• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powell
    replied
    Re: World Military Games, Rio de Janeiro

Originally posted by Powell
    Not sure what happened to Malachowski - he was 10th with 53 meters :?
    The story is he felt pain in his knee during his first throw. It's not yet certain if it's serious. He will be examined tomorrow, after coming back from Brazil.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied

No women's pole vault? :?

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied

Not too many vaults higher than 5.81 this year.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied

Pawel Wojciechowski won the PV with 5.81, ahead of Lukasz Michalski 5.65. Not sure what happened to Malachowski - he was 10th with 53 meters :?

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied

Zhang Wenxiu won the women's HT with 74.29.

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied

Here's a link if you want to see what they look like with their military uniforms on
    Damn, did the photographer ask them to pose like serial killers? :shock: At least Marta ignored instructions.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied

Femi Ogunode of Qatar won the 100 in 10.07 ahead of Aziz Ouhadi 10.17.
    On the women's side, Mariya Ryemyen won in 11.34. Olesya Povh was only 3rd behind Brazilian Ana Silva.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied

Efficient, but small

Leave a comment:

• LopenUupunut
    replied

Our only athlete (Ari Mannio) wins gold... efficient military, huh?

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied

I don't think there were World Military Games circa 1953. There was an US Armed Forces Meet and all athletes were active duty members of their branch of the service. I was selected for the Army team but wiser heads decided my Engineer MOS could be put to better use in Korea and I was long gone before the meet. If it ever happened.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied

Originally posted by GDAWG
    I don't know what the rules would be if a sprinter/hurdler from one of the service academies or on military reserve wanted to compete with the likes of Carmelita Jeter, Walter Dix, Jeremy Wariner, Sanya Richards, David Oliver or Batman Jackson at the USA Nationals.
    The normal eligibility rules apply, being in the US Military doesn't give you any special privileges at USAs except that you can represent the branch of the military you are in.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied

I was surprised to see they have heats in the men's 10000 meters. It's been a long time since I last saw rounds being run at this distance in any championship event.
    And in Rio at that.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied

Originally posted by nevetsllim
    I wonder how many of the big names will show. I remember looking at the entry-lists for the 2007 event and quite a lot of the major athletes didn't turn up.
    All the major names I mentioned in the HJ and 800 meters did turn up. Both of these finals should be pretty hot. Some of the others perhaps not so much.

I was surprised to see they have heats in the men's 10000 meters. It's been a long time since I last saw rounds being run at this distance in any championship event.

Leave a comment:

• GDAWG
    replied

What sort of involvement do these athletes have with their nation's military? I notice Jadel Gregorio's on the entry-lists and he's spent most of the past few years living in the NE of England!

I wonder how many of the big names will show. I remember looking at the entry-lists for the 2007 event and quite a lot of the major athletes didn't turn up.
    I don't know about other countries, but for those who represent the United States, either a part of the military or had attended one of the service academies. However, the United States isn't expected to dominate the track and field portion of these games.

There may be a case though where there's a foreign born athlete serving in the United States Military and therefore representing the United States at these games, as was the case of Omolade Akinremi. She represented Nigeria when she won the 2003 African Games in the 400 Meter Hurdles and yet took a silver and bronze for the United States in the 2003 Military Games as a member of the United States Military.

I don't know what the rules would be if a sprinter/hurdler from one of the service academies or on military reserve wanted to compete with the likes of Carmelita Jeter, Walter Dix, Jeremy Wariner, Sanya Richards, David Oliver or Batman Jackson at the USA Nationals.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied

What sort of involvement do these athletes have with their nation's military?
    Most of the Polish team are listed as privates/ lance corporals, with only a couple of full corporals, so I don't suppose they're full-time soldiers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X