Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn Relays TV

Walt Murphy's News and Results Service

NBC will air the Penn Relays (live and tape) from 4:30pm-6:00pm(Eastern). If you're a sprint fan, you're going to love the show. (Distance fans won't). Anything can (and usually does) happen, but here is what's scheduled to be shown:

All six of the USA vs the World Races (M&W-4x100,4x200,4x400)

High School Boys 4x100

Both College 4x400s.

Possible highlights of the men's and women's miles.

The big news is that Usain Bolt, who recently set a World Junior Record in the 200, is only running the 4x400 today.

Re: Penn Relays TV

Others may or may not agree, but I thought that was one terrific TV presentation ! No wasted time, no stupid features, just 1.5 hours (well almost ) of good pure relay track ! Good TV job guys !!! And I loved MJ's attitude and comments.

Comment

>Others may or may not agree, but I thought that was one terrific TV
      >presentation ! No wasted time, no stupid features, just 1.5 hours (well almost
      >) of good pure relay track ! Good TV job guys !!! And I loved MJ's attitude
      >and comments.>>

Agreed. Great job.

Comment

i didn't see it, but i'll take your word for it. great job on tv! thanks.

Comment

Just damn glad to have track on TV. But...

The Boxing coverage ran 10-15 minutes overtime. T&F always seemes to be situated on the back end of a live event which invariably runs long. Why not use split-screen technology to help out in cases like these?

Another quibbling thought. NBC's woefull Marion Jones hype is kicking into gear again. You'd think she was running all 4 legs of the relay by herself. The camera locks on her before, during, and after the race, and to hell with anybody elss.

Comment

Speaking of Marion is it my imagination or was she less bulked up then before?

Comment

>Another quibbling thought. NBC's woefull Marion
              Jones hype is kicking into gear again. You'd think she was running all 4 legs of the relay by herself. The camera locks on her before, during, and after the race, and to hell with anybody elss.

That goes with IAAF coverage as well:

"Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (USA) - Marion Jones was a double winner at the 110th Penn Relays at the University of Pennsylvania’s Franklin Field on Saturday (24 April), in which the Olympic sprint champion participated in the USA vs. The World relay competition."

http://www.iaaf.org/news/Kind=2/newsId=24975.html

Fair to other athletes - or to Marion? NO. But her name sells and brings attention. Sportsline.com joined in the action and reported on Marion Jones. Their first-page right column headlines show: Report: BALCO gave Jones steriods. (http://www.sportsline.com/olympics/story/7281518) So a reader gets either interested, disgusted, or who knows, and clicks and reads on.

However, to Sportsline:s credit, they did write two other articles from this weekend: Another on Marion Jones and the USA vs World (http://www.sportsline.com/olympics/story/7280809); and one on Bernard Lagat winning the mile at a drenched Drake Relays (http://www.sportsline.com/olympics/story/7280803). Whether or not the writer knows who Bernard Lagat is, they deemed a 3.57 mile in Iowa a spectacular enough event to give it headline space.

Comment

>Just damn glad to have track on TV. But...

The Boxing coverage ran 10-15
                >minutes overtime. T&F always seemes to be situated on the back end of a live
                >event which invariably runs long. Why not use split-screen technology to help
                >out in cases like these?

Another quibbling thought. NBC's woefull Marion
                >Jones hype is kicking into gear again. You'd think she was running all 4 legs
                >of the relay by herself. The camera locks on her before, during, and after the
                >race, and to hell with anybody elss.>>>

She's the star. The NBA trains it's camera's on Kobe and Shaq not Derek Fisher.

One complaint about the coverage was that Usain Bolt was mentioned and then when he ran he was not mentioned. Didn't make sense. Maybe Walt can clue us outsiders on why this seems to happen during track coverage too often. Is it a spotter problem, director problem or really not a problem?

Comment

re those of us that bemoan the hyping of Marion Jones, we can't have it both ways, stop complaining. We all know the way to pull in more fans is to have superstars. So if they hype the likes of Marion Jones to draw more fans, what's the harm ? Good for TV, and good for us and the sport if we gain more fans.

Comment

>Speaking of Marion is it my imagination or was she less bulked up then before?

She looks a bit slimmer, but she's looking very toned.

Looks as though Chryste has got Marion's share of 'bulk'!

http://www.iaaf.org/MultimediaFiles/Pho ... 0XH400.jpg

Comment

>Others may or may not agree, but I thought that was one terrific TV
                      >presentation ! No wasted time, no stupid features, just 1.5 hours (well almost
                      >) of good pure relay track ! Good TV job guys !!! And I loved MJ's attitude
                      >and comments.

I thought it was great for what it was, but am I the only one who thinks the US v. the World concept just feels contrived? I would have much preferred this good coverage -- might we see this non-fluff style replicated for the Olympics? Please? -- focused on the college competitions. In other words, I'd like to see "real" teams, not invented ones.
                      "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

I thought it was great for what it was, but am I
                        >the only one who thinks the US v. the World concept just feels contrived? I
                        >would have much preferred this good coverage -- might we see this non-fluff
                        >style replicated for the Olympics? Please? -- focused on the college
                        >competitions. In other words, I'd like to see "real" teams, not invented
                        >ones.>>

I like to see men and women run fast so that I'm thankful for. That said, if the Penn Relays were shown as they were held ten years or so and back (w/o the USA vs. World concept) they would be just as enjoyable. There would be a starpower problem however for TV purposes.

Comment

OK, I know I'm risking being blasted here but....I found virtually nothing of interest in the meet. Hardly any of the races were competitive and the relays were basically meaningless. The main reason I watched was to see Bolt and White. However, the announcers didn't say when they were running. Bolt's name wasn't announced until the race had finished and until then I didn't realise he'd run. Had to rewind it 3 times just to figure out which one he was. Pretty much the same for White.

Suspect it's a cultural thing as meets like this don't exist in Europe. I'm sure it's exciting being there and it's good to get any network coverage, but it did nothing for me.

Comment

"USA vs The World" is a stupid, poorly executed, over-hyped contrived series of "races". The Penn Relay events proved it. None of those races were competitive. If you can't bring in the World "A" teams then don't run the races. At least the Jamaican fans livened the place up even though their team stunk.

I was in the stands so I didn't watch this on TV, but it's a shame that these dumb races were the ones being broadcast. The Penn Relay Carnival is much bigger and much better than USA vs The World and god knows that there were far better and much more competitive races run on Saturday.

USATF's marketing approach ("The World's #1 Track & Field Team" and "USA vs The World") stinks. It's not very convincing and more to the point who the hell cares???? The Penn Relays have been staged for 110 yrs and could go another 110 without these crappy events. The USA vs The World concept should be kicked out of the program. Penn does not need it.

Comment

The Men's 4x400 was more competitive than it seemed on TV. The mixed-bag team was stacked; Felix Sanchez just didn't run that fast (had he split a 44 it would have been quite close). Additionally, missing in the women's 4x200 was the Bahamas "A" team. I'm not sure why they didn't run - I thought they would have had a decent shot.

The relays can't be blamed when athletes just don't have it that day. I spent 10 minutes talking up the Russian women's 4x400 among my friends in results row and then the Russians promptly got smoked. Natalya Nazarova ran 49.6 open INDOORS and only ran a 51 on Saturday.

Obviously, the high school and college championship 4x400's are the best races of the meet, but the crowd gets into the pro races - and ticket sales aren't breaking records just because Winslow Township put the smackdown on Wolmer's Boys.

Comment

Working...
                              X