Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ukhov jumps 2.38m, gets very close to would-be WR 2.44m

Tonight in Hustopece, Ukhov sailed over 2.30m, 2.34m, got 2.38m on his second attempt with room to spare, then had two very near misses at 2.44m:
    http://www.athleticsweekly.com/news/ukh ... ld-record/

Re: Ukhov jumps 2.38m, gets very close to would-be WR 2.44m

Know if there's any video of it?

Comment

Sure, we need the video!
      He likes it in Hustopece. Almost cleared 2.41 there last year. That video we can see.

Ukhov is definitely the most exciting HJer around.

Comment

Yes, we need to see the video before "very close to 2.44m" is legit in my mind.
        With respect to whoever witnessed and wrote the article, the reality is that the majority of "very close" attempts are no such thing...

Comment

Instead, this time it was really very close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLfNaoB2sMY -> here is the video. I wish him to jump the WR, he deserves it and has it in his legs, in my opinion.

Comment

I'd call it close (not sure about "very"); Mark, very curious as to what a HJ insider would say.

Comment

Looks pretty close to me.

Comment

WOW WOW WOW :lol:

That is impressive!!!

This is so exciting!!! He had the height to clear a WR!!! With a little luck the bar would have stayed on!!! Clearance Timing on 2m44cm ain`t easy and pretty hard to practice for

Lets hope he got this leg shape few more meets.

Congratulations Ukhov!!!

Comment

Pretty obvious he WAS over the bar and hit it going down (look how bar is pushed). He was 'out' in the takeoff, but there's no way of telling whether he had the horizontal travel to make it. Jumping at that high a trajectory gives one little margin for error.

Comment

I watch the slow motion again, pausing..
                    If that is really 2m44cm and the angle is not deceiving me he s got over 1 inch of clearance at his highest point into his bend over the bar. If his take off would have been a little closer..... then it seems he would have cleared the bar without problems

Comment

at any rate, IMHO, the 2.44 attempt was the best jump the world has seen in several years!

As a caution, though, the story in world class high jumping recently has been that the best results come indoors and very early in the year and decline thereafter.

Comment

Enlarged x2. Seems close to me.

Comment

It was really close but it always bugs me when people take the bar up to these heights prematurely. His indoor PB is 2.40 so why not try '41 or maybe '42 first? They would be huge jumps and he likely would have made it.

Did you see Sotomayor in the background. He wasn't clapping :lol:

Comment

I've just watched the video and the guy looks in frightening form! His clearance of 2.38m lies well within the borders of true world class in the event, let alone attempt at 2.44! I would definitely call that latest attempt close having got his body so high and over the bar...

Comment

Yes, it is close but not extremely close. That flash ruins the view a bit, but he it looks like he hits it high up on his thigh.
                              That means we can't tell if the rest of his thigh/leg would have cleared as the bar had moved somewhat away from its position.

I think he looks a bit leaner than last year. The reason he did not try, say 2.41 is because he's Ukhov

Comment

Working...
                              X