Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HS Record For Long Beach Poly

of course, that's the parochial point of view, since they lost!

Indeed, 6 of 8 teams from Jamaica, one from Bahamas and LBP the only U.S. squad

1 44.32 Vere Technical / JA *Indira Spence, Maris Wisdom, Sharneter Stewart, Simone Facey
    2 44.50 Long Beach Poly / CA *Shana Solomon, Jasmine Lee, Chanda Picott , Shalanda Solomon

(at Penn, needless to say)

Re: HS Record For Long Beach Poly

That just blows my mind that anyone could put together a HS team that fast. That would put them 6th and 8th, respectively, on this year's NCAA D1 list.
    "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

Holmwood beat Vere at National HS champoinships last month in 44.26. Vere at Penn were able to use their 4 fastest girls. Sharneter Stewart of Vere ran on the under 17 team at nationals, and not on the under 19, which Holmwood won. She is faster than some of the girls who ran on the under 19 team at national HS champs and it shows. Simone Facey has run 11.22 this year.
      why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

long beach poly is a public school, so what makes them so successful, is it a matter of a lot of talented kids who just happened to live in the area, i am sure they have good coaching, but are the coaches there consistently producing that talent, or do the kids parents who have talented kids move into that school district, so their kids potential can be maximized, so their kids can get scholarships etc. i know private high schools that are successful can have talented kids from out of district, and many college coaches in all sports say recruiting is the most important part of their job. i remember reading lydiard explain why his system was the best and it was pointed out there were other successful coaches, he said yes, but these other coaches are getting athletes who are already somewhat established, whereas lydiard said he just coached kids from his small area and took them from scratch and deveoped olympians , champions and record holders, i am not sure of the numbers but i think he said of the 20 kids he started from scratch and stayed with his program 14 became olymians including snell, are the long beach poly coaches on a smaller level doing similar to lydiard?

Comment

It is my understanding that students in Long Beach may attend any of the city's schools. Obviously, Poly and Wilson draw the majority of the athlete crowd.

Comment

Poly is a big school (@4000 students) with a huge athletic tradition in a very large district (Wilson, Millikin, Lakewood are also in the district and similar in size) and there is an open enrollment policy. Poly is also the site of a district wide magnet school within a school for accelerated academics. So the campus attracts the best and brightest from a pretty large urban area.

The night JFK was assassinated in 1963 almost everything else in the country stopped but I watched Poly played Santa Ana HS in the CIF playoffs with a football team that featured Gene Washington at QB throwing to Earl McCollough and a 24'6" long jumper (whose name escapes me) playing half back. Other notable alumni: Billie Jean King, Cameron Diaz, Snoop Dogg, Marilyn Horn, Tony Gwynn, Tyus Edney, John Rambo. The urban myth that may be true is that Poly has more graduates than any other high school in California (the school is over 100 years old). In short, no one could mistake Poly for a typical high school!

Comment

I would like to know how Union City, CA James Logan continues to produce sprinter after sprinter - and fast relay teams - out of a city population of ca 69,000. Neighboring cities California Hayward and California Fremont have populations of ca 142,700 and ca 206,900, yet have produced absolutely ZERO fast sprinters or fast relay teams over the past 15 years. Fremont American had Steve Lewis transfer in from Los Angeles Banning, and together with Demetrius Carter, help American run 3.15 in the 4x4. Hayward and Fremont have a combined eight high schools, yet have had zero superstars at any one single, solitary school that matches James Logan year in, and year out.

Comment

< I watched Poly played Santa Ana HS in the CIF playoffs with a football team that featured Gene Washington at QB throwing to Earl McCollough and a 24'6" long jumper (whose name escapes me) playing half back. >

That long jumper was Marvin Motley.

Comment

Right, thanks for jogging my memory. In fact, if my memory is correct, Motley was a smallish gy who popped that big jump at a young age (10th grade?).

Comment

Check out the Sec championship. SOUTH CAROLINA!!!!!!!!!!!FRESH AND SOPHS = DYNASTY

Comment

Check out the Sec championship. SOUTH CAROLINA!!!!!!!!!!!FRESH AND SOPHS = DYNASTY

Comment

>Check out the Sec championship. SOUTH CAROLINA!!!!!!!!!!!FRESH AND SOPHS =
                        >DYNASTY

In today:s NCAA world, "fresh and sophs" who have the possibility of making up dynasties make good candidates for early departure into the contract world.

Comment

Working...
                        X