Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strangest Named Events

It's not the events themselves that are so strange--it's how they are listed.

Take a look at Events #36 and 37 at the Mt. SAC Relays. They are relay events for Community College teams and they are called the Women's 4x1760 Yard Relay and the Men's 4x1760 Yard Relay.

There must be an explanation for why they would do this, but I can't imagine what that could be, unless it's some kind of joke.

Re: Strangest Named Events

4X440=1760
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

>4X440=1760

I think he is wondering why it isn't called 4 by 1 mile.

Comment

>I think he is wondering why it isn't called 4 by 1 mile.<

Yup.

Comment

The logical thing to do would have been to call it the 4 x 1609.44 metre relay.

Comment

I was actually wondering if perhaps they were making a very subtle statement that metric measurement is OK because nobody knows what Imperial measurements mean either. I mean, stop 100 strangers on the street--or coming out of a football stadium--and ask them how many yards there are in a mile. How many would know?

Comment

>The logical thing to do would have been to call it the 4 x 1609.44 metre relay.

Personally, I think calling it 4 x 1609.344m relay would be more logical, since that is 1760 yards.

Comment

>I was actually wondering if perhaps they were making a very subtle statement
                >that metric measurement is OK because nobody knows what Imperial measurements
                >mean either.

If they are, perhaps they should have focussed a tad more on their website than trying to make subtle statements about imperial vs metric. I doubt that is what they were doing however.

Comment

Comment

You'll note the FSPs that frequent this board left it uncommented upon last year:

http://relays.mtsac.edu/2003/index.htm

But note that it was a 4x1500 meters in 2002.

I figure that the webmeister just isn't a track type and, when the event got changed, someone just made a unilateral labelling decision that didn't make any sense except to him or her.

Comment

>It's not the events themselves that are so strange--it's how they are
                      >listed.

Take a look at Events #36 and 37 at the Mt. SAC Relays. They are
                      >relay events for Community College teams and they are called the Women's 4x1760
                      >Yard Relay and the Men's 4x1760 Yard Relay.

There must be an explanation for
                      >why they would do this, but I can't imagine what that could be, unless it's
                      >some kind of joke.

Yeah, boy what a toughie to figure out.

Comment

On the subject of metric conversions: I once read a newspaper account of an 800 meter race in Europe that had obviously been translated very ungracefully...instead of saying the runner had won by 2 meters, it said he had won by six feet six and 3/4 inches!

On the subject of odd relays, can anyone top this? A coaching friend swears he took his team to a high school relay event in Southern California a few weeks ago where they held an 8X100meters relay event. Staggered lane start, one lap in lanes with standard passing zones, then break for the pole and another lap jockeying for passing position in the lane one zones. He said it was breathtaking... escpecially since a lot of runners were young kids who had never run a relay before.

Comment

Working...
                        X