Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Usain Bolt - 19.93!!!

BOLT BREAKS WORLD JUNIOR RECORD! – APRIL 11, 2004

In cool conditions, Usain Bolt running out of lane six, shot out of the blocks, coming around the turn at the 100 mark he had already passed Jamaica’s Nestar Carter in lane 7 and Kristian Yearwood of Barbados in lane 8. In the home stretch Bolt pulled away from the field at the ninety-meter mark and ran with ease over the last eighty meters in a new junior world record of 19.93

More at http://www.jaaa.org.jm

Comment

What was Michael Johnson's PR as a junior?

Comment

>What was Michael Johnson's PR as a junior?<

21.30, but so what? Different athletes develop and mature at different ages. If Bolt eventually took 1.98 seconds off the time he ran this weekend, as Johnson did ten years after he was a junior, he'd end up running 17.95. Obviously, he's never going to do that no matter how well he's running now.

Comment

I'm even more interested now to see whether he runs the 400m at National trials. I'd love to see him do it, but suspect that he will run only the 200m. Hopefully he'll double at WJC. Still want to see him running with the big boys. Should happen at the meet on May 7 at the National Stadium (less than 2 miles up the road, and 450m where where I currently work). Tim and Marion, Mutola,Felix, Debbie Ferguson, Kim Collins along with locals James Beckford, Davian Clarke,Gregory Haughton, Juliet Campbell,Tayna Lawrence, among others should be there. I hope they get Darvis Patton to come, I expect great things of him this year. It would be too much to ask to get Gatlin to come run the 200m, he would run sub 20 for sure.
          why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

This kid is nasty!!!

He basically pulled a Steve Lewis AND he has another year of junior! Wow!

I hope he doesn't burn out or get injured. Clearly he is a physical genius. It would be great to see what he can do ultimately. We (the track world) were sort of robbed when Steve Lewis got injured. Maybe he would have become the 400m world record holder. I'd say this kid definitely has the talent to take on MJ's record. It will come down to coaching, staying healthy, having the drive and luck. I wish him all of this.

Can't wait to see the Olympic deuce!

Comment

Although Tommie Smith was 'only' 6'3, I bet the image is similar, long legs getting unwound. Does he have the high knee lift? He's obviously got the Jet Gear!

Comment

The IAAF says 1.93m (6'4") and 75kg (165lbs) as of 2003.

Comment

We demand equal time! Bolt needs to stay No. 3 on the most-threads list dadgummit! The fact that he is actually DOING something doesn't mean a thing.

Comment

6' 4", more like 6' 6". I saw the guy in Trinidad in 2003 and he had to bend in the aisle of the Hotel Corridor. He is Awesome. He used to be "lightning bolt" now he is "Thunder Bolt".

Comment

Staff members who stood next to him in Paris last August say he's 6-4, maybe 6-5, but no 6-6.

Comment

>Staff members who stood next to him in Paris last August say he's 6-4, maybe
                        >6-5, but no 6-6.

How could one debate a visual difference of 6 5" to 6 6" ?
                        I bet there is a know it all out there that has him at 6 5" 1/4

Comment

>The IAAF says 1.93m (6'4") and 75kg (165lbs) as of 2003.

Tilastopaja says 1.96m, which is 6'5". He's still only 17 though, so he's probably still growing (which would mean that he's probably grown since his 6'4"-6'5" days in Paris!)

Comment

Gosh, "he didn't beat anyone of note".... but he beat everyone in the field by more than a second!!! That either indicates that he is a front runner who might fold under pressure, or that he might be able to run really scary times with someone near him. Any guesses as to which might be the case?

Comment

>Gosh, "he didn't beat anyone of note".... but he beat everyone in the field
                              >by more than a second!!! That either indicates that he is a front runner who
                              >might fold under pressure, or that he might be able to run really scary times
                              >with someone near him. Any guesses as to which might be the case?

Difficult to say as we've never really seen him under any sort of pressure over the 200m. He has a 14-race winning streak but all of those races were against guys of a similar age.

I'm sure, though, that we'll all see sooner or later just how well he does against stiffer competition.

Comment

>Gosh, "he didn't beat anyone of note".... but he beat everyone in the field
                                >by more than a second!!! That either indicates that he is a front runner who
                                >might fold under pressure, or that he might be able to run really scary times
                                >with someone near him. Any guesses as to which might be the case?

i am an admitted optimist, so i say the latter, running this fast, this early with no real competition is phenomenal, i expect he will run much faster, this kid may someday be the one to break michael johnsons records.

Comment

Working...
                                X