Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usain Bolt might Run the 4X400 meters at Penn

Usain Bolt might run the 4X400 meters relay at Penn. This could turn out to be pretty interesting, splits etc.
    20201.jpg

Re: Usain Bolt might Run the 4X400 meters at Penn

FROM WHAT PEOPLE AROUND BERT CAMERON HAVE SAID THIS KID IS ALREADY TO RUN 43,S.WE,LL SEE.I HOPE TO SEE SOMEONE RUN 19.6 OR FASTER AGAIN IN 200 THAT WOULD BE COOL.

Comment

Usain Bolt just ran 44.4 unofficially.

Comment

>Usain Bolt just ran 44.4 unofficially.

Wow!

Do you know of any other results...?

Comment

There are many results at the Saturday results page:

http://pennathletics.collegesports.com/ ... 04aae.html

The Men's 4x200m relay was a great time...1m:19.62s that's quick, and only 0.98s from Santa Monica's almost invicible 1m:18.68s set at the MSR Walnut in 1994...

Great leg for Bolt, he has proved himself yet again...

Comment

This 44.4secs run appears to be a 17 years old world age group record split. Can anyone confirm? How did his split compares with the other big guns in the race?

Comment

William Reed split a 44,52 (44.4 hand) anchor leg on the WJR 4x400m 3.01,90 on 20-July-1986 as a 16-year-old. Reed split 45,10 at Penn on his anchor leg for Central in 1986, which, 18 years later, is still the fastest Penn Relays high school 400m split.

Jerome Young split 44,6 on his third leg Saturday for USA red. USATF stated that Young "dashed the hopes of the All-Stars and Jamaica with a dominant third leg in 44.6 seconds." If Bolt made up 0,20 on Young, I don:t exactly see how Young dashed Jamaica:s hopes going into the anchor leg.

Comment

William Reed!!!

I haven't heard that name in ages. For those who don't remember, this guy was a phenom of phenoms back in the day. I think he even had a SI cover (or at least an article). Didn't he also have a 10 flat (hand-timed) 100m and a 20 point deuce? The sad part was he owned Steve Lewis all through high school, got injured and was never heard from again. What a shame. What a talent!

Comment

2003 rumor mill had Reed attempting a comeback. Was invited to 2004 Mt. Sac Invite, but no personal word on whether he accepted.

Printed on CalTrack, which covered 2003 Penn Relays: "Reed is planning a comeback. Scott Davis, who was at the party [for Arnie Shiffrin, long time track coach and teacher at Central High School], invited Reed to run at the 2004 Mt. SAC Relays."

http://www.caltrack.com/news/pennrelays2003.html

I think you are referring to the article in which he trained indoors by running down the halls at Central during the indoor season. He also ran with non-boiled eggs in his hands in order to maintain his form and not tie up.

The list of great USA teen 400m talent is deep, and although one can say it is a shame an individual burns out, gets chronic injuries or just never pans out on the national stage, there is always someone else behind him/her who steps up and takes the reigns. Hawthorne:s (and UCLA star) Henry Thomas is another example.

Thomas - a 44.5 anchor on Hawthorne:s 3.07,40 HSR, and the anchor on the still-standing 2.59,91 collegiate 4x400m record UCLA set in 1988 - never went to the Worlds or Olympics. Ran excellent relay 400s - two of which led to records which still stand today - 19 and 16 years later.

Comment

I was at the meet and saw Usain's performance. Thanks again to his handlers a very low key perfomance from the point that Bolt just ran to have fun, no hipe and no major pre-announcements.
                    It was also an excellent choice not to run Bolt in the 4X200 meters but to continue working on his development hence the longer distance.
                    Bolt ran conservately and careful, which means that greater plans to explode or in the future. May 7th is date to note. Seeing Bolt looking so easy on that leg I am convinced that he could hav ran a 44.00 split right now. I even more convince that with is natural speed and now greater enduring ability that Bolt could lower is time of 19.93 pretty soon (by early summer).
                    20201.jpg

Comment

Jerome Young split 44,6 on his third leg Saturday for USA
                      >red. USATF stated that Young "dashed the hopes of the All-Stars and Jamaica
                      >with a dominant third leg in 44.6 seconds." If Bolt made up 0,20 on Young, I
                      >don:t exactly see how Young dashed Jamaica:s hopes going into the anchor leg.>>

It looked like the exchange from Jamaica's third to fourth was inordinately slow for a 4 x 4 so Bolt's split may have been even faster. He appeared to make up a significant distance on Young that was lost in the exchange.

Comment

I appreciate the Jamaican newspapers not splashing Bolt:s name across the headlines after his relay leg yesterday, as there were a number of worthy athletes - Bolt included - who deserved mention after their Penn Relays performances.

Bolt was not the headline-grabber - or lead-in - on any of the Jamaican newspapers (or Radio Jamaica). High school kids got a lot of coverage, and their own Jamaica vs. USA experiences are what makes Penn special.

Comment

I've already set aside the J$2000 (circa US$33) for a finish line seat and as soon as I can buy a ticket, LL19 here I come. (or LK19 or LJ19 or even LI19) The ads on TV for the May 7th Jamaica Invitational meet show Marion, Monty, Mutola as coming.
                          why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

Working...
                          X