X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Phillips
    replied
    Re: High Jump - memo to "marknhj"

Marknhj: FYI, you can credit yourself with 2.25m, as long as the bar was measured prior to the jump. Any measurement taken subsequent to the jump is really irrelevant. Both the NCAA and HS rule books state that the measurement of the height of the crossbar shall be taken BEFORE each record attempt. So cross-off that 2.2475 bs and give yourself 2.25 (7-4 1/2).

Leave a comment:

• mike renfro
    replied
    Re: High Jump

Diego, good picks!

Leave a comment:

• Diego Sahagún
    replied

Holm and Slesarenko

Leave a comment:

• mike renfro
    replied

Well, some changes since the April posting. Holm still looks good for gold, but Freitag got off his death bed and has jumped fairly well.

On the women's side, Cloete has also come back from injury, but, alas, Bervquist is probably done for the year. Vlasic is progressing, and the jumpers from the former SU, Russians, Ukranians and Byelorussians, oh my. I think the women's HJ will be among the most competitive events at Athinai and the winning height may well be pretty high. (2.05ish).

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    replied

>With your recent record he's doomed then!

Stop! I'll get a bad reputation and then no-one will want me to do a site for them!!

Leave a comment:

• marknhj
    replied

(Mark - Shhhh!!!) :-P

With your recent record he's doomed then!

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    replied

>The best US jumper is clearly Nieto. He can medal.

He's launched an official site:

http://www.jamienieto.com

(Mark - Shhhh!!!) :-P

Leave a comment:

• Dietmar239
    replied

That's interesting that you would say that about Manson because after seeing him jump, I thought the same thing. He has a lot of potential (in fact tons), but I really wonder whether or not his heart is in it. He doesn't push himself all that often and if you're not totally driven you can't do that well against people who may be less talented, but driven. However, he is competing today at the Penn Relays so we'll see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• jhc68
    replied

Is Andra really going to pop a big one? I've seen him jump a couple of times and he has just looked like another national class jumper to me. Very lackdaisical looking, smooth, but not much speed or pop... am I wrong or did I observe on a bad day?

Leave a comment:

• marknhj
    replied

2.2475m in 1980! Wacked bar at 2.25m and remeasurement came in 0.0025 under; was rather rude to the judge.

Must be strangest ever progression: 2.05, 2.10, 2.15, 2.18, 2.21, 2.23, 2.24 (as it was listed), 2.27F.

Regarding books: I was at Mt. Sac about 6 years ago and stopped by the T&FN booth. Saw an old BAAB HJ book by Frank Dick and was totally taken aback to see my picture on the cover; whoever was manning the booth was a little surprised when I blurted out, "That's me!" (in my defense I hadn't seen it for almost 20 years)

Leave a comment:

• DentyCracker
    replied

Mason injured himself at world indoors (knee ligaments unspecified) The surgery was done by one of my former lecturers, who stated that he should be able to start training in May all things being equal. I for one am not expecting a lot from him this year, maybe next year. I am waiting for Andra Manson to pop a really big one.

Leave a comment:

• The Fern
    replied

To Jumpin_Kolo
    How is your season going so far? Have you qualified for the trials yet? Go for it.

Leave a comment:

• The Fern
    replied

What happened to Berqvist? I didn't read she was hurt!

Leave a comment:

• Per Andersen
    replied

At this point Holm is clearly the big favorite.
    Jermaine Mason is out for the season after ruining his knee in his 2.32 attempt in Budapest during the WC.
    I have been waiting for Boswell and Rybakov to step it up to the next level but at least Boswell seems to be stuck. Right now I would pick Holm, Baba and Rybakov for the medals. The best US jumper is clearly Nieto. He can medal.

Leave a comment:

• highjumpfan
    replied

Ed, bought your book in HS, went on to jump 2.25. Thank you. Cloete, with a possible WR, and an unknown on the mens side.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X