Questions for Jackie Joyner-Kersee...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for Jackie Joyner-Kersee...

Some of may or may not know that I have my own site - http://www.athleticslinks.com and every month or so, I interview a different athlete. An interview with Sandie Richards is about to go online and after her, Jackie Joyner-Kersee will be the next 'athlete of the month'. If anyone has any questions for Jackie, then post them here and I'll try and include them in the article.

Cheers,

Jon

Re: Questions for Jackie Joyner-Kersee...

I talked with Jackie a couple of weeks ago at UCLA. She looked great. Be sure to ask her what she is doing now in St. Louis and also, if she sees any new, young female U.S. athletes she thinks might be our future.

Comment

...no delete key...

Comment

PS question to SR: What did she most appreciate about training at Cal Poly under Brooks Johnson back in 1993? Which coaching style and philosophy has most-impacted her training, development and career? SR trained at SLO with Mary Onyali and Chryste Gains, and other post-collegiate stars such as Butch Reynolds and Andrew Valmon trained together there, as did Meredith Rainey.

Comment

>PS question to SR: What did she most appreciate about training at Cal Poly
          >under Brooks Johnson back in 1993? Which coaching style and philosophy has
          >most-impacted her training, development and career? SR trained at SLO with Mary
          >Onyali and Chryste Gains, and other post-collegiate stars such as Butch
          >Reynolds and Andrew Valmon trained together there, as did Meredith Rainey.

Cheers for that, Epelle.

Bit of a link there between Sandie and JJK - Brooks Johnson! Both have worked with him in the past.

Comment

The interview with Sandie went ahead last night (and she answered your question, EPelle). I'll hopefully get it up online sometime over the weekend.

Any more questions for JJK...? I'm kinda surprised at the weak response this thread has got over here, compared to the IAAF forums (considering this is more of an American site).

Also, if anyone actually wants to be credited with the questions they ask, then add your name and location at the below your question (or if you want to remain anonymous on these forums yet want your name mentioned with your question, email me your questions instead - [email protected] ).

Cheers.

Comment

Maybe it's because the T&FN Richards interview is already in many subscribers' hands?

Comment

Does she think Kluft will break her WR?

Comment

How do you explain the so poor results from the
                  US women in the long-jump event?

Comment

Does she see any of the young Americans as capable of breaking 7000? Hyleas Fountain? Shana Woods?
                    THe best high school heptathletes almost never do well as senior athletes. I have often wondered why this is. Does JJK have a theory as to why this is so? Lack of coaching expertise on the senior level? A negative reaction to all the work that is necessary to excel at the senior level, that is, it's not enough to be talented?

Comment

The reason young heptathlon (and decathlon) stars so often don't seem to pan out is because, IMHO, because they're rarely top-flight talents to begin with. In fact, I would guess that many of them are actually below-average talents who have a coach who realizes they can't do too much in individual events and also see that very few high schoolers actually try the multi-events, so to rise to the top of the heap isn't all that tough (relatively speaking).

Comment

>Maybe it's because the T&FN Richards interview is already in many subscribers'
                        >hands?

I believe the T&FN Richards interview was with Sanya Richards, not Sandie Richards. Sanya was a mite young to work with Brooks Johnson back in 1993.

Comment

I'd like to know what her late sister-in-law and brother thought about the 10.49. Did they think it was legit (in the context of the wind; not you-know-what, of course)? Also, what she thinks Jones' potential in the LJ is and if she should keep pursuing it. Also, how the hell can someone move back to St. Louis, Misery, after living in So. Cal. for so long?!

Comment

To continue with Gary's thought, it's also extremely difficult to stay focused and disciplined after college. We have seen many great athletes in one event fail to maintain that focus after college. Now multiply that times 7 or ten, with very little financial reward. A classic example was my teammate in college, the collegiate record holder in the hep, Diane Guthrie. Fantastic athlete, but once she finished college, lost the desire and focus needed to maintain that level.

Comment

>The reason young heptathlon (and decathlon) stars so often don't seem to pan
                              >out is because, IMHO, because they're rarely top-flight talents to begin with.
                              >In fact, I would guess that many of them are actually below-average talents who
                              >have a coach who realizes they can't do too much in individual events and also
                              >see that very few high schoolers actually try the multi-events, so to rise to
                              >the top of the heap isn't all that tough (relatively speaking).

Yes, I think that is at least part of the reason. Indeed, the HS record should probably be more on the order of 5800-6000. And if Shana Woods sticks with the event it may well be that within a couple of years.

Comment

Working...
                              X