Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶NCAA mDecathlon: Mike Morrison (Cal) 8118 (CL)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA mDecathlon: Moss Leads Day 1 @ 4271

Originally posted by berkeley
    On the contrary, I haven't added it up, but I think Eaton would smoke Beach, and I suspect Clay and Hardee would also come out significantly ahead in this running pentathlon (perhaps unless the 5th event was a 10k).
    Well, as that last link after your post shows, I would not say "smoked", though Eaton is certainly on top for the event. The key here would be which other event would be added. To have a truer test of full range running ability, I believe it would either have to be a 5,000 or at worst an 800. The sprints are overstacked with the 100, 110H and 400. I would like actually to see a 100, 400, 800, 1500 & 5,000. Given Beach's current distance ability, I think it would be Beach who does the smoking. Though it will be interesting to see how long he can keep up the fireworks he provides in the distance. I hope he can get good in the throws enough to get himself into the mid 8000's. Enough to put pressure at the top.

Can you imagine the uncertainty of a winner going into the 1,500 if someone might outscore you by 300 or so points?

We might actually be able to see an new AR or WR because these guys would have to give more of an honest 1,500 than I think some of them are willing to give.

Comment

Re: ¶NCAA mDecathlon: Mike Morrison (Cal) 8118 (CL)

Originally posted by 26mi235
      Well, Morrison's 8118 is not world-class, but it is not that shabby either , especially with some 'easy' points in the HJ left on the table and less-than-optimal weather conditions etc (to off-set the 1500 advantage of rest). Since he was being 'chased' (from ahead) he presumably was flat out in the 1500.

Note that only one of these international guys beat Morrison's mark and that by less than 100 points (his HJ would close that gap).
      He also left PV points out there (he was a 17' vaulter in HS and "only" went 16'4" at Des Moines).
      He was definitely all out in the 1500 last week, since he had to maintain something in the range of a 44 second gap over Beach. His 1500 was a PR; I believe his old mark was in the mid 4:40's, so this was a significant PR of around 10 seconds.

Comment

While I think Eaton will work hard enough to comfortably make the team at Nationals, I am not expecting a dramatic effort.

If he were to really show us what he has, he will indeed smoke Mr. Beach and everyone else on the field.

I expect the big show to be at Worlds. Assuming optimal weather I see him at 8750+ and 8900 won't shock me.

Assuming Clay and Eaton are 100% for nationals, who are the next tier and how close together are they? Should be a heck of a fight for third(4th slot)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
          While I think Eaton will work hard enough to comfortably make the team at Nationals, I am not expecting a dramatic effort.

If he were to really show us what he has, he will indeed smoke Mr. Beach and everyone else on the field.

I expect the big show to be at Worlds. Assuming optimal weather I see him at 8750+ and 8900 won't shock me.

Assuming Clay and Eaton are 100% for nationals, who are the next tier and how close together are they? Should be a heck of a fight for third(4th slot)
          I agree regarding Eaton and Clay for the Nationals. No good reason to take potential points away from Daegu by killing oneself in Eugene. Eaton has already said as much. The battle for 3rd (4th) will probably be between Jake Arnold and Morrison, though I see that Tom Pappas is also entered and a healthy Pappas could well make that final slot.

Comment

Originally posted by bruce3404
            ...though I see that Tom Pappas is also entered and a healthy Pappas could well make that final slot.
            ???
            entered where?

Comment

Originally posted by gm
              Originally posted by bruce3404
              ...though I see that Tom Pappas is also entered and a healthy Pappas could well make that final slot.
              ???
              entered where?
              I came back to correct that info. TF&N has him picked in the top 5, so I assumed he was entered. Just checked the list and no Pappas yet, though he does have a qualifying score from last year's nationals in Des Moines.

Comment

Is Beach competing at nationals? He had a great NCAA meet so I don't anticipate him really beating his NCAA mark for a while. He had no serious errors to remedy and some nice PRs.

Comment

Originally posted by odelltrclan
                  On the contrary, I haven't added it up, but I think Eaton would smoke Beach, and I suspect Clay and Hardee would also come out significantly ahead in this running pentathlon (perhaps unless the 5th event was a 10k).
                  Well, as that last link after your post shows, I would not say "smoked", though Eaton is certainly on top for the event. The key here would be which other event would be added. To have a truer test of full range running ability, I believe it would either have to be a 5,000 or at worst an 800. The sprints are overstacked with the 100, 110H and 400. I would like actually to see a 100, 400, 800, 1500 & 5,000. Given Beach's current distance ability, I think it would be Beach who does the smoking. Though it will be interesting to see how long he can keep up the fireworks he provides in the distance. I hope he can get good in the throws enough to get himself into the mid 8000's. Enough to put pressure at the top.

Can you imagine the uncertainty of a winner going into the 1,500 if someone might outscore you by 300 or so points?

We might actually be able to see an new AR or WR because these guys would have to give more of an honest 1,500 than I think some of them are willing to give.
                  We can also throw into the mix Eaton's recent 13.35 hurdles. And I think he would run close to Beach over 800 (resulting in an aggregate that is still clearly superior), though certainly with a 5k it might be a toss-up.

Comment

Originally posted by odelltrclan

We can also throw into the mix Eaton's recent 13.35 hurdles. And I think he would run close to Beach over 800 (resulting in an aggregate that is still clearly superior), though certainly with a 5k it might be a toss-up.
                    Especially with some longer runs, Joe Detmer would also score a bunch of running points. Remember he ran a 4:03 in the 1500 with only an hour's rest and a 2:29 in the Hept while in college, and he destroyed the duodecathalon record by doing reasonably well in the 3000SC, the 5000 and the 10,000.

Comment

• Re: ¶NCAA mDecathlon: Mike Morrison (Cal) 8118 (CL)

Speaking of Detmer . . . anyone know if he's competing at USATF? He's not entered yet.

Comment

• Re: ¶NCAA mDecathlon: Mike Morrison (Cal) 8118 (CL)

Originally posted by DecFan
                        Speaking of Detmer . . . anyone know if he's competing at USATF? He's not entered yet.
                        Slight change - I have heard that he will be competing also is apparently not listed yet.

Comment

Working...
                        X