Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What About Marion?

Funny the way nobody seems to want to talk about her outing at Mt SAC. I think she'd be best off putting her eggs in the LJ basket this year, given the good result she obtained indoors with mediocre (for her) speed.

Re: What About Marion?

I attended Mt. SAC this past weekend and I thought Marion looked awful. My first reaction was that she was injured (hamstring), however at the press conference she said she was healthy and just needed more work. I think a lot more work. I'm not sure she'll make the Olympic team in the 100 or the 200.

Comment

Somebody chastised the board with "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". Guess people are taking that to heart.

Comment

I wouldn't write Marion off yet. She's training with Dan Pfaff therefore I'm willing to guess her central nervous system is pretty shot. Tim's performance also suggests this. Don't know if Kareem ran this weekend but if he did, and didn't run well, then I'm pretty sure this is the case.

Let's see how she performs next month before we dump her from the team.

Comment

She's training with Dan Pfaff therefore I'm
          >willing to guess her central nervous system is pretty shot.

Would you mind explaining to those of us not in the sprint fraternity what you mean by this?

Comment

Working extremely hard when in a fatigued state to get the body to function more efficiently when tiring later in high energy events like the 100m. The body learns to regulate energy expenditures and you decelerate less. Early season workouts can be a beatch while the body is adapting to this type of training. Racing will be "off" until the adaptation occurs.

Comment

I'm no expert, but I do know that Dan's system really challenges the nervous system. His athletes are asked to do a lot of high quality sprinting and ballistic work for a 2-3 week cycle (with very little down time). He does provide them with a down week but you're pretty shot by the end of it. It's a very challenging program but the results speak for themselves (if you survive that is): Donovan Bailey 9.84, Bruny Surin 9.84, Obadele Thompson 9.87 etc.

Comment

Ok. Thanks for the answers. It's a fancy way of saying that you are training your ass off.

Comment

I also think we should take into consideration the circumstances of maternity leave on performance. No matter how much Marion trained through or how early she returned after delivery, it seems to take a certain amount of time back in competition before the muscles start firing the way the used too. I think of Eveyln Ashford's 1986 season and also Gwen Torrance in 91. Both started the season as shadows of thier former selves and ended at the top of the world rankings. If she's still not moving by June maybe she's out of the game, but let's give her a bit of time before we write her off. (I do think she may not be 4X4 material this year and that just about finishes any chance we have a competing with the Russians)

Comment

>I'm no expert, but I do know that Dan's system really challenges the nervous
                    >system. His athletes are asked to do a lot of high quality sprinting and
                    >ballistic work for a 2-3 week cycle (with very little down time). He does
                    >provide them with a down week but you're pretty shot by the end of it. It's a
                    >very challenging program but the results speak for themselves (if you survive
                    >that is): Donovan Bailey 9.84, Bruny Surin 9.84, Obadele Thompson 9.87 etc.

Hmmm. Presumably Pfaff knows the short-run impact of such workouts on his athletes. So why run his star if he knows that she's unlikely to do well, given her workouts?

Comment

Hmmm. Presumably Pfaff knows the short-run impact of such workouts
                      >on his athletes. So why run his star if he knows that she's unlikely to do
                      >well, given her workouts?

why not? you're talking about someone who hasn't had too much race exposure in the last year. she's rusty. she needs to get out there and just tough it out with the other mortals to get hungry again and know where she's at in comparison to her competition.

Comment

Let's approach this from a different (and hopefully more rational) angle: it's frelling April!

The setup of the U.S. season demands that Marion make some public appearances at this point. Anybody care to guess what kind of racing shape Block, Hurtis, Arron et al, are in? It's totally irrelevant how Marion looks now.

Comment

EXACTLY!

Comment

>Let's approach this from a different (and hopefully more rational) angle: it's
                            >frelling April!

The setup of the U.S. season demands that Marion make some
                            >public appearances at this point. Anybody care to guess what kind of racing
                            >shape Block, Hurtis, Arron et al, are in? It's totally irrelevant how Marion
                            >looks now.

Another rational angle is to say, "One of my athlete's biggest assets is her aura of invincibility. Whatever money is involved, whatever others may think is in the best interests of the sport, I'm not going to put her in a position of losing that aura."

Now, Marion seems to have a tough psyche, so maybe early season losses make little difference. But the strategy of picking your races carefully and whupping up on the opposition whenever you race has been successfully employed by many athletes . . .

Comment

>Let's approach this from a different (and >hopefully more rational) angle: it's frelling April!

>The setup of the U.S. season demands that Marion make some public appearances at this point. Anybody care to guess what kind of racing shape Block, Hurtis, Arron et al, are in? It's totally irrelevant how Marion looks now.

I think that Marion will be in the mix with everybody else.
                              I don't think that just because what month it is that you're suppose to be in an medicore/slow/developing racing shape... if so Explain why Gail Devers was undefeated this year in the 60 meter dash.. she beat Christie Gaines, Christine Aaron, M.. Hurits, Torri Edwards, and the person who beat Marion in the 60 this season Kim G......along with everybody else..and If Gail would of decided to run when Marion made her debut she would of beat Marion also. all that without a Coach... and 37 years young.... last year Gail was in the mix in the 100meters but really didn't prove her self at the Worlds but this year I think that she will be one of the ones to watch along with Kellie White If she returns...She is the best in the 60 meters, so all Gail has to do is work on the other 40 meters...I'll put my money on Gail Devers this year to upset everybody...

Comment

Working...
                              X