is track and F ( If any
              >throwing events are included) . I agree with this policy, J, SP, Hammer, are
              >high risk , and the potential for suing is to high. These events could be
              >carried out in a closed protective bubble , away from harming any live viewers.
              >This is for the good of the sport , I would hate to see a parent taking there
              >kids to watch a mile event then get bonked in the head from a stray hammer
              >throw.

when i was compting for cal state bakersfield in wrestling and track, in the 80s a reporter who covered wrestling and track for the bakersfield californian newspaper, was killed by an errant hammer throw at a track meet at cal state los angeles. it has happened

Comment

>>It is more likely some fat 10 year old

Cos this never happens to
                >skinny kids, right...? :-P

Its just more likely a parent would put there fat little kid in Shot Put as opposed to the mile.

Comment

An enterprising insurance company might offer "umbrella" coverage to a track promoter--a policy covering accidents and also catastrophic payouts, as in the form of world-record bonuses.

That's the only kind of insurance I've heard meeting directors (in Europe, that is) speak about.

Comment

>An enterprising insurance company might offer "umbrella" coverage to a track
                    >promoter--a policy covering accidents and also catastrophic payouts, as in the
                    >form of world-record bonuses.

That's the only kind of insurance I've heard
                    >meeting directors (in Europe, that is) speak about.

That is Europe dude ,this is the good Ol USA , where people sue McDonalds because their kids turn into fat pork pies.

Comment

when i was compting for cal state bakersfield
                      >in wrestling and track, in the 80s a reporter who covered wrestling and track
                      >for the bakersfield californian newspaper, was killed by an errant hammer throw
                      >at a track meet at cal state los angeles. it has happened

I'm sure it's also happened that was eating peanuts out of the can in the grocery store, began choking, tripped on an advertisement, stumbled into the lobster tank and drowned while being relentlessly pinched. This doesn't mean it's likely.

Comment

I'm sure it's also happened that
                        >was eating peanuts out of the can in the grocery store, began choking, tripped
                        >on an advertisement, stumbled into the lobster tank and drowned while being
                        >relentlessly pinched. This doesn't mean it's likely.

You've seen the Simpson's episode where the Clousseau-esque French waiter tries to charge Quimby's nephew with assault, haven't you?

Comment

>It is more likely some fat 10 year old drops a shot put on his own foot , then
                          >the parent sue the Sh#t out of the meet director. This is America.

If it is more likely that a 10 year old drops a shot on their foot, then why did you state in your original post that "I agree with this policy, J, SP, Hammer, are high risk"? I don't know of many meets where 10 year olds, whether they are fat or not, are actually competing in the shot.

If you're now worrying about non-participants, shouldn't you also add ball boys threatened by errant fouls, basketball courtside fans who could get barrelled over by a charging Shaq or the NASCAR fan taken out by a random flying tire?

Comment

If you're now worrying
                            >about non-participants, shouldn't you also add ball boys threatened by errant
                            >fouls, basketball courtside fans who could get barrelled over by a charging
                            >Shaq or the NASCAR fan taken out by a random flying tire

I'm not worried about anything peanut brain, NBA and NASCAN can afford any insurance it rquires.

Comment

>>It is more likely some fat 10 year old

Cos this never happens to
                              >skinny kids, right...? :-P

Don't blame me for all the dough head parents that raise porky , lazy kids in the USA. This is reality man , I want things like sky high gas prices, I can afford it , drive all the lower class and middle class people to public transit where they belong. This will clear up the traffic problems of our country.

Comment

Working...
                              X