Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early 2011 steppers-up (long post warning)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powell
    replied
    Re: Early 2011 steppers-up (long post warning)

Originally posted by Powell
    Originally posted by LopenUupunut
    mPV - Wojciechowski

Just to keep Powell happy, even though he's been unable to duplicate his 586 indoor form.
    Wojciechowski is a ? at the moment. But remember, this indoor season he started out with a few competitions at around 5.40 before setting that NR. I'm still hoping he has a similar breakthrough outdoors - the Euro U23 would be a good time to do it.
    And so he did. Good win at the Euro U23, and a new outdoor PB of 5.70. Not quite the A standard, but he will almost certainly be selected for Daegu on the strength of this performance.
    And now 5.81 in Rio de Janeiro. This puts him in joint 3rd place on the world list this season.

Leave a comment:

• nevetsllim
    replied

Arigawi looks to be making her season's debut in Monaco on Friday.

Leave a comment:

• LopenUupunut
    replied

Yes, El-Sheryf does seem to belong

Santiusti goes below 1:59 at Padua:

1 4I 1 SANTIUSTI Yuneisy 1984 W CUB CUBA (PB) 1:58.91
    2 5I 3 TUTAYEVA Yuliya 1988 W RUS RUSSIA 2:00.00
    3 3I 4 BECKWITH Molly 1987 W USA UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 2:00.07
    4 6I 2 WRIGHT Phoebe 1988 W USA UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 2:00.20
    5 7E 6 JACKSON Emma 1988 W GBR G. BRITAIN & N.IRELAND 2:00.26
    6 6E 5 MOORE Erica 1988 W USA UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 2:01.09
    7 8E 12 MAGISO Fantu 1992 W ETH ETHIOPIA 2:01.53
    8 1I 8 BARRINGER SIMPSON Jenni 1986 W USA UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 2:01.98
    9 3E 21 WURTH-THOMAS Christin 1980 W USA UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 2:02.41
    10 7I 9 HERMANSSON JANUSZEWSKI 1986 W USA UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 2:02.83
    11 1E 11 ROWBURY Shannon 1984 W USA UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 2:06.57
        2I 7 CUSMA Elisa 1981 W ITA ITALY DNF
        8I 10 MACLEAN Leanna 1980 W CAN CANADA DNF

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied

mPV - Wojciechowski

Just to keep Powell happy, even though he's been unable to duplicate his 586 indoor form.
    Wojciechowski is a ? at the moment. But remember, this indoor season he started out with a few competitions at around 5.40 before setting that NR. I'm still hoping he has a similar breakthrough outdoors - the Euro U23 would be a good time to do it.
    And so he did. Good win at the Euro U23, and a new outdoor PB of 5.70. Not quite the A standard, but he will almost certainly be selected for Daegu on the strength of this performance.

There's one more Pole who I think deserves to be on that list: Pawe? Fajdek in HT. He set a PB in pouring rain to finish second in the ETC, and recently he improved by over a meter (to 78.13) in Madrid and finished second against a field that included 4 of the top 5 throwers this year.

He's now in the top 10 on the world list, and seeing how miserable the HT is looking nowadays, you never know what might happen - 78-meter throws have won medals in recent years.
    He confirmed in Ostrava that he's becoming a force to be reckoned with. Another PB of 78.54, and a few more throws over 77. He's now training with Czes?aw Cybulski - that's the coach who took Anita W?odarczyk from zero to WR in something like 5 years, and earlier coached Szymon Zió?kowski to Olympic and WCh golds. And it's obviously working well for Fajdek as well.

And I suppose we now have to add Sheryf El-Sheryf to the list.

Leave a comment:

• LopenUupunut
    replied

Erinš's weak spots seem to be pole vault and high jump. Janis Karlivans (the previous holder of the Latvian NR) wasn't much of a pole vaulter either...

I can't help but be reminded of Janis Dimza, who was having a brilliant decathlon at the '32 Olympics until injuring himself in the pole vault. Has there been a curse on Latvian decathletes ever since?

Leave a comment:

• DecFan
    replied

Thanks, LopenUupunut, for an excellent and informative post.

You wrote:
    mDec - Knobel and Erinš

OK, maybe Eaton too, but he's such a gigantic non-surprise it's hard to forget he hasn't been around for ages.

(Erinš who? The new Latvian record holder, who has improved his lifetime best by a nice & succulent 351 points to an internationally noteworthy 8312.)
    A bit more info on these two:

Knobel is 22 years old, and has been competing in multi-events since 2008. Prior to 2011, he had started 7 senior decathlons and only finished 3, with a PR of 7753. His DNFs include 2 PV no heights, a zero in the LJ, and a zero in the DT (I don't know if these were 3 fouls or injury withdrawals). Two of those DNFs came in 2010 - the only decathlons he competed in last year. At Gotzis 2010 he was well on his way to a score right around 8000 when he no-heighted the PV. This year at Gotzis he had a major breakthrough, placing 5th in 8288, hitting decathlon PRs in the SP 15.48, hurdles 14.77, DT 46.68, PV 4.96, JT 72.99, and 1500 4:43.39. That's a 535 point PR.

Does Knobel have the additional 250-300 points in him if he is to threaten for a medal in Daegu? His PR's now add up to only 8457, so one wouldn't think so. Plus, the number of DNFs is worrying. If he were in medal contention come the PV, could he take the pressure? But he is young, his trajectory is Eatonesque (though 450 points lower), and, since 6 of his decathlon PRs are from this year, he may well continue to improve. Note that prior to Gotzis 2009, Knobel's countryman Schrader's decathlon PRs only summed to 8365, yet he scored 8522. exceeding the sum of his decathlon PRs by 157 points.

As for Erinš: He is 25 years old, and has been competing in multi-events since he was 17. He's been quite active indoors, with a heptathlon PR of 5787 dating from 2008. Prior to 2011, his decathlon PR was 7961 from 2007. His PRs now add to 8507. In his breakthrough 8312, he set PRs in the 100 10.79, LJ 7.67, hurdles 14.56, DT 49.94, PV 4.50, and 1500 4:14.25.

An older athlete than Knobel who has been competing in multievents much longer, I wouldn't think Erinš has as much potential for a Schrader-like breakthrough in Daegu. But it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied

Yes, Strutz definitely belongs, though as nevets indicated she's far from being a total newcomer. She was 5th at Euro Champs back in '06.

I guess I don't follow PV as closely as, say, javelin. :wink:
    Few can be well-versed in all the events from the top to newcomers, which is why such a thread with a very good beginning is interesting as we wait for the season to unfold, and this does some to be a season a bit slow to unfold, as we do not know the true status of athletes from Bolt on down through other major competitors (although one thrower certainly decreased the uncertainty of his condition lately).

Leave a comment:

• LopenUupunut
    replied

Yes, Strutz definitely belongs, though as nevets indicated she's far from being a total newcomer. She was 5th at Euro Champs back in '06.

I guess I don't follow PV as closely as, say, javelin. :wink:

Leave a comment:

• nevetsllim
    replied

Strutz is a very good call. Where's she been for the past few years?

Her last five competitons have been 4.70m, 4.71m, 4.70m, 4.70m, 4.70m.

EDIT: And her WL of 4.78m

Leave a comment:

• GROW
    replied

You definately missed Martina Strutz in the Women´s Pole Vault.
    She jumps consistently 4.70m week after week. And today she smashed the german record and jumped 4.78. The best height this far in the year.
    And definately a medal contender in Daegu !

Did you know her before the year ?

Leave a comment:

• croflash
    replied

Great post and great thread. Maybe we are in a bit of a transition period right now, some events have been rather underwhelming so far whereas in other events young athletes are emerging.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied

Yes, it looks like you're right about the injury. I guess I haven't been following things enough.

Leave a comment:

• LopenUupunut
    replied

OK, I couldn't find anything on him in English so I had this Google translated, and that as we all know is highly unreliable.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied

I haven't heard anything about injury. I think he re-retired and went back to a full-time job after he missed top 6 at the Euros and thus didn't qualify for top-level funding.

Leave a comment:

• LopenUupunut
    replied

Yes, Fajdek is developing nicely - especially when you consider that most of the top dogs are at least 9-10 years older than him, up to the 15½ of apparent current #1 Nicola Vizzoni.

This talk of Polish hammer guys made me wonder where Kondratowicz is - looks like he got injured and re-retired?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X