Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Toughest National Championship Event in the World

Looking at the abundance of "A" qualifiers that the U.S. has in certain events, I started thinking about other nations that might be similarly stacked in certain events. Which national championship event is the toughest/deepest in the sport of track and field and perhaps even tougher/deeper than the Olympic final? For example, is the Kenyan men's Steeplechase final tougher than the U.S. men's 110 hurdles final? What about Ethiopia in the women's 5000 or Russia in the women's long jump? How many other nations can call up medal contenders out of the bullpen like the U.S. did when David Payne was called up a couple of days before the start of the men's 110 hurdles final at the 2007 World Championships?

Re: The Toughest National Championship Event in the World

based upon 2011 results these may be the hardest teams to make.

wTJ - CUB (6th best is 14.30)
    wLJ - RUS (7 women between 6.74-6.82)
    wHJ - RUS (4 women between 1.92-1.96)
    w100h - USA
    wMarathon - Ken/ETH
    w100/200/400 - JAM/USA

mJT - FIN (82.39 is 4th best performance in country of '11)
    mHT - BLR (77.02 is 4th best performance in country of '11)
    mSP - USA
    mTJ - CUB (17.05 is 5th best)
    mPV - USA
    mHJ - USA
    m400h - USA
    m110h - USA!
    m3Ks - KEN (8th place is 8:13 of '11)
    m26.2 - KEN (2:06 is 6th best)
    m1500 - KEN (9 under 3:34)
    m800 - USA
    m100/200/400 - USA

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
      Which national championship event is the toughest/deepest in the sport of track and field and perhaps even tougher/deeper than the Olympic final?
      For depth I'll nominate the Men's 100m at the Jamaican National Championships. At least one sub-9.9 runner will not make the team this year, at least two will not make the team next year. Looking at the potential finalists, there looks to be six who are sub-10 this year and with two more that were sub-10 last year, it is possible that by the time the final is to be run all eight finalists will be sub-10 this year.

2011 marks:

Steve Mullings 9.80 (+1.3)
      Nesta Carter 9.92 (+1.3)
      Asafa Powell 9.93 (+0.6)
      Michael Frater 9.94 (+1.3)
      Yohan Blake 9.95 (+0.9) (with a 9.80 +2.2 also)
      Nickel Ashmeade 9.96 (+1.1)
      Regards,
      toyracer

Comment

Originally posted by toyracer
        Which national championship event is the toughest/deepest in the sport of track and field and perhaps even tougher/deeper than the Olympic final?
        For depth I'll nominate the Men's 100m at the Jamaican National Championships. At least one sub-9.9 runner will not make the team this year, at least two will not make the team next year. Looking at the potential finalists, there looks to be six who are sub-10 this year and with two more that were sub-10 last year, it is possible that by the time the final is to be run all eight finalists will be sub-10 this year.

2011 marks:

Nesta Carter 9.92 (+1.3)
        Asafa Powell 9.93 (+0.6)
        Did you use the 2011 results just so that you wouldn't have to give credit to Jamaicas favorite sprinter, Mario Forsythe? :lol:

btw, there are a few countries whose depth may challenge Jamaica's 100 men. Look at the Kenya m1500

Comment

Originally posted by 7-sided
          mPV - USA
          mHJ - USA
          m800 - USA
          :? :?:

In 2010, the U.S. didn't even have three people to make the A standard in the pole vault and the high jump, and when was the last time an American medaled in a global 800 final?

Comment

mPV - USA
            mHJ - USA
            m800 - USA
            :? :?:

In 2010, the U.S. didn't even have three people to make the A standard in the pole vault and the high jump, and when was the last time an American medaled in a global 800 final?
            I knew someone would pick up on that, but the methodology, though weak, has some sound elements. First, the country had to have either A or B qualifiers with A qualifiers getting priority. So, though the 5th Cuban isn't an A at 17.05 (it's a B, 16.95), 17 meters is still a good quality jump and only 7 men have jumped 17.20 - which is the A standard - anyway. Remember, A-standard's are not created equally!!! More, then the proximity of athletes to their countryman determined "competitiveness" so the USA Mens 110h is ridiculously competitive while the UK women's heptathlon isn't; it's a coronation. The hardest teams to make, imo, are the events where you actually have to show up and compete. The mens 800m fits that criteria.

mPV - though only one guy has the A; the rest are bunched above the B in more concentration than any other country.
            mHJ - 4 guys above the A of 2.31; no other country has that much relative depth
            m800 - 9 Americans below A anyone of whom could make team

Comment

In 1984 Robinson missed the American Record by 0.01 seconds -- and missed making the team by the same amount, as four guys finished at 0.01 behind the AR or better (and neither favorite Paige nor Redwine made the team either).

That was a great day at the Trials because I think [correct me if I am wrong, and having the 800 and 1500 on the same day seems a bit odd] it was the day that had bang-up finishes in both 1500s, highlighted by Ruth Wysocki's stunning denial of Decker's multiple attempts to pass her on the last lap. However, I remember seeing the 1500s and the 800 and I was only there two days I think.

Comment

Originally posted by toyracer

2011 marks:

Nesta Carter 9.92 (+1.3)
                Asafa Powell 9.93 (+0.6)

The Jamaican male and female sprrints(100/200m) is the toughest in the world. The US only has two athletes of note Tyson and Jeter.

Jamaican women

Fraser
                Veronica
                Stewart
                Simpson

Comment

mMarathon - Ken - I stopped counting at 40( I was getting tired) who have met the qualifying standard in 2011.

Comment

USA Men's 800m- (This screams; "Gidder Done" & Tafny award candidate)

On a more serious note, without any bias, the Ja. men's 100m start will be the shot heard around the globe or in another sense the silence for that start will be the most deafening silence during that time span...even with the kenyans fielding loaded middle and long distance trials as they are expected to.

Comment

I knew someone would pick up on that, but the methodology, though weak, has some sound elements. First, the country had to have either A or B qualifiers with A qualifiers getting priority. So, though the 5th Cuban isn't an A at 17.05 (it's a B, 16.95), 17 meters is still a good quality jump and only 7 men have jumped 17.20 - which is the A standard - anyway. Remember, A-standard's are not created equally!!! More, then the proximity of athletes to their countryman determined "competitiveness" so the USA Mens 110h is ridiculously competitive while the UK women's heptathlon isn't; it's a coronation. The hardest teams to make, imo, are the events where you actually have to show up and compete. The mens 800m fits that criteria.

mPV - though only one guy has the A; the rest are bunched above the B in more concentration than any other country.
                      mHJ - 4 guys above the A of 2.31; no other country has that much relative depth
                      m800 - 9 Americans below A anyone of whom could make team
                      I see where you're going, but I'm talking about quality as well as parity. The men's 110 hurdles is the only American event I can think of where the eight place finisher in the USATF final would have a better than 50/50% chance of making the Olympic or World final. The other events in which would-be medal contenders will get left at home are the men's 400 and the men's 400 hurdles. I don't think the same can be said for the men's 800, pole vault or high jump.

Comment

Originally posted by notorious
                        The Jamaican male and female sprrints(100/200m) is the toughest in the world. The US only has two athletes of note Tyson and Jeter.

Jamaican women

Fraser
                        Veronica
                        Stewart
                        Simpson
                        Huh? :? Have you ever heard of Felix, Spearman, Dix, etc.?

Comment

I don't think the same can be said for the men's 800, pole vault or high jump.
                          But I think the same that was said of these could also be said for the Samoan 100m hurdles trials, so in comparison there is some merit in the thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelpa
                            On a more serious note, without any bias, the Ja. men's 100m start will be the shot heard around the globe or in another sense the silence for that start will be the most deafening silence during that time span...even with the kenyans fielding loaded middle and long distance trials as they are expected to.
                            I hope it's more competitive than the 2008 Olympic trials final. That race looked like a heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelpa
                              I don't think the same can be said for the men's 800, pole vault or high jump.
                              But I think the same that was said of these could also be said for the Samoan 100m hurdles trials, so in comparison there is some merit in the thought.
                              Parity? Yes. Quality? No.

Comment

Working...
                              X