Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are We Really Educating Our Children This Poorly?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are We Really Educating Our Children This Poorly?

Article claims--among other things--that the vocabulary of the average 8th-grader has declined from around 25,000 to 10,000 words. Yikes.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 68MT61.DTL

caution--the article starts with reference to an ugly surgical procedure

Re: Are We Really Educating Our Children This Poorly?

And what exactly does this have to do with T&F ?
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

>And what exactly does this have to do with T&F ?

I was about to ask the same thing...

Comment

>And what exactly does this have to do with T&F?<

Irrelevant. I will grant the owner of the Board some latitude to use it to call our attention to things we might find of interest.

This article was indeed interesting (horrifying, actually) and those of us who do not live in the Bay Area would not normally have seen it, as gh currectly surmised.

Thank you for posting it, Garry. I know you don't put non-track stuff up here very often and when you do, I trust your judgment about what's appropriate.

Comment

This board is becoming so moribund (Kids--that word ring any bells?!) that I welcome informed commentary of just about any kind. I would guess the surest way to stop non-track postings is to keep the board filled with track-related ones. As a community I am afraid we are falling down miserably in that regard.

Comment

Of course it is relevant. This site is an offshoot of a magazine. If this continues, there will be no one left to read it.
            Hands up everyone who has to review the written work of twenty somethings. Most of it is truly horrifying. I'm reading
            that article and jokingly thinking that they should bring in some kind of literacy test to allow people to vote
            and then the guy practically says that very thing at the end of the article:

"Given their lack of knowledge of history and current events, perhaps it is no tragedy that a majority of young people
            don't bother to vote."

Comment

Yes, it's a valid and important issue. So are world hunger, desertification, global warming, genetic engineering, war in Iraq, abortion, terrorism and a few others... Should we start discussing all of them here?
              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

what do edumoncafon mEan?

-buuCeye III, grade 9

Comment

I think it's safe to say that from the guidelines at http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/di ... elines.jsp that item 3:

"The definition of "objectionable post" rests solely with T&FN."

trumps item 4:

"This is a track & field (or, as some prefer to think of it, field & track) board and posts should be restricted to that subject."

T&FN owns and operates this board as their little fiefdom. Most of the participants find their application of the guidelines acceptable and choose to participate in various threads. Should the supreme beings with removal powers want to digress, that appears to be their perogative, just as it is the choice of readers whether to stay or leave.

For what it's worth, have a look at how fast this thread is ratcheting up the post count.

Comment

I think it's relevant in that when past and present collegiate athletes come on here their posts are often the most illiterate, even ones who have apparently graduated from decent schools.

Comment

I think it a little unfair to criticize the athlete posters: the key, imho, lies in the subject line, which I chose rather carefully. Are WE..... We have found the enemy and it is us (not them). The parents/educators of the last couple of decades have let their children down horridly.

Comment

Pretty sure that there is also the unspoken "Lance Armstrong" exemption to the guidelines. Actually, this article names him as athlete of the week but names some other T&F performances as notable:

"For his efforts in Georgia, Lance Armstrong is USATODAY.com's U.S.
                        Olympic Athlete of the Week."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics ... rong_x.htm

Comment

>We have
                          >found the enemy and it is us (not them). The parents/educators of the last
                          >couple of decades have let their children down horridly.

Exactly. The baby boomers.

Comment

Your country (USA), according to Geography IQ, is ranked #1 in GDP; #1 budget revenues; #1 in exports; #1 in external debt; #1 in communications; #1 in transportation; #1 in military expenditures, and has a #3 ranking in total population - among other important facts and figures.

However, USA ranks #62 with a a 97% literacy rate according to Geography IQ.

Would your sports followers cry foul if USA was ranked #62 in the overall medal count in the Olympic Games? I believe so.

While 9,7 out of 10 kids and adults can read, the numbers may be declining, and this forum is a place where we can look at the effects sports has on society - and vice versa.

http://www.geographyiq.com/countries/us ... nkings.htm

Comment

>>Exactly.
                              >The baby boomers.>>

Just don't say "left wing baby boomers."

Comment

Working...
                              X