Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nesta Carter won't be ready for Trials

KINGSTON – Olympic Games sprint relay Nesta Carter said he will not be at his best for Jamaica’s National Championships set for June 23-26 here at the National Stadium.

Carter, in a recent interview, said “I suffered a hamstring injury at the Prefontaine Classic” and added “I just return to full training,” while making it clear he would not be at his best by next week. At the Prefontaine Classic, Crater, who looked uncomfortable towards the end, ran 9.92 in what was his second 100m race of the season.

The sprinter, the fourth fastest man in history at 9.78, pulled out of last weekend’s Adidas Grand Prix in New York.

Next week’s Championships is one of the most highly anticipated in years. Several sub-10 men, Asafa Powell, Carter, Steve Mullings, Yohan Blake, Nickel Ashmeade, Lerone Clarke, Mario Forsythe among many other compete for at least six spots to the Deagu World Championships later this summer.

Re: Nesta Carter won't be ready for Trials

Originally posted by chuku69
    KINGSTON – Olympic Games sprint relay Nesta Carter said he will not be at his best for Jamaica’s National Championships set for June 23-26 here at the National Stadium.

Carter, in a recent interview, said “I suffered a hamstring injury at the Prefontaine Classic” and added “I just return to full training,” while making it clear he would not be at his best by next week. At the Prefontaine Classic, Crater, who looked uncomfortable towards the end, ran 9.92 in what was his second 100m race of the season.

The sprinter, the fourth fastest man in history at 9.78, pulled out of last weekend’s Adidas Grand Prix in New York.

Next week’s Championships is one of the most highly anticipated in years. Several sub-10 men, Asafa Powell, Carter, Steve Mullings, Yohan Blake, Nickel Ashmeade, Lerone Clarke, Mario Forsythe among many other compete for at least six spots to the Deagu World Championships later this summer.

Big Yawn. Jamaica still has Bolt, Blake, Mullings, Ashmeade, Frater and loads more folks. Jamaica still as strong without Carter.

Comment

So who now is in the running for spots (not legs) 3 and 4 on the relay?

Comment

On a personal level, that must be very disappointing news for Carter....

He would've fancied his chances of getting an individual place in the 100, and now his best chance may end up being on the relay.

Would he be better off jsut doing the 200 at the Trials?
        My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

I think that he is unfortunate not to have the experience of the Worlds prior to next year's Olympic Games. It will help to be on the relays. Speaking of relays, what if he does not perform well at his Trials, are they free to pick whomever they want?

Comment

It will be even more difficult next yr. as mr. bolt will run the trials in both 100 & 200 for the olympics. Now that trial is gonna be awesome but stressful for a lot of athletes, since it will be only 3 qualifying.

Comment

Originally posted by shivfan
              On a personal level, that must be very disappointing news for Carter....

He would've fancied his chances of getting an individual place in the 100, and now his best chance may end up being on the relay.

Would he be better off jsut doing the 200 at the Trials?
              If he is injury I don't think he will be doing anything at trials. Plus, he has a better chance in 100m than 200m. He just has to try get a individual spot next year, even though it will be even more difficult (as someone else already stated) due to the fact that only 3 spots available and Bolt will be in both races for next year trials. In 2009 he missed Berlin due to injury, and now not even his joint # 1 ranking in 100m last year will be enough for him be pick over the guys who qualified at trials, once they maintain their form.

Sherone Simpson missed the last two World Champs due to injury...it's just how it goes sometimes. This year is looking good for her and hopefully she will remain injury free for Worlds. I have no doubt she will make the team for Daegu.

Comment

Working...
              X