Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Unbroken" [RIP Louis Zamperini]

USA TODAY yesterday had a major feature on a new book by Laura Hillenbrand called "Unbroken". She is the author of the previous best selling book (later a movie) "Sea Biscuit".

"Unbroken" tells the story of Louis Zamperini. If you don't know who he is and his connection to track and field check out http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news ... 0_CV_N.htm.

The newspaper also had an excellent picture of the now 93 year-old.

Re: "Unbroken"

Well, I for sure will buy this book. Mr. Z looks and sounds remarkably lively for 93 yrs of age!

Comment

The Wall Street Journal's story on the book ran two full pages in the print edition today (including pictures).

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 09292.html

Comment

"Unbroken" will be published Nov. 16 with a first printing of 250,000 copies."

OMG, I am jealous. That's a serious number...

Comment

Originally posted by kuha

Seabiscuit sold 6 million copies and she later got the movie rights to it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam

Seabiscuit sold 6 million copies and she later got the movie rights to it as well.
            I knew that one sold well--but didn't know the 6m figure. She's got excellent instincts in terms of choosing her subject matter and--I've read Seabiscuit--she's a superb writer. All that said, I am still impressed by a first printing of a quarter-million for a book about a runner/war hero who is very far from a household name. However, I will be the first to say that I hope she MAKES him a household name. And yes, there's probably a good shot that a movie will follow.

Comment

LA Times review:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ne ... 0404.story

Comment

Unbroken is Time magaazine's #1 non-fiction book of the year.

Comment

Just finished the book, I could hardly put it down and read it in two days. Very moving and reminds us of a time when so many gave so much to us all. I remember reading about him in Cordner Nelson's book "The mile/1500" but I never new about his heroic war story.

Comment

Just finished his autobiography: "Devil at my Heels." Waiting for the library to get hers. Having read his version of his life it will be interesting to get an objective view.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxPuGQsmVEg

Comment

The author, Laura Hillenbrand, suffers from chronic fatigue syndrome. From her Wikipedia page:

"Hillenbrand suffers from debilitating chronic fatigue syndrome, and remains largely confined to her home.[2] On the irony of writing about physical paragons while being so incapacitated herself, she says, 'I'm looking for a way out of here. I can't have it physically, so I'm going to have it intellectually. It was a beautiful thing to ride Seabiscuit in my imagination. And it's just fantastic to be there alongside Louie as he's breaking the NCAA mile record. People at these vigorous moments in their lives - it's my way of living vicariously.'"

Received "Unbroken" for Christmas - I'm much looking forward to reading it as soon as I finish "The Perfect Distance," which I also received for Christmas and had not read before.

Comment

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110104/film_nm/us_unbroken

No surprise whatsoever: a film is in the works.

Will Louie be the new Pre? :wink:

Comment

Will Louie be the new Pre? :wink:
                            One cannot compare a life still lived with a life cut way short.

Zamperini's life was full and amazing. His track life was brief, and he wasted his talent with disciplinary crashes. His life as an airman, crash/set adrift survivor, POW survivor, PTSD survivor, and finally life change show the full measure of a tough delinquent anti authoritarian SOB who turned his life around.

Pre was a great runner and his life has been done twice in movies, to little acclaim. If Zamperini's movie is done right, and we really get to see inside his complex multi layers.....?

Comment

From the link on the main page:

"In hindsight, it seems probable that, had World War II not intervened, the Torrance, Calif., runner would have beaten Roger Bannister to the hallowed four-minute mile, a monumental track and field milestone achieved in May 1954." Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/01/16/ ... z1BD4i8ynS

Oh, boy... A great and inspiring true story apparently isn't enough for some media types... "Probable"???!!! Really, now...

Comment

Working...
                              X