• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    MJD

• MJD
    replied
    Re: London Marathon

jeez, why didn't the
    >field curl up & die when she lined up !!!

My guess is that it wasn't a shock to any of her contemporary Brit runners-at least it shouldn't have been.

Leave a comment:

• MJD

• MJD
    replied

>She's definitely not a Priscilla Welch... at least not yet. For those who don't
    >remember her - Welch was a British women who started running competitively at
    >34 and ended up winning the NYC Marathon at 42 and running a PB of 2:26. Which
    >goes to show a late start isn't an impossible barrier.

Some one will have to tell me if Welch ran when she was a junior. I can't remember. If not, they are 2 completely different set of circumstances.

Leave a comment:

• Powell

• Powell
    replied

She's definitely not a Priscilla Welch... at least not yet. For those who don't remember her - Welch was a British women who started running competitively at 34 and ended up winning the NYC Marathon at 42 and running a PB of 2:26. Which goes to show a late start isn't an impossible barrier.

Leave a comment:

• eldrick

• eldrick
    replied

>2004: Won the
    >the Helsby half-marathon, the York half-marathon, the Pocklington 10 miles
    >race, the Hull 19.4 miles race, the
    Wakefield 10 kilometres and the
    >Salford 10 kilometres<

WBO IBF WBA WBC

168 175 190 240

US Masters US Open British Open USPGA

jeez, why didn't the field curl up & die when she lined up !!!

Leave a comment:

• marknhj

• marknhj
    replied

>IAAF Board definitely had a better pissing match on Tracey Morris than we did
    >:-)"

I could always add a post to the Norris McWhirter thread if you want us to have a first rate pissing contest!

Leave a comment:

• MJD

• MJD
    replied

>I was half expecting it to restart the "you're more parochial than I am"
    >argument!

I glossed over all of those posts. No point in complaining about parochialism. All you have to do is be parochial right back.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    Administrator

• gh
    replied

I was half expecting it to restart the "you're more parochial than I am" argument!

Leave a comment:

• MJD

• MJD
    replied

>IAAF Board definitely had a better pissing match on Tracey Morris than we did
    >:-)

At the risk of starting this up again, there really isn't much more to be said on the matter once you actually learn a bit about her background. No biggie although I notice a few people over there kept calling her a fun runner even after getting the facts spelled out for them. One can do a lot in 18 months, even from a standing(or sitting) start, which this woman clearly wasn't coming from.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    Administrator

• gh
    replied

IAAF Board definitely had a better pissing match on Tracey Morris than we did :-)

http://www.iaaf.org/community/forums/Li ... icID=16140

Leave a comment:

• Asterix

• Asterix
    replied

> I like you messages ,and I like track. you are haveing really pretty colours in the
    >title.

Hey, has AH Khadra resurfaced with a new non-de-plume?
    http://65.110.36.121/tfn/discussion/vie ... sage=36900

Leave a comment:

• MJD

• MJD
    replied

Not to downplay
    >her performance,

Yeah, we sure wouldn't want to downplay a 2:33:52:-).

Leave a comment:

• Chucky

• Chucky
    replied

Please ,I am to haveing troubles at the keep up ,and it is hard to know if you like the girl time she is running. in the marathon you know. I am having faster times in the 10 kilometers raceing ,and that is too good for me also. 31m 2s is my open time not being run around the track but on the roads in Cicily. I like you messages ,and I like track. you are haveing really pretty colours in the title.

Leave a comment:

• Asterix

• Asterix
    replied

>Well, Realist, we could do that math this way: A sprinter runs her first race
    >and runs 17.06 In her second race she runs 11.92.

Not to downplay her performance, but her big marathon run might be compared with Geb's "debut". He ran well over 2:40 years ago, but his races at lesser distances in the years since indicated he could pop a good one. Similarly, from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/3637155.stm

"In November 2003, she entered a 10km race in Flint, not realising beforehand that it was the Welsh championships - and won the event.

Following that victory, she raced as part of Wales' cross-country team in Cardiff the same month and in a 10km race for Wales in Leeds in December."

Leave a comment:

• MJD

• MJD
    replied

Sorry to rain on everyone's parade but this isn't really that big of a deal. Completely with Realist here. We're back to the whole thing about finishing a marathon being such a big thing. Her 3:39 meant nothing and was a predictor of nothing. I realize that is a shock to those that figure a 4 hour marathon actually means something. Anyone who was actually paying attention would have read what I have duplicated below and not been that surprised. She represented her country as a junior too and that isn't mentioned. Took up running again 9 years ago and her 10 mile and 10km times predicted 2:37 to 2:39. Good for her making an Olympic team but the focus maybe should be on the woulda shoulda coulda if she never would have packed it in.

"Tracey Morris Factfile

Mon 19 Apr, 7:09 PM

1967: Born September 9 in Anglesey, Wales.

Lives: Leeds, married.

Club: Valley Striders, West Yorkshire.

Occupation: Full-time contact lens optician at Dollond and Aitchison in Leeds.

Personal bests: 10 kilometres - 33:41

10 miles 56:39

Coach: Steve O'Callaghan

Ran for Welsh Schools at the age of 17 but then spent 10 years away from athletics before starting to run again to keep fit.

1999: Competing as a fun runner raising charity money for the blind, she completed the London Marathon in a time of 3:39.

2003: Finished 13th in the BUPA Great North Run.

2004: Won the Helsby half-marathon, the York half-marathon, the Pocklington 10 miles race, the Hull 19.4 miles race, the
    Wakefield 10 kilometres and the Salford 10 kilometres.

Morris was first female British athlete home in 2:33:52 (the fastest time by a Briton in 2004) at the Flora London Marathon in her
    first marathon since taking up athletics seriously 18 months ago."

Leave a comment:

• Chucky

• Chucky
    replied

I no to good in math and faled math ,in the school unirversity. You have no time 11,seconds is not fast. I run marathons in longer times ,but she has headlies when you giving her credit to 11,seconds?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X