• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mel
    replied
    Re: Usain Bolt - 19.93!!!

That is what makes his 19,93 a good time for someone his age"

Congratulations, you have just set a new World Record for understatement on a Track and Field Message Board. Sorry, we've just received an update, that is a World Record for understatement in any situation, period!

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

>I could be wrong but he doesn't exactly look like he is running through the line here:

No, he didnt:t run through the line. That is what makes his 19,93 a good time for someone his age - especially considering he was not pushed or fully maxed according to newspaper reports.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

I could be wrong but he doesn't exactly look like he is running through the line here:

http://www.spiceisle.com/stjohnrc/image ... /Bolt1.jpg

http://www.spiceisle.com/stjohnrc/image ... /Bolt2.jpg

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

>Whom do you consider the favorite? I thought that at least 5 guys are solid contenders. I also would be quite surprised if the winning time isn't under 20.

Personally, I have not selected a favorite at this time of the year. Aside from my eventual pick, there are others who will have different opinions. The best man on 26-August will win the gold medal. Whether or not that person runs faster than 20,00 is not important to me, as comparably was the case in the mens 100m at last years WCs. If an athlete runs 19,65 tomorrow, I wouldnt state that he will win - or even qualify - for the Olympic 200m Final.

Similar is the case with the mens 1,500m: 3.26,00 and 3.43,13 are times no one single person on the face of this earth has achieved apart from El Guerrouj. Yet he was a silver-medalist in 2000.

Time is not as important to me as is right timing.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied

<if someone other than the favorite wins the 200m final in 20,18 seconds>

Whom do you consider the favorite? I thought that at least 5 guys are solid contenders. I also would be quite surprised if the winning time isn't under 20.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

>Time will tell.

Yes, and if someone other than the favorite wins the 200m final in 20,18 seconds, lets not say that that the pre-race favorite "should have, would have, or could have!".

These are the Olympic Games - where anything and everything is possible. If we are awaiting a lightning strike, lets look at the Mens 1,500m... and hope it doesnt strike El G for a third-straight time.

Leave a comment:

replied

euan,
    Good question about how Usain BOLT will react
    in a hard and close man to man race.
    Time will tell.

Leave a comment:

• Leo62
    replied

Any truth that Michael Johnson has been retained as an advisor on matters of psychology and training with Bolt? Sounds a little far fetched.

Leave a comment:

• The Flash
    replied

>Bolt is a leader not a follower how could he get stage fright? Explain

When he runs in Athens, he will undoubtedly get Gatlin or someone(s) out in front of him. He is not used to trailing in a race, so it's hard to say how he will react.

I think this will get to him--he will be a "possible" medalist. However, as he races more and more against these guys, he'll learn how to run his own race. I think he could own the event for a long time.

Leave a comment:

• Hulk
    replied

The 19.71 sprinter didn't make the team only because of injury, not because he was outgunned by other sprinters.

However, if that was your point I totally agree with you.

Leave a comment:

• Grasshopper
    replied

For those of you who are all too ready to give Usian Bolt the Athens 200m gold medal right now, I'd urge you to remember another outstanding 200m runner who ran 19.71 pretty in early in the last Olympic year. Despite all the gold medal predictions surrounding this sprinter he didn't even end up making his countries Olympic team in the 200m, and he was a heck of a lot stronger, experienced, and consistent then Mr. Bolt.

"Lightning" can strike even the best runner in the worst way.

I hope for the best for Mr. Bolt, but I just don't want people giving out the medals before the race is over.

Leave a comment:

• superhype
    replied

Just don't talk too soon

Leave a comment:

• steve
    replied

>Bolt is a rare phenomenon who will outclass the field in Athens....fullstop!

While I think it would be great if you turn out right, I'm not ready to make the same statement based on one sub 20 time. Even if he didn't win the Oly 200 he is still amazing.

Leave a comment:

• richie b
    replied

Bolt is a rare phenomenon who will outclass the field in Athens....fullstop!

Leave a comment:

• euan Track Guru
    replied

>Gosh, "he didn't beat anyone of note".... but he beat everyone in the field
    >by more than a second!!! That either indicates that he is a front runner who
    >might fold under pressure, or that he might be able to run really scary times
    >with someone near him. Any guesses as to which might be the case?

He did not beat any one of note? The clock is the important thing. The flip side is if there was anyone of note the time would beat that person of note.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X