• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halfmiler2
    replied
    Re: a major breakthrough for athletes!

Originally posted by dj
    Freshman year of college. First away cross country meet. We got $1.25 for lunch money. I was one of two guys on the team with an AAU card, so I'd seen the little pamphlet about what constitutes professionalism.

For my post-race mea I got two whoppers, fries and a large coke. And I was afraid of losing my eligibility for not turning in the change to the athletic department. I finally went along with the rest of the guys and kept the 15 or 20 cents. But I was worried the AD was going to come after us looking for the money we'd absconded with.
    I recall Hal Higdon admitting to professionalism in his book "On the RUn from Dogs and People" when he won a dime in a neighborhood race as a kid. :wink:

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied

Originally posted by az2004
    the sad truth is the vast majority of the world gest by on far less than 10 bucks per day...

maybe 1 buck is close...

perhaps when americans come to realize this, then we'll get to know a little bit more why these poor folk think so poorly of usa fat cats..

when fifa gives the world cup to qatar, we see where the bread really gets buttered
    Not particularly accurate (look at data on median incomes from many countries - Europe and US/Canada, Japan, Oil Middle East, etc, is out as it China and the median in India is vastly higher - this gets you to way past "vast majority" .

None of those on the ragged end of your distribution is trying to reach the end of the athletic rainbow (although I do not know where Brock H sits).

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied

Originally posted by jhc68
    I vaguely recall some Dwight Stones' quote about coming back from Munich in '72 with a Bronze Oly Medal after competing with a bunch of Europeans who were full time athletes and driving expensive sports cars.
    Does he mention any names? I wouldn't have expected many European athletes to make that much money back in 1972. Western Europe didn't really have that many major stars at the time, and the ones from the East, while they were full-time athletes paid by the state, did not make enough to drive Ferraris.

Leave a comment:

• az2004
    replied

the sad truth is the vast majority of the world gest by on far less than 10 bucks per day...

maybe 1 buck is close...

perhaps when americans come to realize this, then we'll get to know a little bit more why these poor folk think so poorly of usa fat cats..

when fifa gives the world cup to qatar, we see where the bread really gets buttered

Leave a comment:

• jhc68
    replied

I vaguely recall some Dwight Stones' quote about coming back from Munich in '72 with a Bronze Oly Medal after competing with a bunch of Europeans who were full time athletes and driving expensive sports cars.
    Then he was faced with the prospect of working menial jobs on campus at UCLA while also trying to become the next WR holder.
    It was a generational conflict: Jim Bush had the old notion of coaching student-athletes who were grateful just to be on campus while Stones had $$$ and glory in mind.
    Stones was soon gone to JC and then LB State where, apparenlty, he pretty much did as he pleased.
    Within a few years Stones had won a substantial amount of money from a TV all-star athletic competition and then donated it all to the rather exclusive track club he represented (Stones being the only member )!
    Like him or not, Dwight had the stones to stretch the archaic system up to and beyond the breaking point.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

Originally posted by dj
    Freshman year of college. First away cross country meet. We got $1.25 for lunch money.
    Adjust that for inflation and I'll bet you could get a decent lunch today.

Leave a comment:

• Quick Silver
    replied

I recall sleeping out under a bush in the park the night before the Pan-Am racewalking meet in Sharon Pennsylvania in about 1972. Olympian Alex Oakley was under the next bush. Them was the days...

Quick Silver
    Hong Kong

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied

Circa 1950-51, coach put six of us in a 49 Ford and dispatched us to Fort Worth for SW Rec Meet, a big early season meet in those halcyon day, with no coach and carte blanc to enter any events we chose.
    He gave each of us $5 and an extra $10 to the driver for the use of his dad's car and gas for the 550 mile Stillwater-Fort Worth round trip. We drove down on Friday and slept on iron frame bunk beds (mattress, no linens) under the west stands of Farrington Field.
    We were four all-purpose sprinter/jumper/hurdlers, one PV/hurdler and one SP/DT/JT.
    I don't remember the details of who won what but we six won the meet ..and drove home..with money in our pockets .

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied

Freshman year of college. First away cross country meet. We got $1.25 for lunch money. I was one of two guys on the team with an AAU card, so I'd seen the little pamphlet about what constitutes professionalism.

For my post-race mea I got two whoppers, fries and a large coke. And I was afraid of losing my eligibility for not turning in the change to the athletic department. I finally went along with the rest of the guys and kept the 15 or 20 cents. But I was worried the AD was going to come after us looking for the money we'd absconded with.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied

The great news is that they NOW allow.... $10 a day! Woohoo! Don't spend it on diamonds and jewels, kids.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied

Rugby union held out even longer (1995). Although that might be because there was always an opportunity to defect to the professional rugby league teams.

This from 1994:
    [RFU]..has finally conceded the principle of broken-time payments by agreeing - after virtually every other leading rugby country - that England players can be paid hardship allowances when on international duty.......England players will now qualify for 40 pounds a day provided they can prove hardship, or at least deduction of earnings by employers.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugb ... 47759.html

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied

Originally posted by gh
    'duty to protect athletes.'
    To protect the athletes from getting any of THEIR money . . .

Leave a comment:

• gh
    started a topic a major breakthrough for athletes!

a major breakthrough for athletes!

In case the youngsters among you have no idea what the sport used to be like, in doing some research I was reading the T&FN account of rules changes adopted at the Montréal Olympics in '76. Among those was the decision to raise the daily allowance it was permissible to give athletes.... wait for it!!!... from $3 to $5. Generous bastards.

It was also noted that "The IAAF Council 'unanimously disapproved' of the proposed Dream Mile series (in which athletes scoring the most points would have the money given to their national federations), stating that it was 'not consistent with the spirit of amateurism.' This hidebound bunch then referred to its 'duty to protect athletes.' "

The story continued, "Showing how completely out of touch with the modern world some people are, in discussing the principle of compensation for loss of earnings while training, the British Board hoped to 'encourage athletes not to devote too much time to athletics and athletics preparation to the detriment of their future.' "

wow
Working...
X