Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reality check

In a recent IAAF article when speaking of World champion Jaouad they state,

"His marathon debut was a modest - in world terms - 2:09:15 in Rotterdam last year."

You hear that American Marathoners???? 2:09:15 is even considered modest for a debut in the event, among the top guys in the world.

Time to reset your thinking and goals, 2:11 might make the US team but it gets no respect from the rest of the world.

Re: Reality check

>Time to reset your thinking and goals, 2:11 might make the US team
    >but it gets no respect from the rest of the world.

Noticed what Alan Culpepper's marathon debut time was?

Comment

>In a recent IAAF article when speaking of World champion Jaouad they
      >state,

"His marathon debut was a modest - in world terms - 2:09:15 in
      >Rotterdam last year."

You hear that American Marathoners???? 2:09:15 is
      >even considered modest for a debut in the event, among the top guys in the
      >world.

Time to reset your thinking and goals, 2:11 might make the US team
      >but it gets no respect from the rest of the world.

2:13:xx will win in Athens, Expect 90%+ Humidity and 90F . The smog alone will dust off half the field.

Comment

"Noticed what Alan Culpepper's marathon debut time was?"

I don't recall. What was it?

Comment

2:13:xx will win
          >in Athens, Expect 90%+ Humidity and 90F . The smog alone will dust off half the
          >field.

But it will require an effort worth several minutes quicker given the conditions you mention.

Comment

>"Noticed what Alan Culpepper's marathon debut time was?"

I don't recall.
            >What was it?

2:09:41
            http://www.tilastopaja.net/db/atm.asp?ID=892

"2:09:15 is even considered modest for a debut in the event, among the top guys in the world."

I guess an ancillary question then would be how many top guys in the world who debuted faster than 2:09 have World or Olympic medals of any colour to their name?

Would Steve Spence trade his World Champs bronze for a PB faster than 2:11?

Comment

Asterix, would like to answer your question but the statement was from a IAAF article not something I came up with.

I think we all agree that, except for KK, the times Americans have been posting in the marathon over the last decade have been disappointing, especially after a generation that had Americans on top (Shorter, Rodgers, Salazar).

The point is although Culpepper ran a good debut he has not progressed since then (time-wise). When a majority of the major marathons in the world are won in 2:06 or 2:07 type times and we don't have Americans running under 2:10 (except once in a great while) then we aren't competitive anymore.

If the mentality (as demonstrated by the IAAF article) is that a 2:09 marathon debut is modest for a world class distance runner then how can America get excited when our experienced guys don't even run under 2:10.

Comment

"would like to answer your question but the statement was from a IAAF article not something I came up with."

I realize that, but you then proceeded to use the IAAF quote to lay in to USAnian marathoners.

"I think we all agree that, except for KK, the times Americans have been posting in the marathon over the last decade have been disappointing, especially after a generation that had Americans on top (Shorter, Rodgers, Salazar)."

And worse for Canadians since Drayton was world number 1.

"The point is although Culpepper ran a good debut he has not progressed since then (time-wise)."

Now that is jumping the gun, given the grand total of two lifetime marathons on which he's to produce progression. I don't presume you are saying he should have not only won the Trials, but have improved on his 2:09:41 from Chicago?

"When a majority of the major marathons in the world are won in 2:06 or 2:07 type times and we don't have Americans running under 2:10 (except once in a great while) then we aren't competitive anymore."

Not that I don't think North American marathoning has stagnated since the early 80s, but beyond the fast course at Chicago, how many of the top men have showed up at one of these 2:06 or 2:07 winning marathons?

But then, is the goal super fast time trials or top end placings? Given the global depth of marathoning populations, I don't think the US has done all that badly to come up with a World Champs gold and bronze medal in the last 13 years. Athens, like Tokyo, doesn't portend to be a Berlin or Chicago race scenario.

Comment

Working...
                X