X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class Clown
    replied
    Re: PAUL MCMULLEN QUIETLY MOVING TOWARDS OLYMPIC TRIALS

Did you hop higher than a hen could? (and we won't even get into what's a henway? :-)

Leave a comment:

• marknhj
    replied

In Russia I was amused to see my surname, Naylor, appear in cyrillic as Henhop (with all the weird swiggles and funny two dot things, of course).

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

Meine name ist "ich habe viel meiner Deutschen" vergessen. Ich frage mich, wenn Paul McMullen es zurück zu den Olympischen Spielen machen wird.

Leave a comment:

• vaulter83
    replied

Sie können mich gerade "Herr Grammatik" heißen. Oh yeah and Go Paul!

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

Paul, you are a champ. Keep up the good work. We are glad you stayed in school.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Will be fun explaining to Paul McMullen how his comeback turned into a polyphonic grammar lesson!

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

>schon ohne umlaut is an adverb that means already. Maybe you were thinking of
    >schnell.

Ich dachte an das Wort schnell, nicht schon. Ich dachte an das Wort "schnell" in der Bedeutung "schon". Danke.

Leave a comment:

• vaulter83
    replied

schon ohne umlaut is an adverb that means already. Maybe you were thinking of schnell.

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied

>E GARRY HILL SEZ: Since we're speaking English, a more precise descriptor, I would suggest, is "diaeresis," even though that's a purely diacritical term for the 2-dot phenomenon as we use it to break syllables. (And the French would say "trema")

malmo sez: "Diaeresis" is a book by L Ron Hubbard.

EPELLE SEZ: Fascinating, however, is how distinctly different Malmö and Malmo sound, as do Lindström and Lindstrom in Swedish. Same with German schön (pretty) and schon (fast).

malmo sez: It's not "Malmo", it's "malmo."

I'll take TV sitcoms of the 60s for a $1000, Alex.

It's not "craw" it's "CRAW!"

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

Fascinating, however, is how distinctly different Malmö and Malmo sound, as do Lindström and Lindstrom in Swedish. Same with German schön (pretty) and schon (fast).

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Since we're speaking English, a more precise descriptor, I would suggest, is "diaeresis," even though that's a purely diacritical term for the 2-dot phenomenon as we use it to break syllables. (And the French would say "trema")

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

Översättning av: umlaut

Engelskt uppslagsord: umlaut

Svensk översättning: omljud; tecken för omljud {språkvetenskapligt (substantiv).

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied

EPELLE SEZ: Swedish translation: omljud

However, the "funny dots" themselves aren't omljud, correct?

http://www.websters-dictionary-online.o ... mlaut.html

"In Finnish and North Germanic languages (i.e., Danish, Icelandic, Norwegian and Swedish) characters (ü, ä, ö, and å) looking similar to German umlauts are in fact considered letters in their own right, despite their representing sounds similar to the corresponding sounds in German. As it is not a case of marking grammatical variation, i.e., of tempus or modus, nor of syllable modification, it is in fact neither a case of umlaut nor of diacritical marking. Hence it ought to be improper to call these characters umlauts; however, there is no more precise descriptor in English."

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

>Since the Swedes don't have a name for the dots and his last name is Lindstrom
    >he can probably call them umlauts if he wants, that's easier than two funny
    >dots with no name.

Swedish translation: omljud

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

>>McMullen and Pyrah are left from the last generation of US milers.

Don:t forget Sorensen, who is mentioned in this thread. Three weeks of training (after missing 12-consecutive) have produced: 3.52-3.49-1.51 times...laugh if you want -- they are not spectacular times. However, with 18 days of running, he is definitely on track to make it back to USATF. He ran 3.42,6 as a 36-year-old last summer in winning one of the CanAm meetings. Ran 2nd at the 1996 OT behind McMullen, and has 3.38,65-1.47,24 PRs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X