Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday to T&F News

The exact date is unclear, but the first issue of Track and Field News was published in February, 1948. The cover headline read:

1947 Best Track Year In History
    (Patton & Dillard Are Ranked First In Two Events Each)

I can't imagine how different my life would be if the magazine hadn't existed. It introduced me to the Olympics and has provided more than a half-century of enjoyment and guidance as I embarked on my own small publishing ventures.

Thanks to Cordner and Bert Nelson for getting the ball rolling, and thanks to the current crew of Garry Hill, Jon Hendershott, Sieg Lindstrom, Ed Fox, and the rest of the staff for keeping the flame alive all these years. Long may it live.

Re: Happy Birthday to T&F News

Originally posted by Walt Murphy
    Following the WW2 hiatus, one could see why. Back in the day, every Oly year was a quantum step up in quality. That ended in 1968, not only because of the MC results, but the PED Era was upon on.

Comment

The exact date is unclear, but the first issue of Track and Field News was published in February, 1948. The cover headline read:

(Patton & Dillard Are Ranked First In Two Events Each)

I can't imagine how different my life would be if the magazine hadn't existed. It introduced me to the Olympics and has provided more than a half-century of enjoyment and guidance as I embarked on my own small publishing ventures.

Thanks to Cordner and Bert Nelson for getting the ball rolling, and thanks to the current crew of Garry Hill, Jon Hendershott, Sieg Lindstrom, Ed Fox, and the rest of the staff for keeping the flame alive all these years. Long may it live.
      I'm repeating all of the above because I 100 % agree. Good thoughts Walt.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
        Following the WW2 hiatus, one could see why. Back in the day, every Oly year was a quantum step up in quality. That ended in 1968, not only because of the MC results, but the PED Era was upon on.
        On the men's side perhaps, but not the women's, where it was a wild roller coaster ride right until the '90s.

Comment

Yes, happy birthday to TFN. Thank you, Walt. I agree with you. My life would not be the same without TFN. I think about the magazine and Bert and Cordner every day. Thanks, too, to Garry, Ed, Jon, Sieg, and everyone who has ever worked for TFN.

Comment

Happy Birthday to my favorite publication, Natural History being the other 8-) .
            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Many happy returns to T&F News from me too! Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                On the men's side perhaps, but not the women's, where it was a wild roller coaster ride right until the '90s.
                I'd be even a bit more liberal than that--I think it's fairly safe to say that we expected--and got--steady top-end improvements across the board on the men's side at least through the 1970s and well into the 1980s. As noted before, '68 skewed things by throwing up all those crazy altitude (plus Tartan) aided records. But otherwise, I really don't see it as marking the end of any particular era...

And, yes, I agree with everyone above. A very happy birthday to T&FN and thanks to all who have made it happen over these many decades.

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                  Happy Birthday to my favorite publication, Natural History being the other 8-) .
                  AKA Dinosaurs Weekly?

Comment

Unfortunately, that's how the younger generation views T&FN (and basically all things print).

Comment

Just curious but are there any plans to have the entire Track and Field News library online similar to SI Vault? That would be very cool. I bet there are tons of photos in each issue most of us have never seen before. and the covers are well. I'm still trying to get a nice crisp and clear jpeg file of the Mary Decker cover from t he late 1970s.

Comment

Question has been asked before, but I'm afraid the answer remains the same. Not a chance. Not a fiscally viable project for us. We're a mom & operation, not a huge corporate entity.

Comment

Originally posted by 4:24-miler
                          I'm still trying to get a nice crisp and clear jpeg file of the Mary Decker cover from t he late 1970s.
                          The April 1980 cover shot?

Not a very pleasant expression on her face!

This SI one is better!

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/p ... slaney.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 4:24-miler
                            I'm still trying to get a nice crisp and clear jpeg file of the Mary Decker cover from t he late 1970s.
                            The April 1980 cover shot?

Not a very pleasant expression on her face!
                            That'a the one! I just love the intense expression on her face plus the generic uniform, no club name, no corporate logos, etc.

That's a good one too. Though I do like the July 1982 cover where Mary is standing and smiling very nice as well.

Comment

Is that a Franklin Field shot ? Lokks like it.

Comment

Working...
                              X