Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for result of 1976 Men 10,000 meters Olympic Trials

Hello,

I would appreciate anyone posting the result of the men's 10K trials in 1976. I know that Frank Shorter won & Bjorklund finished third. A friend of mine had Craig Virgin in second but I have not been able to find any source on the Internet to confirm this.

Thanks for your help.

Tuan Nguyen

Re: Looking for result of 1976 Men 10,000 meters Olympic Tri

Yes, Shorter, Virgin, Bjorklund, in that order, with Bill Rodgers 4th.

Comment

Ed Mendoza

Comment

scratch that, as I just saw that Mendoza ran in the Games, but was 5th in the trials.

Comment

Thanks malmo; brings back a lot of memories. Any chance that you have a link to these results on the web?

Comment

>Thanks malmo; brings back a lot of memories. Any chance that you have a link
            >to these results on the web?

Nah. I picked that one up somewhere along the way in cyberspace and saved it.

>>>more obligatory nefarious editing for the conspiracy crowd.<<<<

Comment

Where Malmo picked up the OT results he used was from my 1996 book. It might be polite for him to ask permission in future

Comment

As a corollary to my last message I'll be notifying the US federation. They may want to get in touch with Malmo

Comment

Out of curiosity, how can you tell the results were taken from your book and not, say, from an old issue of T&FN ?
                  Then again, even if he did, results are not copyrightable. You must have taken them from somewhere as well... I don't suppose you paid for the right to use them ?
                  Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

The results themselves are not subject to copyright protection, but the formatting of them and other editorial elements are. I think there's enough distinctive content in what Malmo copied to justify the complaint.

Comment

>>>>Where Malmo picked up the OT results he used was from my 1996 book. It might be polite for him to ask permission in future

I do not own, nor have I ever owned, read, borrowed or otherwise ever seen or come in possession with an unnamed book claimed to be written on or about 1996, by an anonymous internet troll who calls himself "rhymans," a person of etheric legal standing.

Request for unearned attribution denied.

All rulings by the arbitration committee are final.

>>>>>As a corollary to my last message I'll be notifying the US federation. They may want to get in touch with Malmo

The US Federation will have to wait. Considering the gravity of the situation, the FBI, CIA, Interpol and Homeland Security have already responded.

You'd have better luck amending my grade school "permanent record." You can file your report right below the item marked "peeped after teacher requested 'not one more peep out of you, malmo.'" Let me tell you something, Mister. You're dealing with a guy who runs with scissors, swims immediately after eating, and cuts the labels off of mattresses. Danger is my middle name.

Standard obligatory nefarious editing disclaimer in force.

Comment

>As a corollary to my last message I'll be notifying the US federation.

What are they going to do about it anyway? Suspend him?

Comment

Rhymans.... Get a life!

You are actually upset that Malmo posted for results of Olympic trials races for the education and enjoyment of the readers of this message board???? How mean if you are! Get real! Its not like you did the performances yourself or have a legal contract that states you are the only one to be able to display the results of the Oly trials. The same information is available in many places so why worry about your precious format. It is not essentially different that that of hundreds of other results formats.

Malmo, thanks for the info and "living on the edge", it was great and brought back tons of memories and names I haven't thought about for a while.

Also interesting to note that we haven't gotten any faster in the US (at least in the trials) since 1976 (and that was with Liquori hurt).

Also interesting was to look at the number of athletes that doubled in both the 5k and 10k at the trials. Definately more than currently do.

Comment

Just because I'm a nice guy--not doing an IAAF and saying, if it came from you you're guilty--I'll accept Malmo's excuse that he "picked them up in cyberspace somewhere," but the results have been yanked because they were indeed a cut-and-paste of copyrighted material by Richard Hymans. There are few sins more egregious on this board than intellectual theft.

No, one cannot copyright results. But one can copyright the act of collecting and formatting them. And the direct duplication of them is not permitted, period. If you want to take the time to find them and retype, please feel free. Or give an URL, since as one of you claimed "they are available elsewhere."

Richard spent hundreds (if not thousands) of hours putting that book together, and to simply reproduce them without permission or credit is not only a copyright violation, it's plain and simple theft, no different than my walking into your house and walking off with something I like. Please don't do it.

e. garry hill
                            editor/T&FN

Comment

Are you implying that Malmo somehow got hold of Richard Hymans's book in electronic format ? Otherwise, he would have indeed had to retype them, which, as you suggested, is not a copyright violation.
                              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Working...
                              X