Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is Suitable Board Material (Topics)?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is Suitable Board Material (Topics)?

This is an offspring of the "education" thread, which--like other threads not about track--inspired questions about suitability for this board and adherence to guidelines. While admitting that the education question was of interest to everyone, he countered:

>Yes, it's a valid and important issue. So are world hunger, desertification,
    >global warming, genetic engineering, war in Iraq, abortion, terrorism and a few
    >others... Should we start discussing all of them here?>>

To which I respond:

That's actually a superb question. In general I certainly find the level of discourse on this board to be a cut above what I find in so many other places and I oft-times wonder if not making the board so restrictive might not make for a more vibrant forum overall. There's certainly more of a "sense of community" I think, on boards where ideas other than just the core theme are tackled. It's not as if we have so much traffic here that nobody can keep up with it.

As noted above, I've from time to time seeded the board with off-track topics; usually out of sheer boredom but also as a bit of an experiement to see how the membership would react. Typically, it's the off-track ones that generate the most debate. Still, I don't know if that's good or bad. Really don't want to get into endless pissing matches over the verboten topics of religion and politics but the interesting items Powell cited certainly have similar potential to head down the road to nastiness.

Thoughts?

Re: What Is Suitable Board Material (Topics)?

Why not create a 4th section of this forum for miscellaneous, non-T&F-related discussion? That way, the people who want to read and discuss purely T&F won't be interefered by the people who don't mind talking about anything.

Comment

That's a possibility, but the other side of the coin is that there were those who fought the breaking of the board (which was originally just one forum) into the original two parts, and I know that at least some of them dislike it to this day, feeling that there's a lack of continuity when you have to jump from one place to another. (To say nothing of the problems people with slow modem hookups have every time they have to wait for pages to repaint.)

Comment

I am for off-subject material which can tie sports and society together. God knows everyone on here has an opinion about something - whether it is talk about the forbidden 100-thread-men - or other track-specific issues, concerns, questions, gripes or praises.

I am for a forum which would provide users an opportunity to learn about track, its history, its issues, its challenges, its bill of health as an entity, and its future. There are athletes and the academics who forge the sport forward, and it would be great to know what goes on both on and off the track.

Again, sport and society go hand-in-hand in your country - as with other sports in other societies across Europe. Without sports...well, there is simply no place for that thought.

If a person has an issue with low literacy rates, high crime, drug usage, cheats, or anything else on the mind, this forum CAN be a place to get those kinds of issues on the public table where others can be informed, involved and in touch (KSBY/SLO slogan) with what goes on outside of the arena for some of the athletes we enjoy watching perform. I am not concluding that we should talk about everything under the sun, rather insofar as we keep dialog open and communication clear and understood, we can raise concerns which (in)directly impact athletes across the world.

Comment

>>Yes, it's a valid and important issue. So are world hunger, desertification, global warming, genetic engineering, war in Iraq, abortion, terrorism and a few others... Should we start discussing all of them here?>>

To which I respond:

That's actually a superb question.<<

I'll give you a superb answer and that is NO. I am sure there are thriving forums on the web where people who are passionate and/or knowledgeable about those subjects can discuss them ad nauseum. I don't mind an occasional digression from track into such subjects of universal interest as literacy, baseball, music, and beer. But I do not come here to deal with grave issues like those mentioned above. As much as I like our community, I like it for what it is, and I'd like it to remain unburdened by the weight of the world's serious problems.

Comment

>I'll give you a superb
            >answer and that is NO. I am sure there are thriving forums on the web where
            >people who are passionate and/or knowledgeable about those subjects can discuss
            >them ad nauseum.>>

But I'm sure that if you go there, you'll quickly feel as unwelcome/ignorant as the uber-knowledgable track fanatics make the common fan who tries to visit and contribute here feel.

Comment

I don't mind an occasional digression from track into such
              >subjects of universal interest as literacy, baseball, music, and beer.

As long as that list includes hockey-never bet the streak:-(. Oh-and Lance.

Comment

I vote to keep the board on-topic. Tangential discussions are fine but opening the board to discussion on politics, relgion etc. will only open a Pandoras box. The nontrack-related topics will likely water down the board to a state it will no longer be enjoyable to filter through the noise, to get to what we really are here to discuss.

If I want to discuss education I will talk about it with my wife who is a teacher, or go to a related board on the topic. Likewise with religion, politics or the art of puppetry.

Comment

I vote for the occasional foray into the real world (not to be confused with The Real World). If one does not like to partake in the discussion - click away. That said, I prefer this stays mostly TRACK & FIELD!

Comment

"I'll give you a superb answer and that is NO."

For what it's worth I heartily second that response. hehe.

Comment

I prefer this board be limited to track and field topics or topics closely related to the sport such as on the THG board in which the full story encompasses other sports.

Comment

My view on this echoes excactly tanfman and tafnut. Let's have fun with some beer and music stuff, that's fine. For me Track&Field has always been a sanctuary from the realities of "real" life. Why would anybody log on to this site for a serious discussion on anything else than Track & Field?

Comment

Agree with the views immediately above. Field & Track with occasional sidetracks on other amusing topics.

Comment

marknhj are you Canadian? if so did you jump in 88 in Seoul?

Comment

>marknhj are you Canadian? if so did you jump in 88 in Seoul?

Brit. Former record holder:

2.24 Mark Naylor (ENG) 10.09.57 1 Plymouth 28 Jun 1980 10

Comment

Working...
                              X