Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greek Gets It Right!--not track

Niko Dimitrakos scores winning goal in OT for my beloved Sharkies last night.

Oh wait, this isn't a hockey board?

Re: Greek Gets It Right!

>Niko Dimitrakos scores winning goal in OT for my beloved Sharkies last
    >night.

Oh wait, this isn't a hockey board?

I can't believe a Canuck of your vintage can put the word "beloved" in front of any team other than one of the original 6. Personally, I'm pulling for the rookie goalie Raycroft and his Bruins to exact payback for the 71 series and that hot rookie goalie that I am still smarting from.

Comment

gh, you just lost 100 cool points and a demotion to 'track fan 2nd class' with that statement. Get your head in the game, boy.

Comment

Sorry, tafnut. I'm with gh and MJD on this one, although I root for an entirely different team. (Mine is about to be blown away by MJD's Bruins, damn it.)

Let's face it. They don't have track meets every day of the week. That's why they invented baseball and hockey, isn't it?

Comment

>Sorry, tafnut. I'm with gh and MJD on this one, although I root for an
          >entirely different team. (Mine is about to be blown away by MJD's Bruins, damn
          >it.)

It's still early tandfman although Thornton played 15 minutes and looks like he is ok. I assume you were a Habs fan in 71? Man did that hurt.

Comment

>>I assume you were a Habs fan in 71?<<

Been a Habs fan all my life.

Comment

I like most "real" sports. In NHL it's the Penguins. Watch out next year especially if Mario's back. Hey, all the Canadiens, congrat to your women team. Some streak.
              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

>>>I assume you were a Habs fan in 71?<<

>Been a Habs fan all my life.

"The fact that the Canadiens were even in the finals was remarkable. They had finished third in the Eastern Conference, which under the playoff setup at the time meant a first-round showdown with the defending champion Boston Bruins, who had set NHL scoring records in 1970-71 thanks to the play of Phil Esposito and Bobby Orr. In addition, the Canadiens had taken the goaltending job away from Rogie Vachon and entrusted it to a kid from Cornell named Ken Dryden, who had only a handful of NHL games under his belt when the postseason began."

http://nhl.com/hockeyu/history/game7_2.html

Comment

>I like most "real" sports. In NHL it's the Penguins.

Don't know how long you have been a fan but I used to golf with their goalie from early expansion days, Les Binkley.

Comment

I have been their fan ever since the expansion 40 years ago.
                    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Anecdote from '79 or '80 (oops, time to move this to the historical board!).... there was a 3-meet weekend: Millrose/Ottawa/Montréal and after MSG on Friday night we went to La Guardia for a flight to Montréal. We being a huge portion of Canada/U.S. track talent at the time.

Jean Beliveau was on the flight and one wit noted, "I can just see the headline if the plane crashes: 'Beliveau and a couple of hundred others die in air disaster.' "

I too was a Habs guy from the time I became aware of the game until I got a local team.

Comment

>Anecdote from '79 or '80 (oops, time to move this to the historical board!)....
                        >there was a 3-meet weekend: Millrose/Ottawa/Montréal and after MSG on Friday
                        >night we went to La Guardia for a flight to Montréal. We being a huge portion
                        >of Canada/U.S. track talent at the time.

Jean Beliveau was on the flight and
                        >one wit noted, "I can just see the headline if the plane crashes: 'Beliveau
                        >and a couple of hundred others die in air disaster.' "

Hilarious. Happy tafnut? A t&f tie in.

Comment

While we are on this topic, I'll tell you how I figured out there can never be separation of Quebec. The reason, you ask?
                          Now, what would you call Montreal Canadiens? Calling them anything else would clearly be a blasphemy.
                          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

>While we are on this topic, I'll tell you how I figured out there can never be
                            >separation of Quebec. The reason, you ask?

Oh man, let's not go there!

Comment

Ok, to keep tafnut happy, a T&F tie in. One of the announcers on the CBC for tonight's Habs-Bruins game is Don Whitman. For anyone up here or close enough to the border to get all the T&F coverage we get on the CBC, he is basically the voice of Can T&F. He almost sounds funny calling a hockey game.

Comment

Working...
                              X