Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas Longhorns fans

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: Texas Longhorns fans

    how do u not recruit some of those athletes based on their high school PR?? Recruiting the "Right" athletes is always important, but u really never know how they behave in college until they step on college soil. I do think Bev has the right athletes with her freshman class.

    Well.. speaking of not being able to adapt... Texas is #3 on the Poll while A&M is #5. I know it's still way early, and final rankings will definitely change, but hey, i think this is an indication Bev is making good progress with her Team. I think this team is headed in the right direction.

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: Texas Longhorns fans

      Let's revisit this after conf and again after nationals (keeping in mind outdoors is the ultimate test).

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: Texas Longhorns fans

        Originally posted by texas_speed
        I said "in part" about Bianca and I promise you that was part of the reason. She held herself out of one prominent indoor meet that year because Bev wanted her to run and she knew she wasn't 100%. These are facts I know first hand.

        I never said anyone ONLY went pro for that reason but it was a factor I assure you. Ask any of the ladies who left early or any of those who ultimately gave up on the sport.

        This thread says "Texas Longhorn fans." I'm a fan and alum so I expect better because I was on campus at a time when it was better. I'm not focusing on other elite programs because 1) that's the purpose of this thread and 2) I don't have personal attachment to those programs.

        I never said Beard and co. would've only been successful at A&M. What I am saying is I personally believe people like Kira Robinson & Alandra Sherman would've seen similar success that they had in HS if they'd gone to LSU or somewhere like that because programs were in place to better develop the talent. Shouldn't be the case but that's how it was.

        I fully support and love Texas but there is nothing wrong with expecting better. I think Bev got complacent and assumed we'd just win because we're Texas. Same thing happened with the football team and look at the drastic changes they've made to make sure that doesn't happen again.

        I think the key breakdown here is I'm only speaking on what we know based on history and you're speaking on potential which has not yet been reached. It also begsvthe question WHY are all of Texas' stars always hurt? Training? Overuse? Coincidence? I say it's a combination but just look...every stud with the exception of Sanya experienced significant injuries at Texas. We can agree on that right? It's fact. No need to get butt hurt. Youre preaching IF IF IF. I just want to see WHEN...as in results. You believe it before you see it. I see it and then believe it. End of the day I've said several times I hope what I know changes and what we all want as Longhorn fans (Texas to be back on top) happens. Dont get so offended. I just try to remove the burnt orange glasses more than most.

        Still, it's Hook Em all day in my world.

        T S,
        Are you serious? This is not thay crucial for me to get offended. You reading into this way too deep. You keep your foucus on what happen in the past & I will keep my focus on the present & the future. Texas Lady Horns will kick butt this outdoor season & the seasons to come.

        You will soon wear the hell out of your burnt orange glasses. :lol:

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: Texas Longhorns fans

          You still don't seem to get it. But ok.

          Hook 'Em.

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: Texas Longhorns fans

            Originally posted by texas_speed
            You still don't seem to get it. But ok.

            Hook 'Em.

            Trust me, I get it. To sum things up, you are saying at the moment you are not too impress with Bev & the lady longhorns performance. Especially, since the fact that Texas hasn't competed in a 4x100 in a while. You stated that you are a fan, & an alum, which you see things a little differently than most of us longhorn fans. You pretty much blame Bev for the nagging injuries of her athletes, not looking at many of them came to the program with the nagging injuries. You also mentioned that you can careless about the other programs athletes who didn't progress as some of the Texas athletes that you have mention. And your reason is because you say that you are a Longhorn fan, & can careless about the other programs. Which I find that you are not being a fair person. Why just put Bev under the microscope? Tell me what "elite" collegiate coach program that doesn't have it's moment? I think throughout the years, every program has their moment. Don't get me wrong, there are some points that you have made that I do agree with. But, to place most of the blame on Bev, is not fair at all. And to finally clear things up...I'm not the type of fan to be so bias, that would go to the extreme to be ignorant to facts. I look at the big picture before i state my opinion/s of anything I post on these forums. I think with A&M losing some of their elite fire power, as well as LSU, Oregon, & some of the others this season, which lead me to believe that Texas will be one of the programs to watch out for in the seasons to come.

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: Texas Longhorns fans

              Much of your summation is incorrect, primarily because it forgets the fact that this thread was about TEXAS and TEXAS only when it was created.

              A back and forth between you and I at this point detracts more and more from the purpose of the thread.

              Hook. Em. Horns.

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: Texas Longhorns fans

                Originally posted by texas_speed
                Much of your summation is incorrect, primarily because it forgets the fact that this thread was about TEXAS and TEXAS only when it was created.

                A back and forth between you and I at this point detracts more and more from the purpose of the thread.

                Hook. Em. Horns.


                You're welcome!

                Hook em' Horns!!!

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: Texas Longhorns fans

                  Trackonthebrain - You previously said "She tried to run but wasn't able to go all out so how could she have helped the team: by running anyway and not being able to sprint (not good for a sprinter); and getting hurt worse so she wouldn't be available for the rest of the indoor season?"

                  I bring this up because everyone keeps saying "if/when Goodman gets healthy."

                  I realize the statement I quoted was in reference to Bianca but the premise is the same.

                  From the results Goodman continues to display it appears she still isn't 100% yet still is competing.

                  Someone else pointed out Bev is no longer just chasing points and is actually running people in events they belong in. If that's the case, what is Chantel Malone doing in the 200? I didn't check the event schedule but I hope the 200 came AFTER the long jump. Even if it did, what's the point in running her there when she also has the triple jump (I think?) & maybe even a 4x4 potentially if needed? Must say I'm shocked she didn't jump further and was ultimately beaten by a freshman.

                  I'm honestly kind of confused and more than anything asking the opinion of those who were following more closely than I to begin the year. What I see still appears to be much of the same that I've been told is no longer present. I'm not trying to be critical, I'm simply asking and acknowledge I'm only going off my opinion/observation and that its possible I'm off base.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: Texas Longhorns fans

                    Chantel tied for the Longest jump of the night. She just got barely beat out by her 2nd longest jump. It's not like she totally folded. She still had the longest jump of the night.
                    The LJ was her first event too. So you can not say she was overworked at conference causing her to not win outright. She has a stellar 400 time too, but the 400 scheduled event was too close to the LJ event, so she didn't run. Unless u're Bev or Chantel, who exactly knows why she ran the 200. It could be to get her feet warmed-up for the 4x400 tomorrow. I don't see many other athletes being overworked (u just only mention Chantel). There were so many places where Bev could have doubled up but she didn't (Betzy in the mile, some of the 400 in the 600y, Behm in the DMR, , etc..). Chalonda only ran the 60m too. After not running for such a long time. She still needs some good training to build strength.

                    If you want to see ppl being overused, look at A&M. Gabby Mayo ran 3 events like within hours of each other in one day. She could be running 4 event s on Saturday if she qualified for the 200.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: Texas Longhorns fans

                      Originally posted by texas_speed
                      Trackonthebrain - You previously said "She tried to run but wasn't able to go all out so how could she have helped the team: by running anyway and not being able to sprint (not good for a sprinter); and getting hurt worse so she wouldn't be available for the rest of the indoor season?"

                      I bring this up because everyone keeps saying "if/when Goodman gets healthy."

                      I realize the statement I quoted was in reference to Bianca but the premise is the same.

                      From the results Goodman continues to display it appears she still isn't 100% yet still is competing.

                      Someone else pointed out Bev is no longer just chasing points and is actually running people in events they belong in. If that's the case, what is Chantel Malone doing in the 200? I didn't check the event schedule but I hope the 200 came AFTER the long jump. Even if it did, what's the point in running her there when she also has the triple jump (I think?) & maybe even a 4x4 potentially if needed? Must say I'm shocked she didn't jump further and was ultimately beaten by a freshman.

                      I'm honestly kind of confused and more than anything asking the opinion of those who were following more closely than I to begin the year. What I see still appears to be much of the same that I've been told is no longer present. I'm not trying to be critical, I'm simply asking and acknowledge I'm only going off my opinion/observation and that its possible I'm off base.




                      Texas Speed, you're a Texas fan alright, a Texas A&M fan! How can you not see Texas A&M doubling/trippling up on their athletes? But, you can clearly see Bev doubling up on one or two of her athletes. I think you need to remove your moroon shades, and try to look forward to the future of the Lady Lonhorns. I honestly think both Allison & Chalonda did quite well due to their injuries.

                      A friendly FYI: You will find most of the coaches in the nation utilizing some of their athletes in events they don't normally compete in to score points to win their conference title. It's called collegiate track and field. I witnessed a lot of this at the Conference USA Championship @ UofH on yesterday. Again, you will see this in the other conferences as well.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: Texas Longhorns fans

                        Originally posted by LH06
                        Chantel tied for the Longest jump of the night. She just got barely beat out by her 2nd longest jump. It's not like she totally folded. She still had the longest jump of the night.
                        The LJ was her first event too. So you can not say she was overworked at conference causing her to not win outright. She has a stellar 400 time too, but the 400 scheduled event was too close to the LJ event, so she didn't run. Unless u're Bev or Chantel, who exactly knows why she ran the 200. It could be to get her feet warmed-up for the 4x400 tomorrow. I don't see many other athletes being overworked (u just only mention Chantel). There were so many places where Bev could have doubled up but she didn't (Betzy in the mile, some of the 400 in the 600y, Behm in the DMR, , etc..). Chalonda only ran the 60m too. After not running for such a long time. She still needs some good training to build strength.

                        If you want to see ppl being overused, look at A&M. Gabby Mayo ran 3 events like within hours of each other in one day. She could be running 4 event s on Saturday if she qualified for the 200.


                        Agreed! I think Bev & Chantel believe that Chantel could score some points in the 200, that's why she was competiting in that event. In the conference & NCAA meets, you place athletes in other events to win, but without burning them out. Bev, could have thrown so many of her athletes in other events, that some just might have scored in but she didn't.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: Texas Longhorns fans

                          Texas Speed, I think you are over estimating Chalonda's 60 speed in the first place. I don't know what her PR is but 7.48 is not at all bad with her coming back from injury so far this year. Driving explosively out of the blocks is probably still a little scary as she comes back into full form. She's probably still popping straight up out of the blocks and then starting to run. And the start is a huge part of the short sprint. Don't forget, she is really a 200 runner who ran 11.40's and 11.30's in HS. She ran one windy 11.18 at the notoriously fast and windy track in Eugene.

                          I don't believe you would see her out there if she were not healthy. But if you've had an ankle or achilles injury, it takes time to gain confidence in your body that it won't let you down if you really really pop those first 4 steps.

                          As for the team, with a couple minor exceptions, they are basically running to form. Chantel tied for 1st, 3 400 runners advance, fastest q in the 600, Behm scores in the 5k (should have placed higher). Nelson in the 200, Hall q in the 1000. The DMR 3rd place.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: Texas Longhorns fans

                            LH06 & trackonthebrain - Thanks for the input. Excellent points. I never really saw Goodman as much of a 60m runner but I guess from comments of some, it came across as if she's not performing better because of some injury.

                            Txhottrack - I'm no Aggie or Aggie fan. Wish you had more to add to the conversation than childish banter.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: Texas Longhorns fans

                              Texas Speed. I think u would be VERY proud of the freshman class. They really proved themselves today, and if anything, I think a lot has to do with Coaching Staff, especially prepping a class of freshman with no big college meet experience and with everyone keeping an eye on all the upperclassmen throughout the BIG XII. This is the class, i will always say is Bev's athletes. I will include Kendra Chambers in this newcomers class too. they were amazing and will only get better. Please be patient w/ Texas this yr, but I would say next yr, especially if Bev can recruit a few more stellar folks, they are gonna be a special team. The Frosh class almost helped them beat A&M. It was very close. if we had just scored .5 more point going into the 4x400, we coulda potentially beat A&M with the 4x400 relays and i think u woulda seen a totally different line-up for the last race.

                              The Freshman class better have inspired the Upperclassmen, cuz they are gonna pass them up very soon. They could be a huge force in outdoors.

                              and about Chalonda Goodman and Allison Peter, I think Trackonthebrain is totally correct. A lot has to do with confidence with them. I think they are pretty explosive runners who could run a 60m well (but prolly find more success in 200m). it's very important pushing off the blocks, but after having ankle injuries that Goodman and Peter experienced, they aren't exploding yet like i expect them to soon. Like trackonthebrain said, Peter and Goodman are likely just popping straight up until they get that confidence back.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: Texas Longhorns fans

                                Congrats to Texas 3rd place finish. Hopefully, Texas can get more athletes thru to NCCA meet, especially the sprinters. I can't wait to see what these ladies do this coming outdoor season. I will have to take some time from my business schedule to see this stellar class in action.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X