Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millrose Observations

The crowd seemed definitely smaller than last year. The entire top ring of MSG was closed and the rest of the place was not much more than half full. Take the hundreds of HS athletes, their families, their school rooting sections away and that might leave 6000 people who came out to see track for the sake of track (this in a metro area of almost 20,000,000 people....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_me ... population).

I think the promoters did as good a job as could be hoped for, with the addition of the US-Jamaica battle (though not many Jamaican fans showed up) and the multi-competition.

Fortunately, the live band only played during a 20 minute lull between events when the track was being re-assembled. They weren't bad.

The only part that really was annoying was the loud blaring of AC/DC and other similar loud bands during the SP competition. It was horrible and then the field announcer (Dan O'Brien) asked the crowd for some noise. What for? No one could have heard anyone in the audience over the blaringly loud music. I don't hate loud music. In fact, I went to see Green Day's American Idiot a few days ago. I just don't like it with my track.

Re: Millrose Observations

I'm sure the attendance wasn't helped by the 20+ inches of snow that hit the New York metro area Thursday.
    There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by guru
      I'm sure the attendance wasn't helped by the 20+ inches of snow that hit the New York metro area Thursday.
      Not a huge issue. The worst of it was cleaned up around noon on Thursday. All subway and bus lines were running on normal schedule today. The press tends to make these situations look a lot worse than they really are.

Comment

How about the two lady's mile races? Very entertaining IMHO. Both Mrs. Hall and Ms. Nadel ran smart and strategic races. Plus, seemed to use the boards in their favor. 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by Jnathletics
          How about the two lady's mile races? Very entertaining IMHO. Both Mrs. Hall and Ms. Nadel ran smart and strategic races. Plus, seemed to use the boards in their favor. 8-)
          Yes! Overall it was a very entertaining meet with a multitude of OG and WC medalists and the always entertaining HS and college relays. Two of the most fun races involved the ten year old boys and girls sprints. The winning girl had the best time and she had terrific mechanics; her arms and hands looked as controlled as Tyson Gay. In the boys race, there was a dead heat, but one of the guys had a great lean into the tape.
          "The cheapest tickets were $15, or about what it costs to see a movie in NYC ", he said, scratching his head.

Comment

Fun meet this year. Better than the past couple of years in terms of competition I think, with a number of close competitive races (including the Wannamaker Mile, of course) and a lot of interesting high school, etc. races.

But they still get a failing grade on meet presentation. I couldn't agree more about the loud thudding music. In addition to being just plain annoying, having announcers try to talk over it constantly just makes the already difficult acoustics in the Garden so much worse. I barely heard an intelligible announcement all night, and I think that (along with the ridiculously amateurish use of the Garden's scoreboards) makes the all-important conveying of information to the crowd just about impossible, leaving a lot of people watching an event they can't really follow.

It's also a shame that the attendance wasn't better. I do think that the snow had an impact, despite the fact that all the subways and trains were running. A surprising number of people actually drive to the Garden, especially from Jersey and other suburbs. And the amount of promotion that the Millrose management does (almost certainly due to budget constraints) seems to have declined dramatically. I would bet that a number of more casual track fans didn't even know the meet was happening tonight.

I also have to wonder if anyone involved has taken note of the fact that attendance has declined precipitously since they began playing that supposedly crowd-attracting music throughout the meet. A practice that some event management types seem to have sold them on as vital to juicing up the entertainment value of the event. However, they actually attracted many more people back when they simply held a plain old track meet, with audible announcements and all, instead of attempting to put on an "entertainment" event featuring a lot of people running around accompanied by a cacophony of loud music.

Comment

I go to a concert if I want music not a track meet.

As far as TV goes. Drop talking to lawyers/little kid races/high school events over a 600. Forget ...USA vs Jamaica. That is unless you have Usain Bolt and Asafa Powell vs Tyson Gay. Since they did have an NFL player in that silly Super 60 which was anything but why not do it right? Now...

lane

1.Deseun Jackson...Eagles
              2.Jamaal Charles..Chiefs
              3.Jacoby Ford...Raiders
              4.Chris Johnson...Titans
              5.C.J.Spiller...Bills
              6.Trinton Holiday...Texans

(Javid Best?)

....that's a Super 60 and has football fans watchings. Yes I know a couple of those guys are nursing injuries ....just an example. Have the years...NFL's Fastest Man ..decided at the Millrose Games.....I like it. Obviously if one of the contenders is in the Superbowl he's out.

I guess world class female sprinters really can't run with NFL players. Jacoby Jones would have won the............

Comment

See my comments on the other thread. A big part of the problem is that Millrose gets very little free media coverage compared to the past.

I was guessing they drew 8,000 last night compared to 11,500 last year when Lagat chased after the Wannamaker record. I do not think they announced the attendance because non of the newspapers noted it like they usually do.

The weather probably did not make that much of a difference as most of the tickets are purchased in advance and people could get around okay by Friday. But every little bit helps or hurts.

Comment

I think Millrose (and track in general) should do better with new media than they do. I can't tell you how annoying it is to try to find the Millrose website in December; it doesn't exist. What about facebook? Twitter? A track forum that involves track athletes and their coaches? I realize it takes people to run these operations; maybe Millrose can put the right people in the right place, just to help promotions, since the traditional media pretty much doesn't care anymore.

I would tweak the celebrity races a bit. I'd also gather the top base-stealers in baseball (Carl Crawford, etc.) and have them run a baseball 60 meter dash, in addition to a football 60. Maybe get Derek Jeter to participate and therefore attract Yankee fans. :lol:

Of course, the bigger issue is the decline of track in general. The Millrose crowd simply reflected the appetite for track, sadly.

Comment

Statistical freak???

In the Millrose boy's HS weight throw official results, it lists a tie for 5th place.....

however, both contestants are listed as having an exactly identical series.....round 1 19.60, round 2 19.57, round 3 NM round 4 NM round 5 18.58, round 6 NM........is that accurate?

To have a tie over 6 rounds, and to have the legally measured throws occur in the same exact round, and the same number of "no marks" and legals.....

Anybody know if this is a clerical error or legit?

Comment

Re having a football dash or a baseball dash:

Can't happen with active players who are under contract. The standard player contract in both sports bars athetes from participating in such events.

Two reasons (at least):

From management's side, the risk of injury is much greater than the reward.

From the union's side, the below-scale pay for an appearance hurts the contracted value of the athlete.

We're no longer in the days of pro athletes having second jobs during the off-season or going on barnstorming tours. Back then, such races did happen, albeit rarely and seldom with more than two or three participants.

Comment

Originally posted by hammer forever
                        Statistical freak???

In the Millrose boy's HS weight throw official results, it lists a tie for 5th place.....

however, both contestants are listed as having an exactly identical series.....round 1 19.60, round 2 19.57, round 3 NM round 4 NM round 5 18.58, round 6 NM........is that accurate?

To have a tie over 6 rounds, and to have the legally measured throws occur in the same exact round, and the same number of "no marks" and legals.....

Anybody know if this is a clerical error or legit?
                        That is improbable :shock: I have had to go to the 5th jump tie-breaker in LJ but only the last three were identical in rounds 4 thru 6.
                        I don't know what happened here but if I had to guess ( if manually recorded ), the recorder got mixed up in crediting throws to the wrong thrower, missed a throw, couldn't sort it out, finally said screw it, what difference does it make for 5th place?....gave them the same results.. just a guess....and don't say it doesn't happen.
                        Or, someone screwed up in transferring manual record to the computer. (most probable)
                        Which is why you always need two recorders.

Comment

Originally posted by dj

Can't happen with active players who are under contract. The standard player contract in both sports bars athetes from participating in such events.

Two reasons (at least):

From the union's side, the below-scale pay for an appearance hurts the contracted value of the athlete.

We're no longer in the days of pro athletes having second jobs during the off-season or going on barnstorming tours. Back then, such races did happen, albeit rarely and seldom with more than two or three participants.
                          Isn't Jacoby Jones still active?

Comment

Originally posted by dj

Two reasons (at least):

Things are constantly changing. This would be another change.

Comment

Originally posted by GDAWG
                              Originally posted by dj

Two reasons (at least):

Isn't Jacoby Jones still active?
                              Not as I've been led to believe.

His season is over (probably his contract as well), and there is no likelihood of a new contract anytime soon. It could be that lots of people are scrambling for jobs soon, particularly once the NFL Commissioner announced he's prepared to take a $9,999,999 per year pay cut.

Comment

Working...
                              X