Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10k at 2004 US Trials

My question to the board is:

Which of the top US 10k runners have indicated their expectation to be competing in the 10k at the US Olympic Trials this summer?

I ask this as several of the top guys (Culpepper, Meb and Browne) have earned spots on the marathon team and others may be opting for the 5k instead.

Although I have been critical of US 10k efforts in the past I am at lease encouraged by the fact that we had 4 runners under 28:00 last year and a additional 12 under 28:30 (data taken form this website: http://65.110.36.121/lists/2003/us_out_m.html - Thanks Dan!!!)

Before responding please make sure as to not illegally steal your answers and if you do take it from someone please given them credit and promise to give it back to them when you are done.

Re: 10k at 2004 US Trials

From interviews after the Marathon Trials, Meb and Browne have not decided what their olympic event will be. So, I assume they will be running the 10K at the trials to keep their options open.

Comment

Too bad it could not be Keflezighi, Culpepper, Browne, Abdirahman, Kennedy, Donnelly. That would be an OT race to see if they were all fit and wanted to make the team. Maybe Goucher could get healthy and move up to 10K.

I know that the sport has become more and more event specialized, but if memory serves, Shorter ran the 10K (with a prelim?) and placed 6th with a sub 28 in '72 before winning the marathon. Do Keflezighi, Culpepper, Browne have the stuff? Or would that just be stupid in today's more competetive world? Hope they'll run the trials either way. It would make a higher quality race.
      In the sun with a popsicle, everthing is possible

Comment

The 10K is easily the America's best distance event.
        3 American's where in the 10k finals in Paris last summer. It is the only event that we have any depth in.

Comment

It's easy to put three in the final when there are no heats: there were 19 finishers and the Americans finished 14th, 16th and 19th. Good pack running :-)

Won't predict three in the Athens final (even without heats) until we get a third under A-standard though, 27:49.0.

Comment

Why did England only have one 10k runner in the Paris finals. Maybe the other English runners did not have the qualifying time to get to Paris.

The 1500 should be the main concern for the US.
            Your magazine already illustrated these concerns in the January issue.

Hmmm, where is Webb, it is already mid April.
            Better yet where is Grant Robison!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Hmmm, where is Webb, it is already mid
                  >April.

No, it is ONLY mid April.

Comment

i had previously posted, i think it would be interesting for khanouchi to run the 10k trials, no idea if he will, he does not even have a qualifier for the trials yet, although for him that would be fairly easy.

Comment

And as I posted at the time:

"I don't think KK has ever done a 10k on the Track at least his website doesn't list a 10k track PR. It also doesn't look like he has done a track race since 1995 or 1996. Most of his shorter distance PR's are from 1995 - 1999. He has not run a sub 28 min 10k since 2000.

Given the speed at which the 10k is being run today I'm not sure he is willing to try his luck at the 10k in Athens.

Although I do agree with the idea that some 10k work this summer may help his fall marathon efforts. Be he is a far better judge of that then I."

Having said that, as a fan I'd like to see him give it a try.

Comment

>Hmmm, where is Webb, it is already mid
                        >April.

No, it is ONLY mid April.
                        >

Thanks for reminding us to be long-term thinkers! With regard to Webb, a poster sent us a link to Penn, where Webb is entered in a 5 and mile respectively. I am inclined to believe Webb is preparing his legs for rounds, and will know what - if anything - he will need to improve or train after his mile race.

Comment

Epelle-

It will be interesting to see if he actually runs both. If he does, you're probably right - getting ready for rounds while also further building strength. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see him pull out of the 5. Since this is his first race in quite some time it would be psychologically important for him to have a solid mile effort (3:56-58) rather than a "hall-like" 13:45ish/low 4).

Personally I'd like to see him run an 8/15 double - I think that would be better prep. than the 5/15.

By the way, no Krum? Why? Because he's playing it smart - thinking Athens. What is El G. doing? How about Geb? It is only April.

Comment

Working...
                          X