Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eaton/Clay/Hardee at Millrose

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Eaton/Clay/Hardee at Millrose

    Kudos to Millrose for setting up a mini-heptathlon (actually a triathlon, but that would be too confusing) between the big 3 of the U.S. multis and arguably the three best World multi-athletes.
    Using their marks from Doha and Fayetteville in last year's indoor championships, it should be a good battle for second between Eaton and Hardee with the chosen events (60m/HJ/SP) favoring Clay. Projections are Clay 2773, Hardee 2570, Eaton 2569. Of course, anything can happen this early in the year.

    Nice to see these hard workers get a little of the spotlight outside of the World's or Olympic Games.

  • #2
    Re: Eaton/Clay/Hardee at Millrose

    Question: Jessica Ennis cleared 1.94 in the high jump. What would be the male equivalent mark of her performances?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Eaton/Clay/Hardee at Millrose

      Originally posted by twinpeeks
      Question: Jessica Ennis cleared 1.94 in the high jump. What would be the male equivalent mark of her performances?
      I don't believe any such conversion chart exists, but I'll give it a semi-scientific shot. Ennis' 1.94 is 98.5% of the world heptathlon HJ mark of 1.97. The Men's Decathlon HJ record is 2.27 and 98.5% of that is a little less than 2.24.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Eaton/Clay/Hardee at Millrose

        I think the exact male equivalent is 1.94. :?
        Sorry, that was tacky.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Eaton/Clay/Hardee at Millrose

          Bruce, that is the response i was looking for for. I imagine that Olympic HJ champion, Tia Hellbaut has jumped the highest in the hep?


          Originally posted by bruce3404
          I don't believe any such conversion chart exists, but I'll give it a semi-scientific shot. Ennis' 1.94 is 98.5% of the world heptathlon HJ mark of 1.97. The Men's Decathlon HJ record is 2.27 and 98.5% of that is a little less than 2.24.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Eaton/Clay/Hardee at Millrose

            Originally posted by bruce3404
            Originally posted by twinpeeks
            Question: Jessica Ennis cleared 1.94 in the high jump. What would be the male equivalent mark of her performances?
            I don't believe any such conversion chart exists
            What the heck are you guys talking about? Of course there's a chart, it called the Dec/Hep scoring tables!
            1.94 = 1158 pts ~ 1161 pts = 2.37 (7'9.25)
            which is way too high considering that their were TEN women this year at 1.97 or better, including two who were 8cm better. There were ZERO men outdoors in 2010 at 2.37 or better.
            Tenth best man was at 2.30 (7'6.5), which is great, but it ain't no 2.37.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Eaton/Clay/Hardee at Millrose

              In all fairness, there is no modern day male decathlete who compares to Tia in the high jump


              Originally posted by Marlow
              I don't believe any such conversion chart exists
              What the heck are you guys talking about? Of course there's a chart, it called the Dec/Hep scoring tables!
              1.94 = 1158 pts ~ 1161 pts = 2.37 (7'9.25)
              which is way too high considering that their were TEN women this year at 1.97 or better, including two who were 8cm better. There were ZERO men outdoors in 2010 at 2.37 or better.
              Tenth best man was at 2.30 (7'6.5), which is great, but it ain't no 2.37.[/quote]

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Eaton/Clay/Hardee at Millrose

                And there's a reason that decathletes "never" equal heptathletes in the long jump. The men's event requires a heavier/stronger physique if you're to be at the top end. The women's event remains much more friendly to sprint/jump types.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Eaton/Clay/Hardee at Millrose

                  Pro-dom agrees with Eaton. Yesterday:

                  Eaton opened 2011 with PRs on consecutive days at the Princeton Relays. On Friday, it was the shot put. On Saturday, Eaton competed in the pole vault, and cleared 16-8.75 — just a couple inches shy of his best. He also ran the 60-meter hurdles in 7.68 seconds. That’s a personal best

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Eaton/Clay/Hardee at Millrose

                    Originally posted by Marlow
                    Pro-dom agrees with Eaton. Yesterday:

                    Eaton opened 2011 with PRs on consecutive days at the Princeton Relays. On Friday, it was the shot put. On Saturday, Eaton competed in the pole vault, and cleared 16-8.75 — just a couple inches shy of his best. He also ran the 60-meter hurdles in 7.68 seconds. That’s a personal best
                    6399 is looking very soft.......

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Eaton/Clay/Hardee at Millrose

                      800: 2. Eaton (OTC) 1:55.90.
                      60H: 1. Eaton 7.68 PR (old PR 7.77) (8.54h).
                      PV: 1. Eaton 16-8¾ (5.10).
                      SP: Eaton 46-6¼ (14.18) (old PR 43?½/13.12).

                      And he ran a 1:55.90 flat-track 800, which means he should hit under 2:30 for the 1000, especially on a fast, banked track.

                      Furthermore, these marks were made in a 'quadrathon' for all intents and purposes, with four events in a relatively brief span of time (well, it was a two-day meet, so maybe not).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Eaton/Clay/Hardee at Millrose

                        While I'm not so sure about the decathlon, I feel there's no one in the world who can beat a healthy Eaton in the indoor heptathlon; with the exception of the SP, the indoor hep is made for Eaton. A nearly 3.5 FOOT improvement in the shot is great news and if (a big if) Ashton can similarly improve in the discus and javelin, he just might be the favorite in this year's worlds. Without the rigors of long collegiate indoor and outdoor seasons, it will be interesting to see what he can do this year.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Eaton/Clay/Hardee at Millrose

                          Originally posted by bruce
                          Without the rigors of long collegiate indoor and outdoor seasons, it will be interesting to see what he can do this year.
                          I think Eaton, Hardee and Clay are all eying each other carefully and ramping up their training accordingly. Can't wait for USATF!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Eaton/Clay/Hardee at Millrose

                            And I'll be curious to see how Duke's finest, Curtis Beach, does against the " Big 3" this weekend..... Duke website says he will be there. He's not in their class and probably never will be, but let's wait a few years and see....

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Eaton/Clay/Hardee at Millrose

                              Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                              And I'll be curious to see how Duke's finest, Curtis Beach, does against the " Big 3" this weekend..... Duke website says he will be there. He's not in their class and probably never will be, but let's wait a few years and see....
                              On the other hand, given that Eaton just ran a 1:55 800, having a 1:4x multi- guy (and holder of the Heptathlon best for 1000m) might give Eaton something to target in the run at the end of a multi when the situation arises.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X