Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thanou gets Olympic gold.

Well, contrary to earlier reports, the International Olympic Committie have come out to assert that Aikaterini Thanou hasn't got hold of the 100m gold medal stripped from Marion Jones:

http://insidethegames.biz/sports/sum...dal-insist-ioc

Comment

If this was solely about "awarding" medals due to "bringing the games into disrepute" (as opposed to athletes actually earning them respective of order in which they crossed the finish line), then why does the campaign stop at Thanou? Assuming that this has to do with what happened in Greece (which we all know was 4 years AFTER Sydney) with the motorbike, then why is she the only one being persecuted? And, if the IOC is going to rewrite history, then why do they honor East German world record holders (as do some posters...)? Certainly, there is as much damning information about them (DDR WR holders)... But, the news now is that the IOC hasn't given her the medal which will only make people ask why. More bad publicity.

She withdrew in 2004; the IOC banned her in 2008 - after she had already made her country's Olympic team... Enough already! Give her the gold medal from 2000 and lets move forward.

Comment

Originally posted by 7-sided
        If this was solely about "awarding" medals due to "bringing the games into disrepute" (as opposed to athletes actually earning them respective of order in which they crossed the finish line), then why does the campaign stop at Thanou? Assuming that this has to do with what happened in Greece (which we all know was 4 years AFTER Sydney) with the motorbike, then why is she the only one being persecuted? And, if the IOC is going to rewrite history, then why do they honor East German world record holders (as do some posters...)? Certainly, there is as much damning information about them (DDR WR holders)... But, the news now is that the IOC hasn't given her the medal which will only make people ask why. More bad publicity.

She withdrew in 2004; the IOC banned her in 2008 - after she had already made her country's Olympic team... Enough already! Give her the gold medal from 2000 and lets move forward.
        Different situation, this is a case where they are handing a drug-adjusting medal to another athlete that is essentially considered a drugged athlete that did it in such an egregious manner that it was really bad for the image of the games and the pageantry of those Games. If I am the IOC guy in charge, I use as many roadblocks as possible to derail or delay such an occurrence. Thanou is both more unrepentant than MJ and less talented and probably did not train as hard. Whats to like...

[The DDR situation is entirely different]

Comment

I don't consider Thanou anywhere near as talented as Marion Jones, as most of the sprinters I've seen, but I can assure you she was talented and training hard. She was 4th in the 100m at the World U20s in Lisboa in 1994 for starters while I used to see her train almost every day as I was training at the same facility she used as her base between 2003-2005.

In fact, she was back in some electrifying form around early winter 2006 into 2007 - can't recall the time she clocked in a time trial over 60m but she was scorching through. Probably got injured at some point because she looked quite sluggish and nowhere near that form later at the European Indoor champs in Birmingham 2007.

Comment

Isabre, you're a frequent poster...but I haven't a clue what you are writing about! Thanou under 20 in 2004? Do you mean 1994 (I don't have the time to look it up)? I mean ALL of your dates don't cooincide with her career. Please clean up your post.

**just looked it up and it appears that you may have adjusted all of your dates a full 10 years. That said, agreed, Thanou was/is talented.

Comment

I actually mixed up 1994 with 2004 as concerns her 4th place at the U20 Worlds, maybe misled by the reference above to the motorcycle incident right on the eve of the Olympic Games in Athens in 2004. The rest of the dates are correct. She kept training even after Athens and into early 2005 before she returned to full training towards the second half of 2006 ahead of the oncoming indoor season, where she competed at the European Indoor champs in Birmingham 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by 7-sided

none of us are advocating retroactivley taking medals off people but that doesn't mean that medals should be handed out to known drug cheats at a later date.

there is no right answer to this mess but making lying cheats like Thanou Olympic gold medalists is the worst possible resolution
                i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
                  there is no right answer to this mess but making lying cheats like Thanou Olympic gold medalists is the worst possible resolution
                  Gotta agree. What is "technically" appropriate here is just wildly WRONG on pretty much every other level. If that gold medal is genuinely "deserved" then we have to admit that it actually isn't worth a thing.

Comment

It reminds me of a case i read about a while ago where this guy murdered his mother in law and the wife got all her mums money. then when the man was released his wife died and left him all the money :shock: :? something like that anyway

i'll go look it up

http://msnbc.newsvine.com/_question/201 ... tims-money
                    i deserve extra credit

Comment

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the 4 x 400 Meter Relay medals from Athens.

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                        Originally posted by mump boy
                        Gotta agree. What is "technically" appropriate here is just wildly WRONG on pretty much every other level. If that gold medal is genuinely "deserved" then we have to admit that it actually isn't worth a thing.
                        In much the same way that the US pursued Marion Jones with a federal investigation, wouldn't it be great if the Greeks did the same to Thanou?

After all, they must be embarrassed by here accession to Olympic gold. However, I'm not holding my breath....
                        My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

Originally posted by shivfan
                          In much the same way that the US pursued Marion Jones with a federal investigation, wouldn't it be great if the Greeks did the same to Thanou?

After all, they must be embarrassed by here accession to Olympic gold. However, I'm not holding my breath....
                          Thanou is facing criminal charges, and neither hers nor Jones' were drug-use charges (nor should they be, FCOL), but rather charges for lying to federal agents/local authorities, in both cases with quite a bit of 'side-decorations', especially in Jones' case where the actual main dish was a fraud charge.

Comment

The linked article has some major charges in it. Included is testimony that there was a call that there would be a motorcycle accident

"Syrigos is on record via his writings that he received a call on the fateful night of August 12, 2004, where a source close to the athletes told him that there would be a motorcycle accident later that evening. The accident did occur about two hours later, around midnight."

He was violently attacked a couple months later.

http://www.hellenicathletes.com/news.php?news_id=571

Comment

Picking up on that article on the link just above:

First, it's not really sure whether the attack carried out on journalist Philippos Syrigos was assossiated with the case of Thanou and Kenderis, he was apparently involved in other 'hot' cases at the time as well. However, not reputed to be among the 'best boys' around himself.

Second, the motorcycle the two sprinters rode in that accident belonged to their coach Christos Tzekos while, on the other hand, Kenderis was also late Socratis Giolias's best man as concerns that "close relationship with the two sprinters".

I knew Socratis since his 16 and we're good friends with his family, he was an (international U20) race walker and helped him as interpreter in his early days as sports journalist. None of us know what he got involved himself into to suffer such an end, which was very controversially branded "a terrorist attack" by the police. He was effectively executed mafia-style as he was shot some 17 times with shotguns from three different directions around him.

His youngest brother, Pericles, is the husband and coach of two-times 1500m Olympian Konstantina Efentaki (4:05.65).

Comment

Maybe nothing can stop her getting the Olympic gold but at least she's been proven a liar.

“The court finds that this accident never occurred,” presiding judge Dimitris Lefkos :mrgreen:

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_ar ... 011_390368

I never thought we'd see the day when this came to court. Shame the sentence is suspended but it's better than nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X