Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project 30 Still Alive

There's a home-page-linked article about how one of deposed USATF czar Doug Logan's pet initiatives, Project 30, an imperative to garner 30 medals in track next year in London, is still a priority for USATF.

Problem is, it's just lip service. As gh astutely pointed out in his May issue (which I just got today - has a great USATF preview) editorial, USATF doesn't do enough to support second-tier USA pros; they need more high-profile competitive opportunities. It's nice to SAY we should win 30 medals, but the reality is much more difficult and we need USATF's REAL support, not just a flip statement.

Re: Project 30 Still Alive

Is "Project 30" still an official USATF initiative? If so, how can they reconcile it with their decision to leave team spots empty rather than allowing marks-chasing? Wouldn't the logical decision, in relation to this initiative, be to do everything possible to fill every spot on the team (especially when there are very realistic medal-contenders such as Clay in the decathlon who could possibly achieve the A-standard if given another shot)?

I just don't get the prohibition on marks-chasing for events with less than three A-qualifiers. Who benefits from that policy?

Comment

Originally posted by Grasshopper
      I just don't get the prohibition on marks-chasing for events with less than three A-qualifiers. Who benefits from that policy?
      The paper-pushers who are administering the team.

Comment

The whole Project 30 scenario has always left sort of a bad taste in my mouth. For sure, I want the dear old USA team to do well, but it's not life and death. There is too much flag waving associated with the Olympic Games.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
          Originally posted by Grasshopper
          The paper-pushers who are administering the team.
          Disagree. If the initiative is MEDALS, then the last thing USATF should be worried about is the athletes most likely to resemble tourists - the ones who can't make the A-standard.

My best case scenario for USATF's 30 medal project (medals by event m&w together)
          100-3; 200-3; 400-2; 800-1; 1500-1; Steeple-0; 5k-1; 10k-1; Mar-1; HJ-2; LJ-1; TJ-2; PV-1; SP-3; DT-0; JT-0; HT-0; DEC-2

The real low-hanging fruit isn't just the support of tier-2 athletes but the hiring of a national coach to recruit and train women (and men) in the Javelin, Hammer Throw and Triple Jump- just to name a few events. There isn't a good reason why the USA shouldn't have at least 8 A-standard qualifiers for each field event. Once they do that, no one will give a crap about distance runner chasing marks.

Comment

Working...
          X