Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Ryun's 57th b-day

Today's the birthday of America's greatest miling talent (ever).

Re: Jim Ryun's 57th b-day

He might have been the greatest miling talent ever, period. He obvioulsy never reached his potential.

Nice article from a few years ago on Ryun and his potential, and his career - and what was facing Webb after breaking Ryun's record: http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/ ... /webb.html

Webb has indeed had some setbacks.

Comment

This is a well written, interesting article...thanks for sharing. Ryun's career was spectacular in two ways: the show of his immense talent and the shortness of his success...he had three great years (1965,66 and 67) and then experienced multiple set backs that kept him from ever showing his true ability.

I believe if he could have kept his '65-'67 momentum for three more years he would been the first under 3:50 with ease, and probably more like 3:45-47.

Comment

HOW did Satch know Ryun your favorite ? PSYCHIC powers, superior intellect. your biggest fan Karnak W. Satchman

Comment

BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIM RYAN.DID YOU GET A CALL FROM BILLY MILLS OR DID THEY GIVE U A CAKE AT KANSAS RELAYS.
          U SHOULD RUN FOR VICE PRESIDENT.

Comment

>He might have been the greatest miling talent ever, period. He obvioulsy never
            >reached his potential.

Boy, the standards some of you guys have is insane. He set world records and won an Olympic silver medal. I'd say his potential was fulfilled quite well.
            "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

Lee--I think you have to agree that any middle distance runner who sets world records at age 19 and 20 (and then never substantially improves on those times) had much more potential...

Comment

Ryun started suffering from mono, asthma, and allergies and a lot of this held him back later on in his career. Once this kind of thing hits you, you're not firing on all cylinders. He did well to continue past 1968 (I'm not sure when this stuff really started hitting him hard). The medications back in those days were terrible compared to today.

People like Shorter and Rodgers get a lot of credit (plus Pre), but Ryun inspired a whole generation of distance runners and people are still in awe of his achievements. And he didn't even get a movie!

Comment

>Lee--I think you have to agree that any middle distance runner who sets world
                  >records at age 19 and 20 (and then never substantially improves on those times)
                  >had much more potential...

he reached his potential at age 20 , he no longer had the will or desire to continue, if he did have that desire he would have continued , yes?. how did you conclude how much potential he had. I thought when your done , your done .

Comment

Saw Jim destroy the 3:54+ at-the-time-WR (Jazy?) in Berkeley by ALOT...glory days!

Comment

Working...
                    X