Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is Suitable Board Material (Topics)?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Flash
    replied
    Re: What Is Suitable Board Material (Topics)?

>No I meant that most experts in any field don't like to give general advice on
    >a matter without dealing with the specific case.

Good point...and yes, I totally agree. You can't throw advice around without knowing something of who will be using it. Everyone is different and every program should be tailored to that athlete. So, I guess I didn't really mean that "advice" is what I was looking for, so much as just a general sharing of ideas on training, programs, experiences, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Elite_10K Idol
    replied

>"Fun" is the key word here. That's why I think baseball and beer are
    >acceptable subjects for those occasional forays, but world hunger and the war
    >in Iraq are not.

Why ? Do you feel that Americans would take the war in Iraq to personally. What if your child was killed by a drunk driver ? Would the beer discussion still be fun?

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

No I meant that most experts in any field don't like to give general advice on a matter without dealing with the specific case.

Leave a comment:

• The Flash
    replied

If you mean that we discuss this athlete and his performance and that athlete and his performance, like Alan Webb and El G, then yes, you're probably right...and I do find that facinating, and I love the inside look (or even a skilled outside look) at these athletes' accomplishments. In fact, my favorite part of the magazine (10 years ago, or so), was the "In a Nutshell" stories on different elite athletes, showing their progression over the years in their events, from freshmen to current.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

The only thing I wish happened more on this board
    >was more discussion on training, workouts, strategies for those who are still
    >out competing (even if just for the pure pleasure of the sport) or coaching.
    >

Maybe you don't see it much from those in a position to do it because it is so athlete specific?

Leave a comment:

• The Flash
    replied

I like this board, but...

The only thing I wish happened more on this board was more discussion on training, workouts, strategies for those who are still out competing (even if just for the pure pleasure of the sport) or coaching.

There are a lot of amazing fans, coaches, and athletes on this board that have immeasurable amounts of experience and knowledge, and, while it's nice to get their views on the upper end of the sport, it would also be nice to tap into their great practical knowledge to make us all better athletes in the sport, not just fans.

This kind of topic has been encouraged and there have been a couple of good discussions, but for whatever reason, it seems that discussions follow the form of the magazine and website, which is all about stats and coverage of the sport's best athletes.

I don't know if that's just me, but that's all I miss from this site, I really like what is here.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied

Careful No Name. You are about to start something the majority on this board is trying to avoid.

Leave a comment:

• No Name
    replied

"Bullshit!!!!"

I'll bet you're a sociology major or professor. Or perhaps a philosophy major or professor.

Leave a comment:

• The Kitchen Cynic
    replied

>>It's definitely the result of permissive leftist attitudes.<<

Bullshit!!!!

(The dialogue above demonstrates why we should keep politics off the Board.)

Leave a comment:

• No Name
    replied

"Case in point, the article which spawned this thread: What is the reason behind declining literacy? Is it permissive leftist attitudes which "validate" any form of expression, and lead to watered-down grades; or is it a right-wing assault on public funding which has left schools inadequately staffed and which punish schools for low test scores?"

It's definitely the result of permissive leftist attitudes.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

"Fun" is the key word here. That's why I think baseball and beer are acceptable subjects for those occasional forays, but world hunger and the war in Iraq are not.

Leave a comment:

• highjumpsteve
    replied

As another "regular", I too vote to keep it T&F specific, with the occasional forays in other directions also being natural offshoots that can be both fun and interesting.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

(Of course, if for some idiotic reason the US decides to
    >boycott for security reasons then that's on-topic, i.e, see Mark Spitz's
    >comments today.)

I finally bit. The guy has gills not brains.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

>Okay, other than *iPods*.

Sorry but:

"There can be no doubt in anyone's mind that the "CD vs Vinyl" debate is the longest running and most heated debate..."

http://www.mio.co.za/article.php?cat=dj&id=152

And:

"i have never heard a digital track... that
    "beats" a analouge one.."

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php? ... f=1&t=7993

People get WAY more passionate about music than they do about track.

Leave a comment:

• doug stewart
    replied

As -- primarily -- a barely-knowledgeable lurker, I prefer to stay on-topic as much as possible. It would be almost impossible to avoid injecting religion and politics into off-topic threads. Case in point, the article which spawned this thread: What is the reason behind declining literacy? Is it permissive leftist attitudes which "validate" any form of expression, and lead to watered-down grades; or is it a right-wing assault on public funding which has left schools inadequately staffed and which punish schools for low test scores?

I'm not trying to continue the discussion of another thread, but to point out that just about anything (other than beer and iPods, perhaps) can lead to visceral feelings and quite unpleasant exchanges.

Okay, other than *iPods*.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X