Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eaton/Clay/Hardee at Millrose

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
    And I'll be curious to see how Duke's finest, Curtis Beach, does against the " Big 3" this weekend..... Duke website says he will be there. He's not in their class and probably never will be, but let's wait a few years and see....
    Beach is going to have a tough time ever making a World's or Olympic team since both Hardee and Eaton are young guys who arguably have a good ten years of world class competition left in them. Clay will be 36 when 2016 rolls around, so that might open up a slot, provided that another Whiz Kid doesn't come along (and we've already got one with a lot of potential in Michael Morrison of Cal).
    From an academic standpoint no one can argue about his choice of Duke, but I have to wonder if he would have been better off at a track powerhouse to build upon his great HS athletic career.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
      And I'll be curious to see how Duke's finest, Curtis Beach, does against the " Big 3" this weekend..... Duke website says he will be there. He's not in their class and probably never will be, but let's wait a few years and see....
      When Eaton finished his frosh year at Oregon as a 7123 scorer, who would have predicted his rapid rise? (I know, I know, his coaches and a few observant Duck fans; my point is that it's way too early in Beach's career to write him off)

Comment

Originally posted by bruce
        From an academic standpoint no one can argue about his choice of Duke, but I have to wonder if he would have been better off at a track powerhouse to build upon his great HS athletic career.
        The Nos. 2, 5, 8, 9 performers on the all-time U.S. list all went to NAIA schools.

In Shawn Wilbourn he has a coach who scored almost 8300 points and reached No. 3 in the U.S. Rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          When Eaton finished his frosh year at Oregon as a 7123 scorer, who would have predicted his rapid rise? (I know, I know, his coaches and a few observant Duck fans; my point is that it's way too early in Beach's career to write him off)

Definitely not writing off Beach, but I find that it's easier for someone coming out of HS as an unknown like Eaton did has an easier time having a meteoric rise in college vs someone who came out of high school as a super star. Look at Donovan Kilmartin vs Trey Hardee.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
            Originally posted by gh
            It's way too early in Beach's career to write him off)
            Definitely not writing off Beach, but I find that it's easier for someone coming out of HS as an unknown like Eaton did has an easier time having a meteoric rise in college vs someone who came out of high school as a super star. Look at Donovan Kilmartin vs Trey Hardee.
            It's also way too optimistic to think Clay and/or Hardee or EVEN Eaton will stay at the top of their game. I GUARANTEE (in my best impression of Brutal) that one of those three will fall by the wayside sooner than later.

Comment

They do not have to fall by the wayside, just consider the number of times that one will be injured trying to qualify for or leading up to a championship (what is Clay's hit rate?).

Comment

Garry, you can't compare Ashton's freshman year to Curtis's. Before college, Ashton had never thrown the shot put, high jumped, hurdled, thrown the discus, pole vaulted or run anything over the 400m. Curtis had been training at a very high level before he ever left for Durham. Where Ashton had a huge advantage over Curtis was in his opportunity to grow and develop at his own pace with no pressure. Poor Curtis doesn't have that luxury. I think if Curtis can keep his focus amidst all his superfans' lunatic expectations he will have a fine career. I also think he has a fine coach in Shawn W., but listing only his decathlon accomplishments seems strange to me. Though cited ad nauseum, I have found no correlation between personal athletic success and future coaching success.

Comment

Originally posted by decafan
                  Where Ashton had a huge advantage over Curtis was in his opportunity to grow and develop at his own pace with no pressure. Poor Curtis doesn't have that luxury.
                  Good reason to go to Duke rather than a 'high-powered' program, maybe?

Comment

Multi shot put should have started about 15 minutes ago. Probably won't take long

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                      Originally posted by decafan
                      Where Ashton had a huge advantage over Curtis was in his opportunity to grow and develop at his own pace with no pressure. Poor Curtis doesn't have that luxury.
                      Good reason to go to Duke rather than a 'high-powered' program, maybe?
                      How is Oregon not high-powered? Considering how 'skinny' Beach was coming out of HS, I think everyone understood he was a long-term project.

Comment

Going from last year's best SP of 13.12(674) to 14.22(742) will add 68 points to Eaton's total. That isn't trivial. 6499 is beginning to look soft.

Comment

MSP Results: http://www.flashresults.com/2011_Meets/ ... s105-1.htm

1 Trey Hardee USA 15.94m
                          2 Bryan Clay USA 15.24m
                          3 Jake Arnold USA 14.90m
                          4 Ashton Eaton USA 14.22m
                          5 Curtis Beach USA 11.93m

Click the link to see their series.

Comment

Hurdle results now up: http://www.flashresults.com/2011_Meets/ ... s105-2.htm

1 Ashton Eaton USA 7.64 1074
                            2 Bryan Clay USA 7.78 1038
                            3 Trey Hardee USA 7.83 1025
                            4 Jake Arnold USA 8.06 967
                            5 Curtis Beach USA 8.30 908

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
                              MSP Results: http://www.flashresults.com/2011_Meets/ ... s105-1.htm

1 Trey Hardee USA 15.94m
                              2 Bryan Clay USA 15.24m
                              3 Jake Arnold USA 14.90m
                              4 Ashton Eaton USA 14.22m
                              5 Curtis Beach USA 11.93m

Click the link to see their series.
                              I'm more intereested in clicking the link to see the measure in a language that Murkans speak.

Comment

1 Ashton Eaton USA 2.05m 6-8 ¾ 850
                                2 Curtis Beach USA 2.05m 6-8 ¾ 850
                                3 Trey Hardee USA 1.96m 6-5 767
                                3 Bryan Clay USA 1.96m 6-5 767
                                5 Jake Arnold USA 1.93m 6-4 740

The improvement in the shot hasn't hurt Eaton's HJ either.

Comment

Working...
                                X