Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have too much free time: most popular FIELD event these da

Any takers?
    I vote for the Vault for sheer scope of spectacle and the overall athleticism needed to be successful at it.

Re: I have too much free time: most popular FIELD event thes

Specifically the ladies' vault. The men are moribund (Bubka's fault), while several women are on the brink of jumping 16' then 5.00m. Wicked cool.

Comment

Ladies pole vault.

My favorite:
      Ladies shot put (although you are never going see it on American television).

Comment

I have to vote for a good Triple Jump comp. Bacause of the three phases there is some drama in how far the athlete is going to finish up at. I've seen people nail the first two phases and then peter out on the last causing huge groans from the crowd. I also like a good Long Jump (US World trials in New York in '91. I was three rows off the pit with a full stadium on that side. Anyone who was there will recall it.
        And then there is the women's high jump...

Comment

Hey, guys, last time I looked it was not a requirement that in order to compete in the women's pole vault, you had to be a lady.

Comment

and your point is . . . ? Most of them could whip your (well, mine anyway) butt, so don't be dissing them.

Comment

Most popular event has always been--and probably always will be--the pole vault. No other event spurs an "ooo" or an "ahhhh" with every attempt no matter the distance/height. Any meet promoter who doesn't have a vault in his meet is nuts.

Comment

I am trying to convert from the 1,500m to the vault (and it has been a huge learning curve). Though I love the 1,500m, I feel the vault offers greater challenge. I don:t have rabbits in the vault!

Comment

One of the appeals of the vault to me (as a coach and competitor) is all the variables. The numbers alone are intriguing:
                  a. What length pole do I use?
                  b. What weight rating (flex#)?
                  c. What shall my grip height be?
                  d. How many strides in the run up?
                  e. After determining how many strides (e.g., 9 lefts), what should my mark be? 100'? 102'? depends on runway surface, wind, how I'm feeling, precipitation, etc.
                  f. where is my takeoff mark? Am I under or over?
                  g. where shall I put my standards? 40cm? 50cm?
                  h. at what height shall I open?
                  i. should I pass certain heights?

Add in an incredibly complex technique, with all of its attendant problems, the fear factor (will I get rejected by my new stiffer pole? Will I overbend and miss the pit?), and under- or over-confidence factors, and you've got a world class chess match set up. The coach-athlete trust is an absolute must. Coaches' adjustments in mid-comp are often critical. So much nuance!

Comment

You really know how to take the fun out of being a spectator don't you? Run down runway, stick pole in hole, fly in air, don't knock off bar.

Comment

>Most popular event has always been--and probably always will be--the pole vault.<

One of the things that I learned very early in my many years of being a track fan is that women love the pole vault. Everyone I ever dated said it was their favorite event.

It didn't take me long to figure out why.

Comment

Isn't this whole thread a clue for that calendar site to chime in with it's pics of women pole vaulters? By the way, my favorite event is the hammer throw: each spin gets faster and faster and the wire and ball whipping around glinting in the sun, and then the release, a yell, a long long distance (longer than the discus, and you can SEE it easier) and then a satisfying thump and a smug hole in the turf. And the off-balance poor technique throws are interesting when the ball slams into the side of the cage and gets entangled.

Comment

Long jump

Comment

I guess I've sat through too many interminable waits while a vaulter gets his anal retentive technicities all right, then wait for the freakin' wind to be right, then hoist the pole up, start to run, stop, go back, wait for the wind to be right, hoist the pole up, run down the runway, plant with perfect timing and outstanding speed, and go under the bar.

High Jump/Long Jump/Triple Jump...run fast, put your foot down...fly! Javelin/Hammer/Discus..Watch 'em flyyyyyy!
                            Pole Vault...Yawn! What does a pole vault comp last 7, 8 hours?

I know I'm going to get blasted here...but hey, it's all good fun.

Comment

Being the avid high jump fan I am, I would have to say the high jump! Uhhh...yeah the high jump! Of course this is probably just in my own head ! Does popular mean slump??
                              If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Working...
                              X