Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is Suitable Board Material (Topics)?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Is Suitable Board Material (Topics)?

Getting off topic has ruined many a newsgroup/message board. I suggest sticking to:

1. track

2. field

And if you really want to get crazy and far-out, we could talk about road running, cross country, or even the standing long jump. Otherwise, all other topics surely have another board somewhere that is appropriate.

(And as I've said before, being a political journalist, I spend all day discussing politics on the job. This board is my refuge, a politics-free zone.)
    "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

The greatest argument AGAINST a wider spectrum of topics is the irrationality, name-calling, and closed-mindedness people exhibit when one gets into the political/social sphere. [not that we don't engender that in some T&F discussions!!] I welcome ANY discussion that stays civil and rational, but as Lee said, I go here to 'relax'. I guess my biggest problem is that I can get sped up pretty quickly on subjects I DO know something about (education being the topic at hand on the sister thread that gh started), and while I do enjoy off-topics, my dander quotient rises exponentially when someone says something with which I fundamentally disagree.

Comment

Add another vote to retaining the track & field focus -- especially with the upcoming certain to be nasty US elections. I, for one, need a safe haven/sanctuary. (Of course, if for some idiotic reason the US decides to boycott for security reasons then that's on-topic, i.e, see Mark Spitz's comments today.) The occasional diversion can be fun, but too much non-T&F content will quickly degrade the value of this board.

Comment

I really liked how oldvaulter put it. I couldn't agree more. I've really enjoyed all the great discussions mostly about track.

Comment

> I want to add that
            >I am less bothered by random off-topic posts or remarks than I am by those who
            >scream every time they see something off topic.>>

Hear-hear! And while we're singling out my non-favourites, let's add in those who think they've been somehow appointed as hall monitors and demand that posts be removed.

Comment

I,FOR ONE, say TRACK ONLY and ban that moron Satch. signed KUHA SATCHMAN and all other real fans.

Comment

Brit. Former record holder:

2.24 Mark Naylor (ENG) 10.09.57 1 Plymouth 28 Jun 1980 10"

Thanks, I know who I was confusing you with now, had forgotten his first name.

Comment

"let's add in those who think they've been somehow appointed as hall monitors and demand that posts be removed"

LOL!!

Comment

I guess another vote for keeping it to T&F (or F&T). I did enjoy the musical interlude in the winter, and maybe that is the key. After XC is done and indoor hasn't kicked in, we can goon around with non T&F subjects, while waiting for action. There seems to be as much flaming on "pure" T&F posts as on the off the wall things, but that is probably due to the basic interest of the posters and readers. I would be in favor of limiting (voluntarily [LOL]) the non T&F post to the Dec-Jan time frame.

Comment

Powell's Relevance Test:

If it would be out of place in T&FN (the magazine), it doesn't belong on the T&FN Board.
                      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

As -- primarily -- a barely-knowledgeable lurker, I prefer to stay on-topic as much as possible. It would be almost impossible to avoid injecting religion and politics into off-topic threads. Case in point, the article which spawned this thread: What is the reason behind declining literacy? Is it permissive leftist attitudes which "validate" any form of expression, and lead to watered-down grades; or is it a right-wing assault on public funding which has left schools inadequately staffed and which punish schools for low test scores?

I'm not trying to continue the discussion of another thread, but to point out that just about anything (other than beer and iPods, perhaps) can lead to visceral feelings and quite unpleasant exchanges.

Okay, other than *iPods*.

Comment

>Okay, other than *iPods*.

Sorry but:

"There can be no doubt in anyone's mind that the "CD vs Vinyl" debate is the longest running and most heated debate..."

http://www.mio.co.za/article.php?cat=dj&id=152

And:

"i have never heard a digital track... that
                          "beats" a analouge one.."

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php? ... f=1&t=7993

People get WAY more passionate about music than they do about track.

Comment

(Of course, if for some idiotic reason the US decides to
                            >boycott for security reasons then that's on-topic, i.e, see Mark Spitz's
                            >comments today.)

I finally bit. The guy has gills not brains.

Comment

As another "regular", I too vote to keep it T&F specific, with the occasional forays in other directions also being natural offshoots that can be both fun and interesting.

Comment

"Fun" is the key word here. That's why I think baseball and beer are acceptable subjects for those occasional forays, but world hunger and the war in Iraq are not.

Comment

Working...
                                X