• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LopenUupunut
    • Aug 2007
    • Sleeping in Finland

Re: Fantasy Athletics competitions for 2011

Originally posted by Jnathletics
    So, with no Meet Records. How many will have a perfect 90?

Love to see the organizers' reaction if they didn't think of a tie-breaker or this happening.
    I'm hoping the perfect is higher than that

In previous years they've generally just picked someone at random; the way things are going this year, they might well do nothing and let all the people with perfect scores assume that one of the other guys was picked at random. :wink:

Comment

• Jon
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Flumpy
      Oh *&*£"%.

7/8

All going well right up until the last race
      I got 7/8 too. Went out on a limb and chose the youngster David Mutua in the 800m. When he made that move with 300m to go, I got excited and a bit scared. Then when he started to fade with 120m to go, I just got annoyed with him. :evil:

Comment

• LopenUupunut
        • Aug 2007
        • Sleeping in Finland

I was right, apparently - doublers get points for both events. This means 3 teams in our league had the perfect score of 96 (though they don't appear to have official separate Rome results out yet...)

JOAQUÍN CARMONA
        mump boy
        myself

Congrats to us, and to Jnathletics for maintaining his overall lead (ahead of Flumpy, who climbed to 2nd!)

Comment

• donley2
          • Oct 2005
          • North Texas

The lack of clear rules and stupid midnight deadline (euro time) make this game rather frustrating. I had finally concluded I was probably going to swap out Spotakova (after I finally did some research and realized she had not yet competed this year) and put in Chemos but was unable to. I consider the way doublers are scored fine if it had been documented in some rules but rather silly otherwise.

Comment

• Jnathletics
            • Oct 2005
            • In the Mitten

Originally posted by donley2
            The lack of clear rules and stupid midnight deadline (euro time) make this game rather frustrating. I had finally concluded I was probably going to swap out Spotakova (after I finally did some research and realized she had not yet competed this year) and put in Chemos but was unable to. I consider the way doublers are scored fine if it had been documented in some rules but rather silly otherwise.
            But isn't this way more fun? :wink: Having to guess the rules and having them change at any moment brings back those fond memories of childhood playground games. Where rules seemed to change per day by whom had brought the days playing ball. Go play some street basketball and the rules will change per venue or even per day on who brought the ball. :P

Comment

• Daisy
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Jnathletics
              But isn't this way more fun? :wink:
              Says the guy with all the points! :lol:

Comment

• jeremyp
                • Oct 2005
                • Florida

Now it appears that Felix get's points for both events. Question is still open about whether she gets double for captain if you picked 200? Anybody in that position? Mishenko's near collision hurt me, but now we know which Jamal showed up this year.

Comment

• bruce3404
                  • May 2008
                  • Section 221, Row M, on the aisle

Originally posted by jeremyp
                  Now it appears that Felix get's points for both events. Question is still open about whether she gets double for captain if you picked 200? Anybody in that position?
                  Yes, I had her as captain and in the 200 and she was awarded 26 points. Too bad she didn't win both races and set meet records; I could have used the 80 points!

Comment

• Pego
                    • Oct 2005
                    • beyond help

Same thing here.
                    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

• Flumpy
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by LopenUupunut
                      Congrats to us, and to Jnathletics for maintaining his overall lead (ahead of Flumpy, who climbed to 2nd!)
                      WAHOO!!!

I didn't see that coming :mrgreen:

Comment

• mump boy
                        • Oct 2005
                        • saaaaaarf london

Suddenly i like this game

i perfectly understood all the rules all along :P
                        i deserve extra credit

Comment

• jeremyp
                          • Oct 2005
                          • Florida

Originally posted by bruce3404
                          Originally posted by jeremyp
                          Now it appears that Felix get's points for both events. Question is still open about whether she gets double for captain if you picked 200? Anybody in that position?
                          Yes, I had her as captain and in the 200 and she was awarded 26 points. Too bad she didn't win both races and set meet records; I could have used the 80 points!
                          Which makes this competition additionally predictable. Guess who's Captain when Bolt, Gay, Felix, VCB double up? They seem to be making this up as they go along. Way more interesting if an athlete is picked for one event only if they double.

Comment

• Flumpy
                            • Oct 2005

Way more season interesting if we could only pick each athlete once season.

Comment

• trackstar
                              • Oct 2005
                              • Austin, Texas

If they really wanted to make it interesting, they'd set up a true fantasy sports game instead of a "pick 'em" game. Pick a team before the season starts, and then be forced to stick with those athletes all season.

What they really should do is set up something comparable to football and baseball fantasy sites: Allow us to create a league, have the participants engage in a draft, and then have the software chart the results for us.
                              "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

• mump boy
                                • Oct 2005
                                • saaaaaarf london

Originally posted by trackstar
                                If they really wanted to make it interesting, they'd set up a true fantasy sports game instead of a "pick 'em" game. Pick a team before the season starts, and then be forced to stick with those athletes all season.

What they really should do is set up something comparable to football and baseball fantasy sites: Allow us to create a league, have the participants engage in a draft, and then have the software chart the results for us.
                                i played one of them last year, it doesn't work. eg Bolt, Isi, Kenny all barely competed all year and you ended up winning with having people who competed a lot rather than competed well

By the end of the season most people had given up as there was nothing you could do to change the inevitable.

I like the idea of this IAAF game but the implementation is woeful
                                i deserve extra credit

Comment

Working...
                                X