Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Webb Update?

I looked at the standards on the usatf site and I don't believe he's met them yet.

Comment

In 2001, Ryan Hall ran the equivelant of 4:00 for the mile and he qualified for nationals.

AS for Webb's performances so far this season... obviously he's not in 3:53 shape yet, but it's too early to write him off like some of you are. Remeber that by this point in the 2001 season he had not run any faster than he has as of yet this season... and I would venture to guess that he isn't planning on peaking in May this time around

Comment

But in '01 he was winning, granted against high school kids but he was winning and winning very impressively at every distance from 800 - 3200. He was also showing great finishing speed. Does anyone have the splits from Friday's Atlanta meet? I'd like to see what the last 400 was.

I'm far from writing him off but thought that he would be performing a little better by this time of the year. He doesn't seem to be improving over where he was several months ago indoors.

Comment

here's the qualifying standards...

http://www.usatf.org/events/2003/USAOut ... ards.shtml

I don't believe Webb has quite met them

Comment

He has the b standard in the mile.

Comment

We'll see at Pre.
              http://www.preclassic.com/bowerman_mile ... nchor-WEBB

Comment

Great link. Wouldn't it be ironic if a high schooler beats him?

Comment

informed sources have webb being the guy who'll pace magness and mcgrath to sub fours....

...well we can have a sense of humor can't we...

back to webb meeting the B standard...

I'm NOT quite sure what the B standard means at nationals...

If 24 guys meet the A standard, then isn't the B standard irrelevant?? I know 24 haven't met the A standard..

anyway, any help on this matter would be appreciated by me.

Comment

Since they extended the qualifying period, Webb's 3:41 endeavour last year should qualify him.

Comment

Last Friday Webb looked a little flat but he did a lot of work in the race once he saw the pace was slow. Leaders were through 400 ~61 and 800 2:04-5.

Comment

>Last Friday Webb looked a little flat but he did
                        >a lot of work in the race once he saw the pace
                        >was slow. Leaders were through 400 ~61 and 800
                        >2:04-5.

So did he lead? If so, when?

It appears he is using these races as time trial workouts. However, it would seem of more value to build confidence again by hanging and kicking. The times are relatively slow anyway. Why not try to blaze the last 2-300m.? Maybe put the win with a good finish as a priority rather than leading early to try to run a time that is irrelavant?

It easy to armchair quarterback. I hope they are on schedule and he's just doing strength work now with speed working coming soon. But, it's going to have to be one hell of a peak if he's going to get back to where he was in '01. Then again he had one hell of a peak in '01...time will tell.

Comment

Mahoney led most of the race (early and then late) but Webb was in front for the toughest part- 800-~1250. As I said before, he looked flat when Mahoney passed him. Just didn't have the pop. Neither did Wilson really, he just had more than Webb.

Comment

>Mahoney led most of the race (early and then
                            >late) but Webb was in front for the toughest
                            >part- 800-~1250. As I said before, he looked
                            >flat when Mahoney passed him. Just didn't have
                            >the pop. Neither did Wilson really, he just had
                            >more than Webb.

For some reason that's been the way he's been racing lately. He always takes the lead early, terrible strategy if he's going for the win especially if he has the speed he did in '01.

I'm wondering if this is by design - to keep the workload high, as in a time trial with little concern about the victory. Or, if he is lacking confidence in his finish so he's trying to run the legs off of the others. I hope its the former - he's just trying to get in a good workout and the loss is not a concern to him at this stage with more speedwork to come later.

Comment

I'd think if Webb is focusing on Paris, he's still transitioning from base training towards speed work.

Cyril, we'll get the answer to your question by the time nationals conclude.

Comment

I'm wondering
                                >if this is by design - to keep the workload high,
                                >as in a time trial with little concern about the
                                >victory.

There's another guy who trained like that going into his first international championship. His name was Peter Snell. I am not, however, ready to draw any other parallels between the two or their coaches.

Only in America do we require our distance runners to be at a high level so early in the season. The USATF meet should be in July, during the GP break.

Comment

Working...
                                X