X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mump boy
    replied
    Re: Thanou gets Olympic gold.

It reminds me of a case i read about a while ago where this guy murdered his mother in law and the wife got all her mums money. then when the man was released his wife died and left him all the money :shock: :? something like that anyway

i'll go look it up

http://msnbc.newsvine.com/_question/201 ... tims-money

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

Originally posted by mump boy
    there is no right answer to this mess but making lying cheats like Thanou Olympic gold medalists is the worst possible resolution
    Gotta agree. What is "technically" appropriate here is just wildly WRONG on pretty much every other level. If that gold medal is genuinely "deserved" then we have to admit that it actually isn't worth a thing.

Leave a comment:

• mump boy
    replied

Originally posted by 7-sided
    If this was solely about "awarding" medals due to "bringing the games into disrepute" (as opposed to athletes actually earning them respective of order in which they crossed the finish line), then why does the campaign stop at Thanou? Assuming that this has to do with what happened in Greece (which we all know was 4 years AFTER Sydney) with the motorbike, then why is she the only one being persecuted? And, if the IOC is going to rewrite history, then why do they honor East German world record holders (as do some posters...)? Certainly, there is as much damning information about them (DDR WR holders)... But, the news now is that the IOC hasn't given her the medal which will only make people ask why. More bad publicity.

She withdrew in 2004; the IOC banned her in 2008 - after she had already made her country's Olympic team... Enough already! Give her the gold medal from 2000 and lets move forward.
    none of us are advocating retroactivley taking medals off people but that doesn't mean that medals should be handed out to known drug cheats at a later date.

there is no right answer to this mess but making lying cheats like Thanou Olympic gold medalists is the worst possible resolution

Leave a comment:

• lsabre
    replied

I actually mixed up 1994 with 2004 as concerns her 4th place at the U20 Worlds, maybe misled by the reference above to the motorcycle incident right on the eve of the Olympic Games in Athens in 2004. The rest of the dates are correct. She kept training even after Athens and into early 2005 before she returned to full training towards the second half of 2006 ahead of the oncoming indoor season, where she competed at the European Indoor champs in Birmingham 2007.

Leave a comment:

• 7-sided
    replied

Isabre, you're a frequent poster...but I haven't a clue what you are writing about! Thanou under 20 in 2004? Do you mean 1994 (I don't have the time to look it up)? I mean ALL of your dates don't cooincide with her career. Please clean up your post.

**just looked it up and it appears that you may have adjusted all of your dates a full 10 years. That said, agreed, Thanou was/is talented.

Leave a comment:

• lsabre
    replied

I don't consider Thanou anywhere near as talented as Marion Jones, as most of the sprinters I've seen, but I can assure you she was talented and training hard. She was 4th in the 100m at the World U20s in Lisboa in 1994 for starters while I used to see her train almost every day as I was training at the same facility she used as her base between 2003-2005.

In fact, she was back in some electrifying form around early winter 2006 into 2007 - can't recall the time she clocked in a time trial over 60m but she was scorching through. Probably got injured at some point because she looked quite sluggish and nowhere near that form later at the European Indoor champs in Birmingham 2007.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied

Originally posted by 7-sided
    If this was solely about "awarding" medals due to "bringing the games into disrepute" (as opposed to athletes actually earning them respective of order in which they crossed the finish line), then why does the campaign stop at Thanou? Assuming that this has to do with what happened in Greece (which we all know was 4 years AFTER Sydney) with the motorbike, then why is she the only one being persecuted? And, if the IOC is going to rewrite history, then why do they honor East German world record holders (as do some posters...)? Certainly, there is as much damning information about them (DDR WR holders)... But, the news now is that the IOC hasn't given her the medal which will only make people ask why. More bad publicity.

She withdrew in 2004; the IOC banned her in 2008 - after she had already made her country's Olympic team... Enough already! Give her the gold medal from 2000 and lets move forward.
    Different situation, this is a case where they are handing a drug-adjusting medal to another athlete that is essentially considered a drugged athlete that did it in such an egregious manner that it was really bad for the image of the games and the pageantry of those Games. If I am the IOC guy in charge, I use as many roadblocks as possible to derail or delay such an occurrence. Thanou is both more unrepentant than MJ and less talented and probably did not train as hard. Whats to like...

[The DDR situation is entirely different]

Leave a comment:

• 7-sided
    replied

Leave a comment:

• lsabre
    replied

Well, contrary to earlier reports, the International Olympic Committie have come out to assert that Aikaterini Thanou hasn't got hold of the 100m gold medal stripped from Marion Jones:

http://insidethegames.biz/sports/sum...dal-insist-ioc

Leave a comment:

• lsabre
    replied

The fact is that since the gold medal was left without an owner, following Marion Jones being scratched, Thanou had to be awarded that on the grounds of being the silver medallist. Apart from speculation, there is nothing substantial that weighs against her over her performance in Sydney. So there was no other way than award the medal to her. Simple things, there has got to be a winner in every single athletics competition.

Leave a comment:

• Flumpy
    replied

That is what they said (And quite rightly so) but presumeably there have been further developments that we're not aware of.

Leave a comment:

• mump boy
    replied

Why is it not possible to just say, that athletes who bring the OG into disrepute will not be awarded medals ?

Leave a comment:

• Flumpy
    replied

Whether she deserves it or not is irrelevant I was simply stating the position that th IOC should take on the situation. Obviously they don't think she deserves it or she would have been awarded the medal years ago. By saying this they could salvage some dignity and at least have public opinion on side. By trying to cover it up (If that is what they have been doing) they will get negative publicity which could have been avoided.

Leave a comment:

• 7-sided
    replied

Originally posted by Flumpy
    she doesn't deserve it but they have no choice but to hand it over.
    Though I agree with you that the IOC are asses for "making news" (the negative kind) out of this, I completely disagree with you that she doesn't deserve it. You are wrong. She deserves that gold medal until there is proof otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• Flumpy
    replied

The IOC are insisting that she hasn't been given the medal..........

http://insidethegames.biz/sports/summer ... insist-ioc

But if she has I don't understand why the IOC would be keeping quiet about it. They should be telling the whole world that they don't want her to have it, she doesn't deserve it but they have no choice but to hand it over.

Trying to hush it up is a ridiculous plan that can only backfire.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X