Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Texas Relays

Did anyone get an official split for JW"s leg. He crushed the other anchor legs.

Comment

I tried to get an approximate split -- it seemed like just under 45.

Comment

It sounds like Sanya did not run the relay. Does anyone know why not?

Comment

Originally posted by guru
          Originally posted by no one
          Sveinsson:

So is there a story here? ...

My understanding is she's hurt(again).

frustrating for sure - she is a big big talent - perhaps on the brink of super stardom when a frosh

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown
            Crowd was definitely down this year...probably 15-16K. I guess the lack of high schools definitely hurt.

I'm sure the current gas prices didn't help either.
            And let's not forget the heat. Absolutely, brutal. I have never seen so many people passing out (in the stands, on the track, underneath the stands). I have been going regularly since '84 and can not recall it being so unbearable. There were no clouds to help out :lol:

Comment

Unbearable?

Really?

I've been going since the meet used to be held in the football stadium and there have been plenty of warmer Texas Relays than the 2011 edition.

We may have hit 93 or 95 on Saturday.

There have been years when we were looking at 102, extremely muggy and no wind. At least there was a nice, cool breeze all weekend this time around.

Comment

Canada's Jared Connaughton posted a 10.04w (3.8) to win the men's 100m invitational. Although both his recent races have been wind-aided, you can't deny those are pretty impressive times.

Comment

Originally posted by lilwayne1814
                  Originally posted by Cooter Brown
                  Crowd was definitely down this year...probably 15-16K. I guess the lack of high schools definitely hurt.

I'm sure the current gas prices didn't help either.
                  And let's not forget the heat. Absolutely, brutal. I have never seen so many people passing out (in the stands, on the track, underneath the stands). I have been going regularly since '84 and can not recall it being so unbearable. There were no clouds to help out :lol:
                  Hmmmm??? I was on the field all day Friday and Saturday. The temp was only about 97 F max and with the constant wind I did not even notice the heat... If you go all four days you are apt to experience all four seasons. I can remember 105 F days (interspersed with 40F/sleet/rain/tornado days)..

Comment

My sentiments exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by texas_speed
                      Unbearable?

Really?

I've been going since the meet used to be held in the football stadium and there have been plenty of warmer Texas Relays than the 2011 edition.

There have been years when we were looking at 102, extremely muggy and no wind. At least there was a nice, cool breeze all weekend this time around.

Agreed! The only time Texas Relays got a little weird to me is the year it turned extremely cold that Saturday, which they canceled many events.

Comment

Any splits for the 4x400's, but women & men?

Comment

Originally posted by TxHottrack
                          Unbearable?

Really?

Agreed! The only time Texas Relays got a little weird to me is the year it turned extremely cold that Saturday, which they canceled many events.
                          Yep, that was possibly the worst day in Texas Relays history.. officials sat in the rain for the prescribed one hour "warm-up" period.. only three TJers showed up.. one said screw this and left immediately without taking a jump... the jumper from Arkansas State (?) saw a chance for a medal, took one jump and left.. the jumper from MInnesota, describing the weather as "just a spring day in Minnesota" took all six jumps..

Comment

And let's not forget the heat. Absolutely, brutal. I have never seen so many people passing out (in the stands, on the track, underneath the stands). I have been going regularly since '84 and can not recall it being so unbearable. There were no clouds to help out :lol:[/quote]
                            Hmmmm??? I was on the field all day Friday and Saturday. The temp was only about 97 F max and with the constant wind I did not even notice the heat... If you go all four days you are apt to experience all four seasons. I can remember 105 F days (interspersed with 40F/sleet/rain/tornado days)..[/quote]

Guys/Gals, I'm not comparing it too the alltime hottest temps or any of the sort...I'm just saying it was awfully hot, which was obvious by the number of time paramedics were in and out of the stands. Also, I agree that was some meets a few years back when the temps were shorts and tanks on Friday, then coats and blankets on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                              Originally posted by TxHottrack
                              Unbearable?

Really?

Yep, that was possibly the worst day in Texas Relays history.. officials sat in the rain for the prescribed one hour "warm-up" period.. only three TJers showed up.. one said screw this and left immediately without taking a jump... the jumper from Arkansas State (?) saw a chance for a medal, took one jump and left.. the jumper from MInnesota, describing the weather as "just a spring day in Minnesota" took all six jumps..

the jumper from MInnesota, describing the weather as "just a spring day in Minnesota" took all six jumps..[/quote]

:lol:

Comment

Unbearable?

Really?

As of Saturday, I do not think we have hit the 70s since maybe October. 95 is not hot, it would be UNBEARABLE to be in for 8 hours.

Comment

Working...
                                X