Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: XC AT VAN CORTLANDT PARK

Originally posted by Conor Dary
    Frankly, I suspect this 'love' for the VCP is more because of its long tradition, rather than its 'beauty'.
    To those of us who grew up in NYC...it was a little of both.

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
      I ran the 5 mile course there in college, fall of 1970. It was tough going, but exhilarating at the same time.
      Dave Merrick from Lincoln Way in Illinois had the course record for the 5 mile course for years.

As for myself, I ran the TAC XC Nationals there in 1987. It did not go well.....
      1970 IC4A XC? Merrick as a freshman at Penn led the Quakers as they vied with Nova and Liquori. The two teams went on to finish 3rd and 4th in the NCAA a week or two later I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2
        I ran the 5 mile course there in college, fall of 1970. It was tough going, but exhilarating at the same time.
        Dave Merrick from Lincoln Way in Illinois had the course record for the 5 mile course for years.

As for myself, I ran the TAC XC Nationals there in 1987. It did not go well.....
        1970 IC4A XC? Merrick as a freshman at Penn led the Quakers as they vied with Nova and Liquori. The two teams went on to finish 3rd and 4th in the NCAA a week or two later I think.
        Merrick graduated from high school in 1971. I don't know off hand what year he set the record.

Comment

I have a memory of a unique event at VCP... if anyone else has ever done something similar, let's hear about it:

In 1959, Robin Lingle of Stony Brook School won his league meet ( Ivy Preparatory Schools League) in the late morning at VCP, then in the early afternoon, on the same course, also won a much larger meet ( Eastern States ? ). It got a write up the next day in the NY Times including a picture of him and his coach. So that's it.... TWO CC victories on the same day, on the same course.

Lingle then went on to an outstanding career at Missouri.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
            I have a memory of a unique event at VCP... if anyone else has ever done something similar, let's hear about it:

In 1959, Robin Lingle of Stony Brook School won his league meet ( Ivy Preparatory Schools League) in the late morning at VCP, then in the early afternoon, on the same course, also won a much larger meet ( Eastern States ? ). It got a write up the next day in the NY Times including a picture of him and his coach. So that's it.... TWO CC victories on the same day, on the same course.

Dave Bedford! In 1970, he won both the junior and senior races at the Southern X-C championships. An astonishing day's work...(and, actually, if I remember correctly, the two races were only something like an hour apart).

Comment

'71

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/images ... 71-men.pdf

Comment

[quote=Conor Dary]
                Originally posted by "Conor Dary":1eibem4q

Merrick graduated from high school in 1971. I don't know off hand what year he set the record.[/quote:1eibem4q]

'75

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve

Lingle originally attended Olney HS in North Philadelphia before going to Stony Brook. From Stony Brook he first went to West Point before transferring to Missouri. Eventually he became the coach and AD at the Stony Brook School.

Somehow he must have created a minor pipeline from SBS to Missouri, as Glenn Ogden graduated from SBS in about '65 and went on to run a good 3M for Missouri in the late '60s.

I happened to hear just last night that Lingle passed away about five years. A very good man, based on several conversations I'd had with him through the years.

Comment

Besides the well known famous names in that race, there was also Daniel Moynihan and Richard Reid. We know the latter was not the shoe bomber, but was the former related to the Senator?

Comment

Besides the well known famous names in that race, there was also Daniel Moynihan and Richard Reid. We know the latter was not the shoe bomber, but was the former related to the Senator?
                      I've never known of a Moynihan connection, but the spelling is the same and they both were undergrads at Tufts. On the other hand, I believe Pat Moynihan was living in India as U.S. Ambassador while Dan Moynihan was a senior at Malden Catholic outside Boston. Not that that disproves anything.

Comment

[quote="gh"]My best friend in college, former HS 2M Recordholder Rick Riley, quote]

Are you still in touch, howz he doing, grandchildren? Got my second today!
                        phsstt!

Comment

Working...
                        X