Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Texas women at Penn

A thought-provoking article on arguments against regionals: http://www.statesman.com/sports/content ... 10054.html

(note: this link will expire on Thursday, April 29)

Any comments? Garry?
    "Run fast and keep turning left."

Re: No Texas women at Penn

Big 12 officials say moving the conference meet was a necessity? Gimme a break. Sure the conference meet would conflict with some finals. So what? Have the kids take finals when they come back. Do you think basketball and football would make such dramatic schedule changes because of finals?

I believe coaches are trying to sabotage regionals. They can't think beyond their own programs. They don't realize that Penn and Drake are 2 of the few meets remaining that are still worth going to as a spectator. Regionals actually mean something.

Comment

Another example of the haves trying to put it to the have-nots. (i.e., powerful schools liked it better when they could fly all over the country chasing Q marks) (and, even more importantly, when they didn't actually have to COMPETE)

Comment

Dan and Garry,

Is there any evidence that regionals has helped out the "have-nots"? It has been my experience that there are even more folks chasing times these days, as the regional standards open up the possibility of continuing the season to a greater number of athletes. Also, the costs associated with keeping kids on campus for that extra 2-5 weeks after the conference meet can't be helping already strapped budgets.

I don't think that the regional system is a bad thing, as I appreciate the idea of racing to make it to nationals, but we only need to look at the continued success of meets like Mt. Sac and Stanford to see that chasing of times is indeed continuing.

Comment

Any reason why UT pulled back the relay teams, but sent Andre Manson to win the high jump? Doesn't he have to jump regionals, too?

I know it's the men opposed to the women, but still!

Comment

Read the story I posted at the top of this thread. Basically, Kearney made one decision for her women, Thornton made a different one for his men.

Comment

Here's a suggestion, if we're gonna keep this ridiculous regionals system --

--since the NCAA foots NONE of the bills for competing teams at the regional meets, scrap the qualifying marks and let any D1-eligible athlete compete in his/her regional meet

--go to 8 equal regions and take the top 4 placers from each region to the national meet

--NO exceptions! you don't place in the top 4 in your region, you don't get to nationals; simple as that -- pure competition

--no times or distances are to be reported from the regional meets -- only placings; only place matters, so no need for pesky stats like wind readings

The current system hasn't stopped "chasing of marks" -- now it's just crappier athletes chasing crappier marks to get to Regionals.

Comment

>Any reason why UT pulled back the relay teams, but sent Andre Manson to win the high jump?<

Manson's event was Saturday--he comes up Friday after school, competes for a few hours, and goes back Saturday night or Sunday. The women's relays would have competed Thursday, Friday, and Saturday and most of the runners would have competed in more than one event. They would have had to leave Texas on Wednesday.

You can't compare the two in terms of time away from school late in the academic year.

Comment

I'd take GM's suggestion. The problem is that it's coaches who basically decide what happens, and from what I've seen in coaches meetings, they have little ability or desire to think about the big picture. Sure, some do, but most just think about their program. Unfortunately, they'd never go for a situation where an athlete who might have one of the top marks in the country doesn't make it to nationals.

Comment

The extra 25% of competitors or whatever it was they added to the NCAA championships was ridiculously unnecessary. If they didn't have a chance to qualify under the old system, they don't have a prayer of making the final. This is not high school, it's not "everyone gets a chance."

Comment

Why not just take the top 8 and have a straight final? Because it doesn't make for an interesting meet. Qualifying rounds are fantastic drama. I've only been to 5 NCAA outdoor meets, but last year's edition was the best I'd ever seen.

Comment

Thx for the clarification regarding Texas Women. I attended the Penn Relays for the first time this year. I was covered in my Texas gear. My seats were in the Jamaican contingent which numbered hundreds. This was the best meet, along with the 96 Olympics, that I have ever attended. The crowds were fanatic and very knowledgeable. Some of those seated next to me asked where the Texas women were as they wanted to see a battle between the Horns and LSU. The Texas men participated in hurdles, sprints, high jump and relays. I will be back for the 05 version.

Comment

>I attended the Penn Relays for
                          >the first time this year. I was covered in my Texas gear. My seats were in the
                          >Jamaican contingent which numbered hundreds.

FYI,

The entire stadium is the Jamaican contingent.

Glad you enjoyed the meet. I figured anyone whose there for the first time would enjoy it. Peace.

Comment

>Thx for the clarification regarding Texas Women. I attended the Penn Relays for
                            >the first time this year. I was covered in my Texas gear. My seats were in the
                            >Jamaican contingent which numbered hundreds.

I think I saw you in one of the photo galleries on the front page of this website!

Comment

Working...
                            X