Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Texas Longhorns fans

Alex? Personally I don't think she ever lived up to what she could be because she was used to a point where she was always injured. Unfortunately she'll never see sucess at the pro level until she gets away from Bev.

Well, winning USA Indoor Championship beating an expierenced stellar fields with a time of 7.12 isn't too bad under Bev. Would you agree, especially since she's not really known for her 60 mtrs speed?

Comment

Originally posted by LH06
      Texas Speed. I think u would be VERY proud of the freshman class. They really proved themselves today, and if anything, I think a lot has to do with Coaching Staff, especially prepping a class of freshman with no big college meet experience and with everyone keeping an eye on all the upperclassmen throughout the BIG XII. This is the class, i will always say is Bev's athletes. I will include Kendra Chambers in this newcomers class too. they were amazing and will only get better. Please be patient w/ Texas this yr, but I would say next yr, especially if Bev can recruit a few more stellar folks, they are gonna be a special team. The Frosh class almost helped them beat A&M. It was very close. if we had just scored .5 more point going into the 4x400, we coulda potentially beat A&M with the 4x400 relays and i think u woulda seen a totally different line-up for the last race.

The Freshman class better have inspired the Upperclassmen, cuz they are gonna pass them up very soon. They could be a huge force in outdoors.

and about Chalonda Goodman and Allison Peter, I think Trackonthebrain is totally correct. A lot has to do with confidence with them. I think they are pretty explosive runners who could run a 60m well (but prolly find more success in 200m). it's very important pushing off the blocks, but after having ankle injuries that Goodman and Peter experienced, they aren't exploding yet like i expect them to soon. Like trackonthebrain said, Peter and Goodman are likely just popping straight up until they get that confidence back.
      Just as you predicted, the freshman class did impress. Hopefully the upperclassmen take notice and are inspired by the young guns efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by TxHottrack
        Alex? Personally I don't think she ever lived up to what she could be because she was used to a point where she was always injured. Unfortunately she'll never see sucess at the pro level until she gets away from Bev.

Well, winning USA Indoor Championship beating an expierenced stellar fields with a time of 7.12 isn't too bad under Bev. Would you agree, especially since she's not really known for her 60 mtrs speed?
        I think a couple things should be pointed out.

1) They were at altitude. I admit, I still to this day do not know what the true impact of that is but when you see just about every sprinter run a PR or close to it, it does make you wonder a bit. It reminds me of Porscha Lucas (I think) runnning a PR in the 200 at altitude and the fact that she hasn't approached it since. I also should be more careful when I choose certain phrases. I base "sucess" upon what is expected of a given athlete/what their skill set "should" be capable of (in my unimportant opinion of course). And I never use indoor 60m success as validation for a person who primarily competes in the 100/200 outdoors. Doing what she did in HS and following Sanya and Marshevet to Texas, I always expected more of "The Great" from Alex. I suppose that is unfair to an extent but that's the way I've viewed her personally. I honestly felt as if she was "NEXT" in the line of US sprinters and would be further along than she is already but I concede again that's probably unfair (also factoring her past injuries).

2) Experienced stellar fields is a bit much. The only true scalp she took was Carmelita's (who interestingly enough did not at all look race sharp or even remotely physically impressive as she did last year). Alex and Shalonda are virtually "equals" when it comes to their talent. Asumnu has been a fast starter traditionally but fades late in races (and she ran like 11 indoor races before this weekend this year alone!). The rest were also rans. By all accounts, Alex should've been prepared to run what she did as she ran a full indoor circuit and those races were her 6th and 7th indoor races on the season. I think it also goes to Carmelita faltering in "big races" again as well (not taking anything from Alex but it is somewhat of a pattern...I think she struggles being the favorite).

3) I'm actually very happy for Alex. I'd like to think that this is a bit of a breakthrough for her and hopefully that carries over into the outdoor season. That being said, indoors has never really meant much to me when it comes to the pros. She still has 40m to go come outdoors and Carmelita was closing on her like gangbusters. Alex definitely deserves credit for executing though. She nailed her start and held on until the end. If I had to pick today, I'd probably peg her to finish 4th at USATFs at the end of June (some order of Jeter, Myers and Williams finish ahead of her in my eyes...as much as I want to count Williams out she always shows up). And that's without knowing what kind of form Muna may show up in. That all being said, Alex probably has her best chance this year of any since she's been pro based on her finally being healthy from what I can tell.

4) With respect to Bev...I still stand by my statement. Alex is seems to be still on a training regiment similar to a collegiate athlete and she tends to burn out (IMO) at the end of the season because of it. That is to say...she still trains with the college girls so it stands to reason that on a weekend when they were peaking at Big XIIs, she'd be ready to as well. The obvious difference being that Alex will need to step up when it counts in late June, then again in July at European meets and (if she makes the team) once more in Daegu in August. I could be wrong. I've been wrong a couple times in this thread already (i.e. the freshmen stepping up) but I don't think I'm too far off base on this one. Last season she never got under 11.2x (throw out Clermont...most concede something is up with the times down there) and ended her season in early July (her being so fresh/not racing since July could have also played a huge key into her sucess this weekend). She still has a ways to go but she seems to be on the right track. I just hope she can sustain it over the course of the season. I still believe if she were under a different training regiment we'd see the best out of her (i.e. Kersee, Brauman, Drummond, etc.) but we'll see as the outdoor season unfolds.

As I always like to say...on to the REAL season now! Can't wait!

Comment

Texas_speed -- Don't you think Alex has improved though since coming into college with Bev? When you talk to Alex, she mentions that her injuries really did affect her run and her confidence.... She also mentioned that it was tough to train on her own (especially when Bianca Knight left, and when some expected Victoria Jordan to be there). I think she put up great numbers her freshman year because she had Marshavett Hooker around and she had a great mentor to look up to. After Texas lost that kind of leadership, I think Alex put too much pressure on herself, especially trying to battle through it w/ injuries.

I do think you bring up a good point about training under the 'college schedule' and it's kind of coincidence that she ran well right when BIG XIIs took place.

I really hope She does well in outdoors. I think she's a great person and does things right. I think she's a lot stronger/healthier than she was in college, so I really hope she can keep up in the 2nd half of the season

Comment

Texas Speed, I think you will be proven wrong about Alex this season. And I'm sure you also hope to be proven wrong because from prior threads, it is clear you wish her well and just hope she lives up to her potential. This is the year that she is "breaking through". I spoke to former Tigerbells coach Ed Temple and when you hear him tell the story of Wilma Rudolph's development, it is strikingly similar to Alex's - low confidence keeping her from performing up to her potential early on - then finally realizing "who she really was" and then dominating from that point on.

Last year she was hurt (coming off a major injury - and needing the year to get her legs back under her). This year you will see the beginning of one of the next 2 great American sprinters (the other being Bianca Knight at 200). 10.80's or better and a US championship (or top 2 depending on Myers performance), ironically, all Bev's sprinters.

Comment

Originally posted by trackonthebrain
              This year you will see the beginning of one of the next 2 great American sprinters (the other being Bianca Knight at 200). 10.80's or better and a US championship (or top 2 depending on Myers performance), ironically, all Bev's sprinters.
              Bianca Knight!? Bianca Knight!? One of the next great American sprinters!? 10.80 or better!? :lol: I wish her the absolute best, but she won't get much better than her current PB's, imo. (is she still with her HS coach?)

To be "one of the next..." she has to run sub-10.80/sub-21.80 and I honestly don't see that happening.

P.S. and I won't count any times run in, or around, Clermont, FL

Comment

Texas_speed -- Don't you think Alex has improved though since coming into college with Bev? When you talk to Alex, she mentions that her injuries really did affect her run and her confidence.... She also mentioned that it was tough to train on her own (especially when Bianca Knight left, and when some expected Victoria Jordan to be there). I think she put up great numbers her freshman year because she had Marshavett Hooker around and she had a great mentor to look up to. After Texas lost that kind of leadership, I think Alex put too much pressure on herself, especially trying to battle through it w/ injuries.

I do think you bring up a good point about training under the 'college schedule' and it's kind of coincidence that she ran well right when BIG XIIs took place.

I really hope She does well in outdoors. I think she's a great person and does things right. I think she's a lot stronger/healthier than she was in college, so I really hope she can keep up in the 2nd half of the season
                I think she improved at a slower rate than she should have if that makes any sense and I suppose I blame Bev more than I do Alex for her injuries. Whether that's fair or not, I'm not sure but that's my take.

I can understand the training tough on her own though...I think that makes some sense.

I think generally speaking, you and I are on the same page with respect to Alex and our hopes for her.

Comment

Originally posted by trackonthebrain
                  Texas Speed, I think you will be proven wrong about Alex this season. And I'm sure you also hope to be proven wrong because from prior threads, it is clear you wish her well and just hope she lives up to her potential. This is the year that she is "breaking through". I spoke to former Tigerbells coach Ed Temple and when you hear him tell the story of Wilma Rudolph's development, it is strikingly similar to Alex's - low confidence keeping her from performing up to her potential early on - then finally realizing "who she really was" and then dominating from that point on.

Last year she was hurt (coming off a major injury - and needing the year to get her legs back under her). This year you will see the beginning of one of the next 2 great American sprinters (the other being Bianca Knight at 200). 10.80's or better and a US championship (or top 2 depending on Myers performance), ironically, all Bev's sprinters.
                  Your first two sentences are VERY true. I just speak on what I think but it doesn't at all mean if what I think is negative that I'm rooting for that to happen. In fact, quite the opposite.

Ironically, both Alex and Marshevet suffered from significant injuries under Bev that hampered them early in their pro careers. I think I've made clear who I "blame" for those injuries (and you could push that to Bianca a bit as well I suppose). I looked at them both (Alex and Marshevet) the way some pro football coaches view RBs with lots of carries under their belt in college. Not always a harbinger of death but potentially a "buyer beware" red flag.

Comment

7-sided - I think the "10.80s or better" reference was to Alex and Marshevet, not Bianca.

For the record, I think Marshevet is capable of 10.8x or better this year. Alex I see around 10.97.

Comment

I agree with texas_speed about Alex in regards to her time. About 10.9mid...

Bianca sub-22.... Far from it... Far far from it....

Comment

Didn't Bianca beat VCB in one of the smaller meets? I was hoping that she turned the corner then.. but here's hope to a bright future for her too

Comment

If Bev hasn't announced her class yet, do yall think she will eventualy announce or prolly not announce her 'signing class'

i'm very curious to see who she has signed this year, if anybody may know

Comment

If Bev hasn't announced her class yet, do yall think she will eventualy announce or prolly not announce her 'signing class'

i'm very curious to see who she has signed this year, if anybody may know

I'm curious as well. Maybe late Aug 0r early Sept?

Comment

This is pretty odd.

In year's past it is always announced in February with an occassional final addition in early March. I recall someone signing in April once and maybe even Novemebr (Bianca?) but usually it's much earlier.

Not sure what to read into it, if anything.

Comment

Originally posted by texas_speed
                                This is pretty odd.

In year's past it is always announced in February with an occassional final addition in early March. I recall someone signing in April once and maybe even Novemebr (Bianca?) but usually it's much earlier.

Not sure what to read into it, if anything.

I think Bianca did commit during Texas Relays. That was my first time seeing her run outoors. a few times indoors as a highschooler, but at Texas Relays, she left everyone in the 100 mtrs...she atleast had 20 to 30 mtrs on the field.

Comment

Working...
                                X