Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eaton/Clay/Hardee at Millrose

The most ominous mark for the rest of the world's decathletes may have been Eaton's SP.
    Nice to see Beach competing well again.
    What incoherent babbling in the ESPN commentary for this event.

Comment

I was there. Eaton looked great in the SP warmups, going 45' and 46' with practice throws that would have been legal (in other words, he stayed within the ring). I have little doubt that he'll be able to hit 48' this year. He looks a little bit bigger in the upper body, but not dramatically so. His hurdles race was a .22 PR; nuff said. He also elected not to proceed in the HJ after the clearance that clinched the competition. At that point he had no misses and it's not out of the question that he might have PRed in the HJ as well.

Some other notes:
      While Beach PRed in the SP, he looked lost in that event and through all his practice attempts and his three competition attempts, he really only had one good throw. He needs a ton of improvement (as did Eaton several years ago). Beach's HJ was most impressive as he PRed twice. Clay lost the competition with a poor HJ and his SP was well under his PR. Based on PR's, Clay should have won this competition easily. Hardee's SP PR was most impressive and he also ran a very good hurdles race (not sure if it was a PR or not, but I think it was).

It's early, but I think Eaton has established himself as the man to beat at the Indoor Worlds (but maybe he already did that last year in Fayetteville).

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
        Pro-dom agrees with Eaton. Yesterday:
        Eaton opened 2011 with PRs on consecutive days at the Princeton Relays. On Friday, it was the shot put. That’s a personal best
        Eaton throws shot with the "Russian Two-Step".

Comment

Eaton sure seems confident ahead of Tallinn this weekend:
          http://www.athleticsweekly.com/news/eat ... ld-record/

He has definitely improved this winter, but his heptathlon WR last year was so good, it doesn't leave him with much room for error this year if he wants to improve his WR. But I'm not going to bet against it.

Comment

Originally posted by bushop
            That REALLY surprised me when I saw it. I've also never had one that couldn't throw farther with a basic version of the glide over the 'step-and-shuffle'. Who's that guy's throws coach??!! :P

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
              That REALLY surprised me when I saw it. I've also never had one that couldn't throw farther with a basic version of the glide over the 'step-and-shuffle'. Who's that guy's throws coach??!! :P
              I've coached multiple throwers who threw further with the two-step than glide in the early stages of their career. Those that progressed usually moved to rational or short-long glide. Last spring we had a 2nd year thrower go 56' with the two-step and hoping he can go 60' rotating this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon

He has definitely improved this winter, but his heptathlon WR last year was so good, it doesn't leave him with much room for error this year if he wants to improve his WR. But I'm not going to bet against it.
                Nor I. Who's to say that he couldn't have also PRed in the HJ last weekend (he stopped competing after he had the event won)? I don't think that eventually 6600 points is out of the question and I wouldn't at all be surprised if he breaks the WR in Estonia. He's had a lot of time to rest since last year's NCAAs.

Comment

Originally posted by bruce3404
                  Originally posted by Jon

Nor I. Who's to say that he couldn't have also PRed in the HJ last weekend (he stopped competing after he had the event won)? I don't think that eventually 6600 points is out of the question and I wouldn't at all be surprised if he breaks the WR in Estonia. He's had a lot of time to rest since last year's NCAAs.
                  I think 6600 is well within the realm of the possible and sooner rather than later. His PR's certainly support that. Plus, I have to believe he has at least another 30cm in the pole vault. The 2.11 in the HJ is the only real outlier.

Comment

I've coached multiple throwers who threw further with the two-step than glide in the early stages of their career. Those that progressed usually moved to rational or short-long glide. Last spring we had a 2nd year thrower go 56' with the two-step and hoping he can go 60' rotating this season.
                    R-E-A-L-L-Y! That strikes me as a coach with a second year High Jumper doing the scissors in a meet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
                      I think 6600 is well within the realm of the possible and sooner rather than later. His PR's certainly support that. Plus, I have to believe he has at least another 30cm in the pole vault. The 2.11 in the HJ is the only real outlier.
                      I took this year's PRs and then added up his marks in the other 5 events in Fayetteville; if he can equal those marks (big if, I know) his total would be 6706. The only PR that precedes Fayetteville or this season is the PV. He vaulted 5.10 in Fayetteville, his PR is 5.26, thus on a perfect day (and remember, Fayetteville included FIVE PRs out of 7 events), he would project to score 6756. Without a doubt, no one can touch him indoors. Will be interesting to see if he can match his SP improvements in the discus and javelin during the outdoor season.

Comment

Working...
                      X